GAS !!

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
Can any one tell me what I need to do about gas when going abroad, I am going for a year and need to know if I need to change fittings etc

Many thanks

JohnT

Jul 31, 2006
Visit site
John,

If you're going for that long you'd need to buy the bottles & fittings localy (in the country you're staying in long term)

If you're touring then the only "universal" type is camping Gaz, but thats going to be expensive unless you're hooked up to electric & then cook electric as well

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
John,

If you're going for that long you'd need to buy the bottles & fittings localy (in the country you're staying in long term)

If you're touring then the only "universal" type is camping Gaz, but thats going to be expensive unless you're hooked up to electric & then cook electric as well
Thanks for that. I may buy a small two burner to use out doors in the awarning

Cheers

JOhnT

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
What country(ies) are you going into, John, and for roughly how long in each ?

Les C.
We are looking at going from Amsterdam all the way down to Spain, we are taking a year off (not just for students!!) so we will be going through most of Europe

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

As I've found and posted on other sites, I have found that a French Propane bottle has the same fitment as a British butane 3 1/2 kgs 'dumpy' bottle ie left hand thread male.

If your van is post 2005 you can use a butane pigtail to connect directly to the french bottle and, at 15kgs, it will last you yonks.

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
About 12 years ago, whilst in Spain, I bought a Spanish propane bottle at a flea market for about a fiver, then a new Spanish gas regulator. Ever since then, when I leave Spain heading for home, I do so with a full Spanish bottle, which is not used, the remains of my British gas being used for that journey. On the next trip to Spain, I leave home with a full British bottle and a full Spanish bottle, and I travel using the Spanish bottle. For the duration of the journey down and the (quite lengthy) stay in Spain, the British bottle is only used for the occasions when the Spanish bottle runs out when the roast beef and yorkshire pudd are being cooked and a bridging period is required until the Spanish bottle can be renewed. Finally, when the time comes to start off again for home, the British bottle goes on full time and a full Spanish bottle is brought home. Works a treat - inexpensive - just two bottles.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
"the British bottle is only used for the occasions when the Spanish bottle runs out when the roast beef and yorkshire pudd are being cooked"

Well as a full bodied Yorkshireman, I can only say that the last thing that I would eat in Spain is a traditional Sunday dinner!

Be adventurous and eat Spanish food.

Incidentally in Yorkshire we call liquorish - Spanish.

That's for reasons known only to ourselves!!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
"the British bottle is only used for the occasions when the Spanish bottle runs out when the roast beef and yorkshire pudd are being cooked"

Well as a full bodied Yorkshireman, I can only say that the last thing that I would eat in Spain is a traditional Sunday dinner!

Be adventurous and eat Spanish food.

Incidentally in Yorkshire we call liquorish - Spanish.

That's for reasons known only to ourselves!!!
I meant liquorice of course!!

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site

It's called a figure of speech, Mr. Evans. They are often used to illustrate something in a semi-humorous way when the event does not really take place, e.g. I jumped out of my skin, or I was over the moon. Having said that, the event of eating roast beef and yorks pudd (which I have been doing, in Yorkshire, for in excess of 3 score years and 10) does sometimes occur in Spain/Morocco etc. If I was spending 6 months in the Artic Circle, I certainly would not spend the entire period eating whale blubber.

No, my wife and I are very familiar with the Spanish cuisine, but it did not seem appropriate to quote one of their splendid dishes as an example without seeming to be trying to over-impress any reader with our familiarity with the local offerings, particularly as the subject we were discussing at the time related to the transporting of gas to foreign parts.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

It's called a figure of speech, Mr. Evans. They are often used to illustrate something in a semi-humorous way when the event does not really take place, e.g. I jumped out of my skin, or I was over the moon. Having said that, the event of eating roast beef and yorks pudd (which I have been doing, in Yorkshire, for in excess of 3 score years and 10) does sometimes occur in Spain/Morocco etc. If I was spending 6 months in the Artic Circle, I certainly would not spend the entire period eating whale blubber.

No, my wife and I are very familiar with the Spanish cuisine, but it did not seem appropriate to quote one of their splendid dishes as an example without seeming to be trying to over-impress any reader with our familiarity with the local offerings, particularly as the subject we were discussing at the time related to the transporting of gas to foreign parts.
Well done sir - I agree.

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site

Sorry if I came across as a bit arsey - look what time of day it was !!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts