Jun 11, 2020
Visit site
Hello everyone. Can anyone please tell me how to work gas supply to a swift charisma 235 van 2004 model. Have turned on gas bottle and isolation taps under sink under sink tried both positions still nothing to any appliance Many thanks

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you are not competent with working with gas, you should refer it to a professional.

Bearing in mind the age of the caravan 2004 when was the gas system last serviced?

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hello everyone. Can anyone please tell me how to work gas supply to a swift charisma 235 van 2004 model. Have turned on gas bottle and isolation taps under sink under sink tried both positions still nothing to any appliance Many thanks
i would take it to a caravan dealer and he will show how the gas supply works and has the caravan had a service if not get it done ..

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Go with the Profs advice.
I assume the gas bottle has gas in it?
Is it correct.y connected?
Do you have a bulkhead isolation valve?
When was the flexible gas hose from gas bottle last changed?
Mmm , go with the Prof’s advice before you shed tears.

Jun 11, 2020
Visit site
Go with the Profs advice.
I assume the gas bottle has gas in it?
Is it correct.y connected?
Do you have a bulkhead isolation valve?
When was the flexible gas hose from gas bottle last changed?
Mmm , go with the Prof’s advice before you shed tears.
Regulator on bottle, plenty of gas . Even disconnected hose from reg and turned it on slightly to check reg and gas coming through. Asked a service man to come and sort it. Could probably keep following it through but it’s easier to get a man who can. Flex hose was next step. Many thanks for reply. Kind regards

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I remember someone having a problem with the gas pigtail, nothing visually wrong but changing it solved the no gas problem.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Is the lid to the cooker fully up. As this has a gas shut off on it. Lift the lid fully up, can you hear gas flowing when you push in the burner knobs and turn on.

Reactions: Lpgc
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Sometimes even lifting the lid doesn’t allow the interlocks to function and cleaning is required. But generally a few lifts and lowers frees it up.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Probably an issue with the bulkhead regulator as that was a common issue at one point and also the pigtail need to be changed.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The interlock on the hob lid will only control the hob, it would not explain the failure of the ther appliances.

The OP has stated its a regulator on the bottle, but despite that it might still be regulator issue.

Overall I believe the most sensible and safe way is to have it all checked by a professional.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I would go for the regulator as Buckman says, although I am not sure for a 2004 model it will be a bulkhead one. There certainly was a problem with them about that time, where the regulator was fastened higher than the bottle and the got clogged up with gunge.

Reactions: Dustydog

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There certainly was a problem with them about that time, where the regulator was fastened higher than the bottle and the got clogged up with gunge.

The problem was that on early vans using the bulkhead regulator, it was mounted LOWER than the top of the gas cylinder, and that was thought to be the reason for the failures.
However, even when mounted higher, there were still failures.

As far as the OP is concerned, I am pretty sure that vans of that age did have the bulkhead regulator fitted, so his reference to a cylinder mounted unit is somewhat at odds, unless a previous owner has "modified" the gas system.
Until he comes back with more info, and preferably with some photos it cannot be solved.
As he has said he has an engineer going to look at it I am sure he will get resolution.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I am going with, a blocked Pigtail.
Prof I said about lifting the hob lid and listening for gas/air expulsion to ensure gas was getting through to one appliance.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
In addition the the valve on the gas bottle and that somewhere in the caravan, you may find there is another mounted on or close to the pressure regulator usually in the front locker close to the gas bottle. This makes 3 things which all have to be open before gas gets to the appliance.
Such a valve may have a small lever which needs to be in line with the main pipe and not sideways at 90 degrees to it. My caravan and the previous one both have/had this feature but they were of more recent build than yours. Worth a look.

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Is the lid to the cooker fully up. As this has a gas shut off on it. Lift the lid fully up, can you hear gas flowing when you push in the burner knobs and turn on.
Hi Hutch,
Not all cookers have a gas cut-off valve operated by the glass lid. The cooker in our Bailey caravan cooker didn't have one fitted.The glass lid exploded when we inadvertantly closed the lid when one of the gas rings was still on !

Reactions: Hutch

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Hutch,
Not all cookers have a gas cut-off valve operated by the glass lid. The cooker in our Bailey caravan cooker didn't have one fitted.The glass lid exploded when we inadvertantly closed the lid when one of the gas rings was still on !

That is absolutely correct, not all cookers have the gas shut off valve as a safety measure with the lid.
Never "assume" it has, as Bertieboy has found out to his cost.

Last edited:
Reactions: ProfJohnL and Hutch

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts