Apr 14, 2008
Visit site
Having read David Klynes account of his trip to Germany, we changed our plans and have just returned from a month there. As it is such a large country we only saw a part of it, but came back very keen to return and see more. We had lovely (if cold) weather for most of the time, and the autumn tree colours were incredible. Best of all was the friendliness of the people we met (Oh - and the beer!). Once south of the Rhine Gorge we did not see another UK car for 3 weeks, so if you have not been to Germany I suggest you consider it!

Pete

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Pete

Glad you were not disappointed. Even after 8 and a bit weeks I think we would both want to go back. We hope to go to Italy next year but part of the homeward journey could be through Germany with a few stops en route.

David

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Just a short note to let anyone deciding to travel this way know that you're welcome to look us up if we're at home. We live only 5 minutes away from the junction of the A3 and A66 motorways near Wiesbaden/Frankfurt so it's conveniently located for through traffic. You can also stop over behind our back garden and we'll throw in an electric hook up as well.

Mar 2, 2006
Visit site
Hi Lutz,

Can I book for a fortnight next june,LOL,I go to germany regularly,with the caravan and cheap fly weekends,the people are great and the sites are top quality.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
The members who have posted on this thread obviously like touring in Germany so I'd suggest that if you haven't got any constructive contribution to add to this thread then stay out of it.

Apr 14, 2008
Visit site
Robert - I am that person, and as far as I am concerned the whole point of a holiday is to get away from the normal, and immerse yourself in the local culture etc. That's why I was pleased not to see another Brit for 3 weeks. I also like France but you are much more likely to be surrounded by Brits in France.

What have you got against Germany anyway? Have you been there?

Pete

Aug 17, 2008
Visit site
Over the last 33 years I camped and caravaned in Germany almost every year and in all that time have been to France once. From this you can see that I'm not very fond of Germany. Spent 3 weeks in The Thuringer region thought it was fantastic. Missed not seeing British car though.

Bob

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
We have only spent more than 2 nights in France once. It has nothing to compare with Germany in our minds, where we have been more than 40 times, sometimes going twice a year Spring/Summer and Christmas Markets in December. The sites are superb, the people much more friendly. Lots of Towns and Villages are wonderful, fairy tale places. We particularly love the Mosel with wonderful Trier, Bernkastel Kues, Zell, Cochem and many more villages, the Rhine area and Bavaria with Rothenburg am der Tauber + all the towns along the Romantiche Strasse down to Fussen and the Neuschwanstein Castle. Have not been to much of northern Germany but did enjoy Colditz, Coburg and Bamburg. The cities of Frankfurt and Munich are lovely too. Give us Germany every time we are also glad it is not overun with Brits like France.

Di

Dec 28, 2005
Visit site
Most people touring Germany (understandably) aim for Bavaria etc i.e. the southern half of the country. However, the northern regions also have an awful lot to offer, particularly the Baltic coast. L

Apr 25, 2008
Visit site
For those of you that have never considered germany as a holiday destination,you dont know what you are missing,have a look at this website www.germany-tourism.co.uk you will not be disapointed.

Allen

Dec 4, 2008
Visit site
I met a guy on a French site this year who told me the Germans will not allow the chemicals from a toilet to be disposed of in the usual way. He had installed a SOG system which wafts the offending fumes out of the side of the van so no need to use chemicals. Is this true? Has anyone come across these regulations?

Apr 14, 2008
Visit site
All the sites we were on this year in Germany had "normal" chemical waste toilet dumps, and no-one said anything to me about a different system. We always use the "Green" stuff anyway, but they didn't know that.

Pete

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
It is true that, in Germany, toilet waste containing chemicals must not be disposed of in the same way as regular waste water, but this is a problem for the campsite owner to solve, not for the caravanner. Chemicals may therefore be used by caravanners in Germany, but waste containing such chemicals must be collected in separate tanks.

Nov 29, 2007
Visit site
You're right Lutz. The owners of my overnight stop site solved the problem by putting up a sign saying chemicals were not to be disposed of at the waste emptying point. A bit late when you only find out as you go to empty the cassette!

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
In general, pretty well all campsites have an emptying point specifically for waste water containing chemicals so you should not run into a problem. In Germany, such waste water is declared hazardous and must not be disposed of through normal household drainage systems.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts