Germanys Baltic coast

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I don't know how good your German is but the German Auto Club ADAC has an excellent website if you're looking for campsites in Germany. I've always found it very reliable and it gives quite comprehensive information on each site. If you're looking for a general overview of what's available, try:

http://accf.dialogmediencenter.de/acfwebcd/servlet/DataServlet
On the left hand side of the page there's an icon 'Wohin?' - i.e. where to? Enter 'Ostsee' (= Baltic Sea) an you'll get a list of 394 sites along the Baltic coast. You can refine the search by selecting only the German sites 'Ostsee (D)'. This will leave you with 98 sites in Germany itself. If you have any difficulty, write me an email (lschel@aol.com) and I'll help.

There's a bigger selection of sites on the old West German side. On the whole, they are also better equipped and offer more facilities but, as to be expected, they are more expensive. Quite a number of sites on the ex-East German side are, at least partially, naturist. The ADAC guide, however, does warn you which sites these are.

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Lutz, Ich nur spreche ein bischen Deutche but don't usually have a problem communicating and navigating around German websites and generally figuring out what they are saying.

I was kind of banking on a reply from you, knowing how proactive you are on the forum, I'll check out the website and mail you with anything I'm uncertain of. Do you have any personal recommendations?

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I can't recommend any particular campsite on the coast because, to be fair, I've only used them as overnight stopovers on my way to Denmark or Sweden but if you find one in the ADAC campsite guide that takes your fancy and you want a second opinion, just let me know.

By the way, what time of the year are thinking of going? Like seaside resorts anywhere else in Europe they can be crowded in July and August.

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
I can't recommend any particular campsite on the coast because, to be fair, I've only used them as overnight stopovers on my way to Denmark or Sweden but if you find one in the ADAC campsite guide that takes your fancy and you want a second opinion, just let me know.

By the way, what time of the year are thinking of going? Like seaside resorts anywhere else in Europe they can be crowded in July and August.
It just happens to be August, we don't usually book any campsites in Europe and as there are quite a few in the area I'm sure that we'll find 1 when we arrive there, it's just nice knowing where they are located and what kind of facilities they have.

It's been a few years since we've been up around that area as we tend to wander around central and eastern Europe chasing the Grand Prix circus, but this year they've messed up the calendar and the only race in August is in Turkey which we won't have the time to get too.

The last time was in 1990 when we sailed from Danmark to Puttgarden before driving down to Berlin to help knock the wall down. The plan is to spend 2 weeks around that area and with 2 children these days it looks like it should be good fun. Although normally we are mountain and lake people, I'm sure we'll find plenty to fill the time.

The ADAC site looks good, with lots of sites listed as you said, it's also good to be able to see where they are located on the map before looking at the detail, but it's a pity that there's no active links to the websites mentioned for the campsites. It looks like my printers going to be working overtime this weekend.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Don't be too put off because of August. There are enough sites along the coast so that, even if you don't book ahead (and by the way, I never do, either) you can still be sure of finding a vacant pitch somewhere without driving too far so long as you don't wait until late in the evening until starting your search. My experience is that so long as I start looking around before around 5pm, I'm nearly always lucky first time even if it's not always the pitch in the first row with an unobstructed view to the beach.

Yes, it is a shame that the ADAC guide doesn't have very many links to the websites of the individual campsites (where they have one) but that is really the only shortcoming of their online campsite guide. Otherwise the information is pretty comprehensive and, above all, reliable. If necessary, Google has usually helped me whenever I really would like to know more.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts