Getting around the bed in Pastiche 575

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Hello all, very long time since I've been on here. We've now bought a brand new Pastiche 575 which we collected in July. We have only managed to use it 4 times due to family and work commitments but we absolutely love everything about the van ... apart from the fact that it's nigh on impossible to get past the bed once it's in night time mode which is a pain in the proverbial to say the least (not for me but for OH as I sleep the side nearest the bathroom)

How do other owners feel this affects them in any way or am I being over sensitive? OH has bought a bottle ... no need for me to say anymore on this subject!

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We have looked at this in showroom models and wondered ourselves. Before buying we would need to have it in night mode and see if we felt we could live with it. This is something that looks to be a problem across all makes.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have looked at this layout in most makes, all have the problem, even the 8 feet wide bodies, together with the almost useless narrow wardrobe on the side nearest the washroom, so we are keeping our current layout with island bed at the back running lengthways, as both can get around the bed, compromise is the small bathroom, but we spend more time in bed than the bathroom.

Sep 21, 2017
Visit site
Whilst in France earlier this year, we with our 2014 Hymer ( fixed single beds ) were parked next to another English couple with their brand new Hymer 590 ( transverse double ) both admiring it from the outside my wife was invited to " look in " and very nice it was too, though again in bed mode the transverse bed did not allow passage to loo even at 8' wide. Since returning we have purchased a new model but decided on the 580 with single beds.
After being fortunate enough to have purchased many new 'vans we've come to the conclusion compromises will always have to be made. As good as ours is I would definitely take 6" off the length of the beds and add this to the Toilet / shower room.
Happy caravanning.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
We had a VIP 2010 545 with the end bed, great but the bed was so close to the shower and toilet wall , maybe 12" that if you forgot to put the duvet up as youngot out of the shower the duvet kept getting wet, bought the 560 three years later. With side bed.
And like Woodsieboy, more time in bed than the bathroom. :p

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
It's all too easy for people to get carried away in the heat of the moment and then find they have to compromise where they didn't realise they had to.

Any number of nearly new vans are always on the market because of issues that people didn't notice when they bought it. In. our van the toilet is our compromise so always have to use a bottle day or night. We knew this when we bought it and decided it wasn't a problem for us and Lady Therapy just carries on emptying like she does at home.

Soldlisa04, good to see you back on the forum. I suppose really it's just a case of whether you love the van enough to live with the issue or not.

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all your comments. We did try the bed in night time mode, but without the topper and quilt plus all the blankets i seem to accumulate it gave a false impression ... However, that said, the van is lovely and does suit our needs. I make sure I'm the side nearest the bathroom as it's the only side i can sleep on (can't stand breathing anyone else's air lol). The quality and layout (for us) is brilliant and we feel that we can live with the fact that during night-time we cannot get around the bed. OH purchased specially designed legs that he put under the bed to support the floating end, no more ominous creaking when it's fully extended, so that's a good thing. Looking forward to longer stays in the van to put it fully through it's paces.

Now all I need to do is encourage Dusty Dog to actually stay in his bed and not pin my legs down and all will be well! :)

P.S. can someone refresh my memory on how to change the details on my profile re. car and van please? Thanks.

Oct 29, 2007
Visit site
soldlisa04 said:
Hello all, very long time since I've been on here. We've now bought a brand new Pastiche 575 which we collected in July. We have only managed to use it 4 times due to family and work commitments but we absolutely love everything about the van ... apart from the fact that it's nigh on impossible to get past the bed once it's in night time mode which is a pain in the proverbial to say the least (not for me but for OH as I sleep the side nearest the bathroom)

How do other owners feel this affects them in any way or am I being over sensitive? OH has bought a bottle ... no need for me to say anymore on this subject!

Hi, we have a 2016 Swift Challenger 580 & had the same problem, the way we got around this was (it'll only work if you're of "limited stature" I'm 5'6" & SWMBO is 4'11") when you pull the bed out to put it into night mode, when you put in the mattress infill at the head of the bed (if you've got one that is) don't put in the "normal" way but rather put it on its edge so its higher than the mattress, you won't notice this when your pillows are in place, but it will give you an extra 2+ inches clearance at the bottom of the bed, this doesn't sound a lot, but believe me it makes all the difference!

Apr 6, 2017
Visit site
We have the Vision 575/4 which has the transverse bed.
We looked at the more up market versions with Alde heating but decided against in due to the radiator at the foot of the bed made in near impossible to squeeze past.
Even our vision is a little bit tight once you have got a duvet overhanging the end of the bed and care has to be taken to avoid the window blind handle that has been carefully positioned to remove a kidney when passing.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello GD

I think it may help the manufacturer if you report your experience to them, They may do something about the window blind catch which could be a H&S issue.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
GD we had a 2010 VIP 545 with the island bed, and the duvet was always getting wet when we forgot to throw it back onto the bed from the shower. Great van but went to the 560 with the side bed. And love this style.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts