Go Outdoors

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The company had financial problems before any lockdown occurred and like some other well known names had outstretched themselves too far. When they first opened their prices were below local outdoor outlets but then the other outdoor outlets responded accordingly. Our local one which has three stores in the area started to give 15% discount to customers who had an advert from the local paper, then extended it to CC, CCC, DoE etc too. They give a good personal service which includes online and bespoke ordering of harder to get items or clothes sizes. So it's been rare for quite a while for us to visit Go Outdoors.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
When we wewnt to Go Outdoors in Swansea we had to "buy" a membership card before purchasing anything. We declined and left and have never been back to one since.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
You only had to buy the membership card if you wanted the displayed price which (often no clearly shown) was the discounted price. Otherwise you paid the full price which was also on the item ticket but in smaller font.

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I think that the card was only about £5 for the year, but with their plethora of discounts for various clubs, DoE etc it was neigh impossible to gauge the total cost of your shopping trolley. But as said above it is not good news for the staff concerned.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
When we wewnt to Go Outdoors in Swansea we had to "buy" a membership card before purchasing anything. We declined and left and have never been back to one since.

Took the same stance, not a business model suiting anyone not a regular, local or big spending buyer, we fit into none of those.

Friend started using them for cheaper Calorlite exchanges, but I heard they were then starved of stock making his gas exchanges too difficult.

That all said a pity an option is going and the jobs with it.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
it very sad for the employees i use the one where i live got a membership card i use to buy Fishing Tackle and lots of stuff for caravanning

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
It looks like putting Go Outdoor into Administration was a way to get rid of its debts legally. JD Sport it back for around £56M according to another forum?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It looks like putting Go Outdoor into Administration was a way to get rid of its debts legally. JD Sport it back for around £56M according to another forum?
These pre pack arrangements only serve to transfer the debt to someone else’s accounts. They allow badly run companies to continue. JD Sports paid £112 m for Go Outdoors four years ago. So not exactly a success story for JD Sports.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
These pre pack arrangements only serve to transfer the debt to someone else’s accounts. They allow badly run companies to continue. JD Sports paid £112 m for Go Outdoors four years ago. So not exactly a success story for JD Sports.
By taking this course of action results in smaller suppliers or companies going bust. It should be made illegal!

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
My own experiences with Go Outdoors were never really positive; the initial lower prices were followed by poor quality in long run, leading us to think they were being supplied 'seconds' by the manufacturers. It was notable when brands like The North Face stopped supplying them a good few years ago. The membership card thing eventually put us off going altogether as the card would expire between trips.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I would say prices were fairly reasonable because i brought alot of my Fishing Gear, Pole Floats, Brolly System, Hooks, leads. .
Fabsil for awning was at a great prices .
We didn"t buy many clothes because my sizes our 4XL /5XL
The membership was only £5 per Annual but it depends on how many times you use them (CustardAvenger)
For me in a wheelchair it got to be easy Access
Going to Fishing tackle Shop there always a step (no Ramp) :giggle:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts