Going abroad for a year HELP

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
Hi My name is JohnT and I am seeling all my stuff and going travelling for a year in my van with my Partner and our dog. I am looking for any sound tips that any one has. I have been caravaning for about 3 years now so have the basics for the uk travel. Any advice would be a great help

Ta

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Hi John - there's a very good posting for first-timers on the UKCS website - under Caravanning and Camping Abroad - gives all sorts of tips for your first visit. There are some links to all the websites you'll need - campsites, dogs, ferries, routes, etc., etc, plus all the ways of saving money on site fees (Camping Cheques, Touring Cheques, ACSI card, exchanging a pitch for helping out on site - and others), and tips on shopping, fuel, and what essentials you need to take. It's worth printing out the whole topic and making it bedside reading for a week or two! Then come back and post again if you've any unanswered questions. You could also look at some of the motorhome websites, as often the members of these forums do trips covering a very long time period - where many caravanners either do a couple of week holidays, or two or three months, perhaps at the beginning or end of season.

One thing I would say, is that generally camping is much easier in Europe - and peak season (when sites near the coast are more likely to be full) is much shorter than in Britain - meaning if you go further inland from mid-July to mid-August you should be able to find a pitch away from the madding crowd!

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
Hi John - there's a very good posting for first-timers on the UKCS website - under Caravanning and Camping Abroad - gives all sorts of tips for your first visit. There are some links to all the websites you'll need - campsites, dogs, ferries, routes, etc., etc, plus all the ways of saving money on site fees (Camping Cheques, Touring Cheques, ACSI card, exchanging a pitch for helping out on site - and others), and tips on shopping, fuel, and what essentials you need to take. It's worth printing out the whole topic and making it bedside reading for a week or two! Then come back and post again if you've any unanswered questions. You could also look at some of the motorhome websites, as often the members of these forums do trips covering a very long time period - where many caravanners either do a couple of week holidays, or two or three months, perhaps at the beginning or end of season.

One thing I would say, is that generally camping is much easier in Europe - and peak season (when sites near the coast are more likely to be full) is much shorter than in Britain - meaning if you go further inland from mid-July to mid-August you should be able to find a pitch away from the madding crowd!
Thamks so much Ann. I will check out the sites, I like the idea of working for the pitch.

Cheers

JohnT

G

You mention you are selling up, but will you have an address in the UK? This can be friends or relatives, but you usually need somewhere for banks to send statements, or you could find yourself cut off from funds. When you state being away for a year does this mean no return trips to the UK at all? Also are you going to work, and if so you need to consider the tax implications. If you are away for more than a financial year you can avoid UK tax. If you have a 'pot' from selling up, then consider an offshore bank account for keeping it. Get an accountant, the fees are worthwhile in not having the Inland Revenue hounding you when you return. You also need to check that your insurance cover will allow you to stay away for a year, some Companies are better than others for this. Also do not stay in any one country for more than 180 days total in any year, or you will be classed as resident and taxed on your worldly income. Most European countries run the tax year from January 1st to the 31st December.

On a practical note, check sites that are open in the winter. The ones in Spain usually are but can get quite busy with all the 'oldies' seeking winter sun. You also need to have winter as well as summer clothes so watch the load factors, especially if you take books and other hobbies etc. You may also want to look at getting a local mobile telephone SIM card as this will make your calls cheaper.

http://www.0044.co.uk/france.htm
may be of help.

Remember to keep the car taxed, or you may be stopped in France for instance. Although technically it is not required in France, not having it will lead to suspicion from the plods that you are up to no good.

Have fun whatever you do and enjoy the time away.

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
You mention you are selling up, but will you have an address in the UK? This can be friends or relatives, but you usually need somewhere for banks to send statements, or you could find yourself cut off from funds. When you state being away for a year does this mean no return trips to the UK at all? Also are you going to work, and if so you need to consider the tax implications. If you are away for more than a financial year you can avoid UK tax. If you have a 'pot' from selling up, then consider an offshore bank account for keeping it. Get an accountant, the fees are worthwhile in not having the Inland Revenue hounding you when you return. You also need to check that your insurance cover will allow you to stay away for a year, some Companies are better than others for this. Also do not stay in any one country for more than 180 days total in any year, or you will be classed as resident and taxed on your worldly income. Most European countries run the tax year from January 1st to the 31st December.

On a practical note, check sites that are open in the winter. The ones in Spain usually are but can get quite busy with all the 'oldies' seeking winter sun. You also need to have winter as well as summer clothes so watch the load factors, especially if you take books and other hobbies etc. You may also want to look at getting a local mobile telephone SIM card as this will make your calls cheaper.

http://www.0044.co.uk/france.htm
may be of help.

Remember to keep the car taxed, or you may be stopped in France for instance. Although technically it is not required in France, not having it will lead to suspicion from the plods that you are up to no good.

Have fun whatever you do and enjoy the time away.
WOW

Thanks for all that, so many things to consider. Good idea about the off shore account and the car tax. Once again thansk

JohnT

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
Hi again

i have just been to the show at the NEC and some one has told me that upto 30% of sites will not take twin axale vans. Do you know if this is true?

Cheers JOhnT

G

There are some sites that do not allow TA vans as they are associated with the 'travelling' community, however, many have no problems just as long as you do not roll up with a Hobby towed by a Transit van. Also some sites have lenght restrictions mainly because some of the pitches are smaller or difficult to access. Check the various books offered by the CC etc and if in doubt, telephone the site. Usually the further out in the 'sticks' the site is,. the less rstrictions.

Nov 17, 2005
Visit site
Hi John T,

Copy and paste this onto your browser.

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/details.asp?revid=6344
T/A vans are no problem and as most tarmacers won't travel so far south, even hobbys are welcome, the price is the same summer and winter, but I suspect you won't get a pitch in winter unless you book well ahead.

And as for taking a year out, very well done!! why should a "Gap Year" be the sole domain of the young.

So best foot foward, load the van as if your going away for a couple of weeks and go for it, you can get whatever you want enroute.

All the Best.

Jeff.

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
Hi John T,

Copy and paste this onto your browser.

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/details.asp?revid=6344
T/A vans are no problem and as most tarmacers won't travel so far south, even hobbys are welcome, the price is the same summer and winter, but I suspect you won't get a pitch in winter unless you book well ahead.

And as for taking a year out, very well done!! why should a "Gap Year" be the sole domain of the young.

So best foot foward, load the van as if your going away for a couple of weeks and go for it, you can get whatever you want enroute.

All the Best.

Jeff.
Many thanks. We have decided to keep our Bailey single axale and going to spend the money saved on a better awarning. Do most sites get booked up in the winter?

JohnT

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Many thanks. We have decided to keep our Bailey single axale and going to spend the money saved on a better awarning. Do most sites get booked up in the winter?

JohnT
I think you're wise to stick to single axle! Despite what's been said we've actually seen British people turned away with a twin axle - it is usually because of 'travellers' but some sites in France will actually turn you away even if you've already booked a pitch when they find you've got a twin axle.

I think the most popular sites in Southern Spain do get booked up quickly in the winter - so you may need to plan ahead a bit. There are not that many sites open in France during the winter so you need to plan your journey carefully - and make sure sites you want are actually open. This is a website giving details of campsites which are within 15km of the major routes through Europe, and giving opening dates, which you might find useful: http://users.pandora.be/leo.huybrechts/camp1.htm

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

JohnT
I would suggest you concider fitting a mover, it helps greatly on the sometimes very restricted pitches that you encounter on the continent.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts