Good Day Had

Oct 21, 2020
Visit site
We had our Shogun valeted a few weeks back, Gaz the Valeter commented how clean our van was as he had recently been to valet a caravan that was green from storage under a tree.
I asked him about what process he had used and decided to try the same technique albeit on a clean van..I do like a clean van 👍.
So, I gave the van a pre wash spray of concentrated fenwicks followed by a liberal dosing of Autoglym Polar Blast Snow Foam (borrowed son in laws Karcher). Left to soak for 10 mins, (coffee) used my extendable brush and went all over the bodywork, hosed off with normal hose.
Using the snow foam attachment, applied a dose of Autoglym Polar Seal. Allow the van to drip dry a bit (coffee) and a quick wipe over with a large microfibre drying cloth.

Have to say, van looks like a new one, well worth the small effort .

Whilst at it, decided to take the spare off the Alko carrier and check tyre, apply some lube to fixings etc.
I’m quite fit and healthy but have to say, I wouldn’t want to remove the tyre in an emergency, what an awful design that carrier is, best part is, if parked in a lay-by with a high kerb, you would never be able to pull the carrier out enough to get the spare off.

Kev

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We had our Shogun valeted a few weeks back, Gaz the Valeter commented how clean our van was as he had recently been to valet a caravan that was green from storage under a tree.
I asked him about what process he had used and decided to try the same technique albeit on a clean van..I do like a clean van 👍.
So, I gave the van a pre wash spray of concentrated fenwicks followed by a liberal dosing of Autoglym Polar Blast Snow Foam (borrowed son in laws Karcher). Left to soak for 10 mins, (coffee) used my extendable brush and went all over the bodywork, hosed off with normal hose.
Using the snow foam attachment, applied a dose of Autoglym Polar Seal. Allow the van to drip dry a bit (coffee) and a quick wipe over with a large microfibre drying cloth.

Whilst at it, decided to take the spare off the Alko carrier and check tyre, apply some lube to fixings etc.
I’m quite fit and healthy but have to say, I wouldn’t want to remove the tyre in an emergency, what an awful design that carrier is, best part is, if parked in a lay-by with a high kerb, you would never be able to pull the carrier out enough to get the spare off.

Kev
You’d pull the van up your ramp to gain better access for a Jack.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site

Kev
Hi Kev how old is your caravan ?

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Took out Mayday in the hope that if I have a puncture they can get the thing out. Poor design but only Bailey have bothered to make a better model. If you have a fixed bed it may be that in the bed is better.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Took out Mayday in the hope that if I have a puncture they can get the thing out. Poor design but only Bailey have bothered to make a better model. If you have a fixed bed it may be that in the bed is better.
In our S5 Bordeaux it travelled just inside the door for easy access. Never had a problem with it moving. Then on site it went under the caravan chained and locked. Could not readily be spotted especially if the awning was up.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
My spare wheel, being, 195/70 x 15 is big and heavy, Many years ago I romoved the ALKO carrier and the wheel is under our fixed side bed almost in the middle of the caravn. Easy to pressure check and easy to get out.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I’ve not thought to check my spare as only had the van since august, so the tyre is under the van I assume because under a bed on near side there is a bolt to wind down the carrier, would this be the type of carrier referred to on here that gets slated for how difficult it is, I intend to look at it one day this week, obviously I should have done this already, but it’s now on my list for getting it sorted before next trip so got 3 weeks.

BP

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I’ve not thought to check my spare as only had the van since august, so the tyre is under the van I assume because under a bed on near side there is a bolt to wind down the carrier, would this be the type of carrier referred to on here that gets slated for how difficult it is, I intend to look at it one day this week, obviously I should have done this already, but it’s now on my list for getting it sorted before next trip so got 3 weeks.

BP
The one disliked by so many is the Alko wheel carrier that is under slung across the width of the caravan and sits behind the axle. It consists of two long cross members made of tubular steel and the wheel is held within the cradle below the caravan.

0104F771-044C-4138-8C14-3EA7635C35DA.jpeg

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Another long term still,used poor design. What is it with these caravan designers? Too many long lunches🤣🤣🤣🤣

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Yes, thats the horrible one, ever since I first tried to remove the spare wheel from it, I decided that the frame will live behind garden shed and the wheel under the bed, I consider my self still fit, at 69, and can get up from my knees in 10 minutes , with only a few Oohs, Aarghs and a Humph. Sod getting that wheel out from that carrier.

Reactions: Dustydog
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
When we had a puncture with our Lunar, it took the skilled engineer enarly half and hours to get the spare wheel carrier out. When we got it home, removed it and stored the tyre under the bed. On our current caravan it is easy to access as it is a drop own carrier a much better design.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Due to poor mobility I don't have any idea about our spare wheel carrier so will need to ask help from someone who can check for us.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I’ve no idea about mine other than the bolt to lower it is in a bed box on near side so that bit is a good start, it just depends what is needed when I’ve wound it down , I’d guess the wheel will end up no more than 6-8 inches from the edge of the van so I’m hoping it will go back there if it’s easy enough to get at.

BP

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
BP, on a friends Bailey unicorn , you had to wind down the spare wheel, tried it, OK but still a bit fiddly, but if you had a flat on the near side, it would be a case of pull the van up a ramp, loosen the caravan wheel nuts, then jack the van up, remove the spare wheel, and then quickly replace the caravan wheel with the spare, then lower the van and fully tighten the caravan wheel.
Now that will check your blood pressure.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Cheers Hutch, well the first bit of that isn’t going to be a problem because before I go anywhere I’ll be taking the wheel out from underneath for the last time, I’ll store it in the van when in storage and put it in the car for travelling, then if I get a puncture I’ll phone green flag, job done.

BP

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
So, I gave the van a pre wash spray of concentrated Fenwick's followed by a liberal dosing of Autoglym Polar Blast Snow Foam (borrowed son in laws Karcher). Left to soak for 10 mins, (coffee) used my extendable brush and went all over the bodywork, hosed off with normal hose.
Kev

Not used the Autoglym Polar series, but have used snowfoam from Bilt Hamber for some time, with great results. Its also non-caustic and has corrosion inhibitors. Use it on the roof of the caravan when its been sat for some time.

Tried a "Touchless" wash on the car at the weekend; pressure washed the car and then snow foamed - then pressure washed off followed by a trip down a dual carriageway to blow-dry the car! (Hard water area). Did ok. couldn't get all the dust marks off the roof, but wasn't going to spend ages on the car as I knew it was going to rain all day!

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Kevin
Did you use the Karcher on the caravan at pressure or does it have some other setting? I have a K4 Ecologic. Good piece of kit but not something I use on the caravan for fear of water ingress😥😥😥

Oct 21, 2020
Visit site
Kevin
Did you use the Karcher on the caravan at pressure or does it have some other setting? I have a K4 Ecologic. Good piece of kit but not something I use on the caravan for fear of water ingress😥😥😥

Wouldn’t put the pressure washer anywhere near the van other than for the low pressure required for the snow foam, I’m very careful with the hosepipe too.

Kev

Reactions: Dustydog

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts