Got run into couple of weeks ago

Sep 6, 2009
Visit site
Thought I'd have a rant (sorry)

Couple of weeks ago, while on my way home from work, I got "rolled into".
I was stood at traffic lights with my foot on the brake - when a van ran into the back of me (the driver said he'd rolled into me). His roll into me pushed me forwards a foot.

Anyway, we swapped details, took pics and left the scene. On my way i decided to phone the "office" number he'd given me. It was genuine and was told that the driver was a director of the company - so it would be sorted out.

I called my insurance company, who acted straight away and booked a hire car and a repair center. Now I told the insurance co - that while there is no visible damage to my 4x4, as the impact caused the towball to go through the front of the van and rip most of it off, I wanted the towball checking for alignment and any damage caused to the chassis.

a week passed and heard nothing more, so I decided to give my ins co. They told me that they had contacted the logistics company but had nothing back. They put me on hold and phoned them.

The logistics co director said that as there was no damage to my 4x4 they didnt bother telling their insurance co.
My insurance co gave them 14 days to notify and pass details on (this is up sometime this week) or else....

What put the wind up them was that I'd told my insurance co that the morning following the incident I'd got a bad back and gave me grief all that day having had to climb light rigging and then stand for 3 hours behind a mixerdesk (one of my colleagues gave me a heat patch for my back but all it did was stay cold and smell bad - I'm convinced she gave me a leg wax pad by accident)

I now have a solicitor, an accident repair center and a "like for like" hire car on stand by. All im bothered about is having the towball checked out for damage...
Annoyingly, I left my rear facing camera on my desk - so no visual record of the incident (yes I carry both forward and rearward cameras recording my journeys for such things)

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I'd chase, and get the rest of the car thoroughly checked over

Many years ago a van drove into the back of my Mk2 Cavalier which had a towbar fitted - destroyed the front of the van and left only some panel damage on the Cav (or so i thought). When it was checked over, the force of the impact had been transferred down the towbar and caused damage in the engine bay!

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi,
The RTA requires the OD to give details of his insurance to anybody who has reason to request it.
My wife got scraped end to end by the tail lift of a supermarket curtain-sider. "No problem!" said their Transport Manager. The supermarket insured themselves, didn't answer any letters. It took two years to get them to court, and my wife got her NCB and "first £150" back. Luckily, it was our insurers who did the chasing, albeit at our request.
I believe that the OP is only responsible for paying for an alignment check, IF it reveals that it is out of line.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Five years ago I had an over loaded cement lorry deposit cement all over my Laguna Estate as it negotiated a bend on the A49 at Wellington, on it's way back to the Gravel pit to unload. It had 9 Cu yards in a 7 Cu yard mixer, it was litterally full to the brim. How a driver couldn't notice he was 2.5 ton over loaded is beyond me. The split cement smashed the windscreen and headlights and peppered the car with so many stone chips it looked like it had been shot at with a shot gun. I had to do a 180 in the road and chase the mixer as he'd failed to stop, eventually catching him at the gravel pit gate.
We exchanged pleasentries etc and I thought we'd be ok.
My car had to have a surface primer and respray of 75% of the paintwork plus a windscreen,two headlights and a radiator. Some £1500 which was very close to write off value.
I informed my insurers of the incident with all the details plus phone photo's of the truck, driver etc and expected a very quick turn round. However, the company who supply all sorts of sand, gravel and cement fron Rotherwas Hereford, just ignored the letters from my insurance and pretended nothing happened. I tracked down their insurance broker at ledbury and obtained a claim form pack which I took to the MD who thought he was selling me 100 tons of cotswold stone. When I explained that I actually had an insurance claim for accident damage incurred by one of his employee's and involving his cement mixer. He was quite shocked. But once we had gone over the evidence of photo's and insurance estimates, he very promptly filled out the claim form which i delivered back to the broker to avoid any more cover ups from his staff. Needless to say both the driver and the transport manager got a right rollocking and justly deserved it too!
One week later my car was fully repaired and although I was not happy about the accident the repair shop had done an excellent job.
I had to go above and beyond what was my duty to get a result and I did change my insurer after that as they were just too complacent for my liking.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The Sorie was rear ended four years ago. NU dealt with the claim swiftly. The repairer said he could see nothing wrong with the towbar and ball. Told him that was fine by me but I wanted it in writing from him and NU that if there any problems in the future NU would pay including damage to the caravan if the towbar failed.
Within 24 hours NU without hesitation told me a new towbar and ball were being fitted. Their engineer agreed that short of expensive testing it was dangerous to assume the towbar etc hadn't suffered some damage that may at a future date compromise safety.

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I was driving another tow car in early this year and got rear ended. The back of the car I was driving looked pretty good compared to the front of the car that hit me. Could hardly notice the damage. I insisted on having a replacement hire tow car as I needed to tow a caravan and refused to tow prior to the car being repaired although the insurers were at first relucatant to provide the hire car. When the dealer repaired the car they found a cracked weld on one of the tow bar bracket mounting points.
7 months after the accident, my insurers contacted me, The 'married' lady driver of the other car was not in fact married to her partner and owner of the car, the address on their insurance was not correct and now were the cars details. Our insurers wanted to know if I could give any further details on the accident and the lady driver. I was able to provide full photo's of her car and her and her place of work and some other info that lead to her true address. Had a nice call from an insurance investigator 3 weeks ago to say that my info had been usedul for court and police action.

May 1, 2010
Visit site
5 years ago I was driving slowly past a line of cars parked outside houses in a country lane near us, when taking dogs for their daily walk. As I went past a car pulled out without signalling and smashed into the side of my Terrano. Fortunately I had a camera on my mobile phone and took pictures or the resting position of the 2 cars. When we went to exchange details I was told the car was an unmarked Police vehicle and that the accident would have to be investigated by the Police as it was a Police vehicle. About 45 minutes later three marked Police cars arrived complete with Sargent. I had to give a written statement and be breathalysed, 10am in morning. I was told at the time that the driver of the Police vehicle admitted responsibility for the accident, and that any damage to my car would be paid for by the Police. When my insurance company tried to claim from the other car insurers it transpired that the black estate car was hired to the Police. It took over 18 months for my insurance company to recover costs from other side and therefore save my excess and no claims bonus. This was only recovered when I provided photos taken on my phone at the time. Within 6 months of the crash my battery failed and my exhaust split at a weld. My garage told both items were probably caused by the impact.

Sep 6, 2009
Visit site
Just thought I'd update everyone on this...... (are you ready)

They are contesting the claim!!!!!!!

I've blown off at the ambulance chasing legal team that were wanting me to pursue a claim for my stiff back I had for a week or so - told them where to go - I'm not interested in that sort of thing.

I just want the towball/chassis checked out.

I'm now wondering if I should be making a claim against my insurance co for not acting quicker. I'm being very patient with this - which is amazing the dragon, as I normally would have exploded a long long time ago...

Jan 12, 2007
Visit site
hi colin
i had a car run into the back of my mondeo,basically ive only had one problem with the claim and that was the repairer was late starting the repair to my car because of a admin foul up.now my daughter works for a solicitor who deals with accident claims and i told what had happened with the delay in starting the repair,after my daughter had spoken to a partner in the firm she works for,i was advised to ring to insurer and tell them that they had commited a breach of contract with me for not getting the repair done quickly enough............this i did and within 20mins of my call to the insurer i got a call from the repair company telling me that my car was being started on that very same day.
maybe a similar call to your insurer colin might gee them up a bit?.

hgv dave

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
My wife was travelling on the A1 to work and she was overtaking a lorry and a car pulled out and the next thing my wife new her car was facing the wrong way and on it roof the police said she was lucky to get out alive and the worst thing the driver of the car left her for dead but luckly someone got the numberplate and he was stopped futher up but my wife car was a write off . But what got me mad to this day it only had a full service and M.O.T and then we had to buy her a new car ,

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts