Green Toilet Fluids

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Any one have a preference as to any particular make that does the job properly?

Obviously you have the well known brands, Elsan , Thetford, Aquachem etc

But has anyone found one that works and has a nice aroma to it?

Oct 21, 2020
Visit site
I’ve been looking at the one fluid for both purposes type, not bought any yet tho.
Elson do an organic green one that I will likely try next

Kev

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
We use Elsan organic or Elsan green. What the difference is, I don’t know but both work well and have an acceptable smell. Fenwicks is OK but prefer smell of Elsan.
mel

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I’ve been looking at the one fluid for both purposes type, not bought any yet tho.
Elson do an organic green one that I will likely try next

Kev
Hi Kev We have given it a try Elsan organic green on our first outing my wife like this let me know how you get on

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We use Elsan organic or Elsan green. What the difference is, I don’t know but both work well and have an acceptable smell. Fenwicks is OK but prefer smell of Elsan.
mel
I am in agreement not sure what the difference is between those two of the Elsan make

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We gave up on the organic and green and reverted back to Elsans. At the moment we are trying the Dometic tablets, but we will probably go back to Elsan's blue. At least it works properly and does suppress the smell!

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We gave up on the organic and green and reverted back to Elsans. At the moment we are trying the Dometic tablets, but we will probably go back to Elsan's blue. At least it works properly and does suppress the smell!
The site i went to in April you are only allowed Organic Green

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We do carry the Dometic organic green just in case, but avoid using it where possible as it is more than useless at breaking down solids and suppressing smells.
Well on that site it only organic so you would have to use the Dometic and that depends if that on there list on what you can use

Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
I've been using the One Chem product for a couple of years, it isn't labelled "organic" or coloured green, but it IS formaldehyde-free, which I think is what these sites actually want (to make it safe for septic tanks). It's sold as OK for both tanks and I use it that way, no black bits or problems that I've noticed.

I've always been happy with it.

As an aside, whenever I do the last empty before leaving a site, I always put a clean charge in the bottom tank in case of loo emergencies on the way home, and that stays to be the first charge at the start of the next trip (and covers me for any use at the storage site!), so if I did get to a site who insisted I use a particular product, I'd have a bit of a problem!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I've been using the One Chem product for a couple of years, it isn't labelled "organic" or coloured green, but it IS formaldehyde-free, which I think is what these sites actually want (to make it safe for septic tanks). It's sold as OK for both tanks and I use it that way, no black bits or problems that I've noticed.

As an aside, whenever I do the last empty before leaving a site, I always put a clean charge in the bottom tank in case of loo emergencies on the way home, and that stays to be the first charge at the start of the next trip (and covers me for any use at the storage site!), so if I did get to a site who insisted I use a particular product, I'd have a bit of a problem!
I too have been using Onechem and find it excellent, and like you I put a clean charge into the cassette and 2 litres in the flush the top up the flush on arrival and dies with Onechem.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site

The site i went in April
Customers are only permitted to use Green organic environmentally friendly toilet fluids so the big question what colour is this One Chem product ?

Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
The site i went in April
Customers are only permitted to use Green organic environmentally friendly toilet fluids so the big question what colour is this One Chem product ?
It's blue - but it depends whether by "green" they mean coloured green, or the usage that's started over the last few years of "green = better for the environment.

if I spotted before arriving at site that they wanted only green chemicals, I'd ask them to specify what they meant. Then if they appeared to care more about the colour of fluid, rather than what was in it, I could make a decision about whether I wanted to stay there enough to buy a different fluid.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buckman
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
It's blue - but it depends whether by "green" they mean coloured green, or the usage that's started over the last few years of "green = better for the environment.

if I spotted before arriving at site that they wanted only green chemicals, I'd ask them to specify what they meant. Then if they appeared to care more about the colour of fluid, rather than what was in it, I could make a decision about whether I wanted to stay there enough to buy a different fluid.
The site would make the decision for you if you are not using Green Organic they even check my caravan before i was allowed on to my service pitch

Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
The site would make the decision for you if you are not using Green Organic they even check my caravan before i was allowed on to my service pitch

No, if all they care about is the colour of the fluid, rather than whether it's harmful to the environment, then I would make the decision between buying a different chemical just for its colour, or cancelling my booking and going somewhere else. It would depend how much I wanted to stay on that site - but it wouldn't get as far as the site making the decision for me, because if I'd decided not to comply with their requirements then I wouldn't be going to that site.

In my working life, if someone specifies a requirement which is quite clearly based on a lack of understanding of what they're asking for (e.g. believing that the colour of loo chemical is more important than what's actually in it) then I'll quite happily debate the matter with them, but caravanning is my hobby and my leisure time is too short to argue over something that can be resolved by voting with my feet.

Having said that, I would be tempted to do an experiment with my current, environment-friendly but wrongly-coloured, chemical; If the blue colour only comes from a dye rather than an actual chemical constituent, then straining a sample through cat litter (or any other Fullers Earth product) should strain out the dye, then I could just chuck in some green food colouring.

Note that I'm NOT saying I'd use this technique to enable me to use environmentally-damaging product against the site's rules, because I wouldn't: But if the only difference between what I've got, and what the site want, is the colour of the dye, then I'd consider changing the colour of the dye was fair enough.

Just out of interest, are they equally specific about what washing up liquids or soaps you can use?

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
...they even check my caravan before i was allowed on to my service pitch

If they want to check the colour of what's already in my bottom tank they're welcome. But as a general principle, if a site operator thinks they're going to search my caravan and car before allowing me on site, I'm definitely going elsewhere.

What are they going to do if they find I've got a bottle of their preferred product, and a bottle of blue? Confiscate the "naughty" product because they don't trust me not to use the wrong thing?

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
I/we follow the rules, if it says 'organic' only then we use it. Used all makes that we have found available over the years, and always carry one, but one word sums 'em all up --- 'rubbish'! -- Only use them when compulsory. Ps. we do use our own loo most of the time on any sites. -- 'Greens' aren't a patch on 'blues'!

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The site i went in April
Blue and with no formaldehyde it’s suitable for sites which require bio fluids. But I’ve seen nothing on Elsans site giving the specification of their Green Organic fluid. What exactly is described by the word “ organic” Normal usage tends to mean that the constituents are from organic sources.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
What did they check inside the Cassette? Must say I can’t tell a colour difference when peering into a loo. Did I mean “peering” or the other alternative. Either way you can’t discern the colour in the cassete even when fresh b

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
If they want to check the colour of what's already in my bottom tank they're welcome. But as a general principle, if a site operator thinks they're going to search my caravan and car before allowing me on site, I'm definitely going elsewhere.

What are they going to do if they find I've got a bottle of their preferred product, and a bottle of blue? Confiscate the "naughty" product because they don't trust me not to use the wrong thing?
Actually it the rules on this site it means Green Organic no other colour will do

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
What did they check inside the Cassette? Must say I can’t tell a colour difference when peering into a loo. Did I mean “peering” or the other alternative. Either way you can’t discern the colour in the cassete even when fresh b
They check my rinse to see what the colour was seeing my cassette was empty going on site there would be nothing in it .

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
They check my rinse to see what the colour was seeing my cassette was empty going on site there would be nothing in it .
But Elsan organic goes in the cassette to deal with waste. What would they have done with an empty flush tank, or one with Elsan Pink in it?

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
These are the rules on this site
Customers are only permitted Green Organic Environmentally Friendly Toilet Fluids
We no longer permit the use ,or on-site disposal ,of Pink & toxic formaldehyde -based blue chemicals
This is the last time i am commending on this subject

Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
Blue and with no formaldehyde it’s suitable for sites which require bio fluids. But I’ve seen nothing on Elsans site giving the specification of their Green Organic fluid.

What exactly is described by the word “ organic” Normal usage tends to mean that the constituents are from organic sources.

Yes, but to a chemist "organic" means a chemical with carbon in the molecule, e.g.

Wikipedia said:
Formaldehyde is a naturally occurring organic compound with the formula CH₂O

Outside of the food industry, as far as I know there is no legally-supported definition of the word "organic", other than the chemist's one above.

So, get some formaldehyde-based loo chemical, dye it green, and you seem to have exactly what this site are asking for - despite formaldehyde being almost certainly what they're looking to avoid.

I'm not having a crack at Beachball, I know he's only passing on someone else's requirements, but as I said a couple of posts above this is exactly the sort of thing I come across often in my working life, with someone making specifications or requirements based on what some bloke told them down the pub, or on a common, rather than a technical, understanding of a word.

Specifying that a green-coloured chemical is better than a different substance, chemically identical but with a different dye and with different words on the label, is exactly the kind of thing that I couldn't be bothered with in my leisure time, and would make me choose to go elsewhere.

Reactions: RogerL and Buckman

TRENDING THREADS