hammock bunk - making safe for 3 year old

Aug 1, 2005
Visit site
I have been racking my brains trying to think of how to fit all of us into our van now that my grandkids have come to live with us.

What it boils down to is our 3 year old grandson will have to sleep in the hammock bed which fits above the single bed. For anyone not in the know, this looks like a roll up stretcher which fixes into brackets to form a fourth bed above the third single bed.

As our grandson moves around a lot in bed, has anyone had experience of this and fixed up a bed guard or some sort of straps as a safety device? A bed guard obviously wont work as there is no mattress to put it under. I thought I read a post a while ago where someone had rigged something up ......... but I must have been searching under the wrong subject as I couldnt find anything.

Any advice would be useful.

Dec 10, 2005
Visit site
Try him in it first as most hammock type beds will sag slightly when someone is lying on it, which should mean that little`un should not be able to just roll out as the wooden pole will stop them.

If not then you could move the mounting cups for the hammock closer together so the bed does sag slightly more.

Failing that, try & find a lorry or motorhome bunk net (try ebay or motorhome parts supplier).

Hope theses help.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
You could try one of those frames you can get from "mother care" that fit under a conventional bed matress. You would need to add a foam bed base of say 50mm to the hammock but this should keep junior in place, without the legs of the frame being too un comfortable.

The problem with moving bunk location brackets is that with most caravans there is little support other than in the manufacturers designated position, due to the way they build the van.

Aug 1, 2005
Visit site
I am thinking of rigging up a cargo net, attaching the bottom of it to the outermost bed rail and the top to two hooks on the caravan walls.

We have a Tomy bed bar already, but with a mattress on top if he put his weight on the bed bar both the bed bar and the mattress could fall off, as the bed bar goes under the mattress and the ends of the rails curve up to grip the far side of the mattress. We dont use the bed bar at home because its too awkward and cumbersome.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts