Happy & sad!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Today our son took us out for a lunch to celebrate my being on this mortal coil for three quarters of a century. This was the first time in over 30 years that we have been together on this special day! Sadly he leaves for South Africa tomorrow to look after the elephants, lions and other wildlife. Hopefully we will soon him again sometime in the future whether here or in South Africa.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Today our son took us out for a lunch to celebrate my being on this mortal coil for three quarters of a century. This was the first time in over 30 years that we have been together on this special day! Sadly he leaves for South Africa tomorrow to look after the elephants, lions and other wildlife. Hopefully we will soon him again sometime in the future whether here or in South Africa.
Happy birthday and treasure the memory until the next time.

Reactions: Buckman
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
An exiting time for your son and a proud one for you as his parents, thinking of future adventures if you decide to expand holidays with him, Your next birthday could be to experience his chosen line of work?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
An exiting time for your son and a proud one for you as his parents, thinking of future adventures if you decide to expand holidays with him, Your next birthday could be to experience his chosen line of work?
I honestly wish we could spend a couple of days at the game reserve where he works, but at about £450 a day out of our reach. Also a 7 hour drive from the nearest international airport. However I guess we may get a discount as he is one of the more senior people in the organisation. LOL!

Aug 18, 2024
Visit site
I honestly wish we could spend a couple of days at the game reserve where he works, but at about £450 a day out of our reach. Also a 7 hour drive from the nearest international airport. However I guess we may get a discount as he is one of the more senior people in the organisation. LOL!
So lovely you had a wonderful day with your son, and proud of what he is doing.

We have been to SAR twice on extended holidays, and you certainly would not have to drive for 7 hours, direct flight to Johannesburg or Cape Town, then an internal flight to wherever you son is situated, would cut down on driving. But even then, you could break up the drive and stay, very cheaply, at a very good standard of B&B somewhere.

You certainly would not have to pay £450 a day to stay either. You have not said where he is, but staying just outside of the park will be a quarter of that price, and a very good standard of accommodation. I am sure they would allow day visits if he works there. Is it one of the SANParks?

The accommodation we have experienced in SAR on both our visits have been rather excellent, and at nearly 24R to the pound, you are literally quids in. The SAR is really cheap for UK visitors.

Get over there, you will love it, great for getting up close! 👍
1368.jpegDSC_5725.jpeg
DSC_5485.jpeg

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
He works at Mala Mala next to KNP and there is an airport not far away from the game reserve, but due to past experience I am not comfortable lading at rural airports.

We lived in southern Africa for over 40 years so done everything that we wanted to do, but just never visited KNP area. Spent many years working in the bush so game reserve are nothing new to me. (y) :D

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Congratulations on the 75th Ian. Did you take your son to Longleat to reminisce 😜😜.
Very tough saying goodbye but at least you have had a few good weeks and avoided caravanning. Here’s to the next time in the not too distant future

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Congratulations on the 75th Ian. Did you take your son to Longleat to reminisce 😜😜.
Very tough saying goodbye but at least you have had a few good weeks and avoided caravanning. Here’s to the next time in the not too distant future
It was a bit weepy today as no idea when we will see him again in real life instead of on Youtube.

Aug 18, 2024
Visit site
He works at Mala Mala next to KNP and there is an airport not far away from the game reserve, but due to past experience I am not comfortable lading at rural airports.

We lived in southern Africa for over 40 years so done everything that we wanted to do, but just never visited KNP area. Spent many years working in the bush so game reserve are nothing new to me. (y) :D
Sounds awesome! We spent a couple of weeks in, or around, KNP as part of our last trip, we also took in Lesotho, Mozambique and Swaziland (Eswatini). You have had a fascinating past, something I would have loved to have done, I spent my career working in the “bush” of the Dartmoor National Park! Which was actually awesome as well. 😂👍

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Never been to Lesotho and regret not going. My son had a huge recycling business in Eswatini for a couple of years before deciding \to return to game ranging as less stressful. Beautiful beaches in Mozambique and when living in the former Rhodesia we used to pop over most weekends.

Most spectacular sight has to be Victoria Falls especially if you do the Flight of Angels. Hwangwe game reserves south of Vic Falls is another must see. Done fishing for tiger on Kariba and ate plenty of kapenta.

Other regrets are not visiting Nambia or Botswana especially the Okavango swamps.

Aug 18, 2024
Visit site
Never been to Lesotho and regret not going. My son had a huge recycling business in Eswatini for a couple of years before deciding \to return to game ranging as less stressful. Beautiful beaches in Mozambique and when living in the former Rhodesia we used to pop over most weekends.

Most spectacular sight has to be Victoria Falls especially if you do the Flight of Angels. Hwangwe game reserves south of Vic Falls is another must see. Done fishing for tiger on Kariba and ate plenty of kapenta.

Other regrets are not visiting Nambia or Botswana especially the Okavango swamps.
Namibia and Botswana definitely on the list for us! Off on a different “park” holiday in a couple of weeks time, a three week road trip to the USA, Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Utah, Nevada and Arizona. 👍

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Namibia and Botswana definitely on the list for us! Off on a different “park” holiday in a couple of weeks time, a three week road trip to the USA, Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Utah, Nevada and Arizona. 👍
Botswana has one of the least corrupt police forces in Africa and also the world! In Swartkopmund apparently some of the locals used sharks for surfing. Estosha pan is a definite visit.

Reactions: Devonisheaven

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts