Have we gone totally bonkers???

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Reading today’s DT I’m faced with criticism of Charities spending donations on “ Unconscious Bias Courses” . I had to Google that. Our wonderful Queen has had to have the final say over Megxit.
Worse a wonderful hostelry in Newtown Wales, The Black Boy, has been asked to change its name . It was originally named after the chimney sweep lads etc in the area in the 1700s. What will happen to Black Gang Chine where I spent many a good holiday with my parents in the 50s and 60s. The Bailey Unicorn has just brought out “The Black Edition”! Are we truly going bonkers in the names of our caravans😥😥😥😥

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I despair when I read or view many of the 'woke' articles, the chest feeding article from Brighton last week seemed particularly ridiculous, of more concern to me is the trend that regards any questioning of these types of suggestions as phobic, in other words 'if you don't agree with it you are part of the problem' I am encouraged that a couple of football clubs are saying they will no longer take the knee before games as they feel it has lost it's effect. The toppling of the Colston statue seemed particularly ironic to me as without the likes of Colston many of the people clamouring for it's removal would not be here, and as for the complaints about Churchill, without him we would all be speaking German. Also could anybody tell me what 'influencers' contribute to anything?

Reactions: Jcloughie
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I despair when I read or view many of the 'woke' articles, the chest feeding article from Brighton last week seemed particularly ridiculous, of more concern to me is the trend that regards any questioning of these types of suggestions as phobic, in other words 'if you don't agree with it you are part of the problem' I am encouraged that a couple of football clubs are saying they will no longer take the knee before games as they feel it has lost it's effect. The toppling of the Colston statue seemed particularly ironic to me as without the likes of Colston many of the people clamouring for it's removal would not be here, and as for the complaints about Churchill, without him we would all be speaking German. Also could anybody tell me what 'influencers' contribute to anything?

The issue at Brighton hospitals and maternity was ridiculous. Since 2017 only two transgender persons have given birth in UK. So that’s a very small percentage of a small percentage who aren’t exactly all clamouring for change. Anyway Brighton need anatomy lessons. Chests are not able to supply milk to feeding infants. It reminds me of Torquay council some years ago who unilaterally decided to remove crosses from in the crematorium in case it offended Sikhs or Hindus. There was an outcry and the council backtracked when the leaders of those two religious communities said they had not requested any such changes and none were needed. In the end I think small curtains were installed to be used as or if required. It just like Christmas becoming Winter Festival. In Leicester I’ve been to Diwali and the civic lights are just retained through to Christmas with some changes to the signs from Happy Diwali to Happy Christmas. And all in the community enjoy whichever festival is being celebrated.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
The old adage 'Never believe everything that you read in the papers' applies here.
It's quite true that now and again local councillors or pressure groups will raise an objection to a pub or place name.
Tim Wetherspoon is a canny lad, he'd never overlook a spot of free advertising for his hostelries, so a local storm in a teacup suddenly becomes a national issue which threatens our very existence according to some newspapers and media outlets.
In a week or two if lockdown is eased everyone will have forgotten about the contentious pub name and will be reading largely fictional news articles about Harry and Meghan.
The breast feeding 'controversy'will change nothing in the real world.
We still celebrate Lent, Easter and Christmas and even though the West Midlands where I live has a higher than average percentage of ethnic minority residents, I've yet to meet one in the real world who has the slightest objection to our religious festivals.
These issues are more often than not stirred up by British do-gooders who have become a bit too zealous in their ideas of how they think we should all behave.
Ignore it, take a chill pill because by and large our daily lives will remain unaffected. 😉

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
What will happen to Black Gang Chine where I spent many a good holiday with my parents in the 50s and 60s.

I can tell you what has happened to Blackgang Chine....it has been washed away by the sea and most of the attractions that were there went with the landslides.

The present "offering" under the same name was moved across the road to a more safer location, but that is still only temporary as more of the cliffs get washed away each year.

Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I think I have a bottle of Black Gange chine, or was that a layered bottle of sand from another part or The Isle of Wight.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
If you think all that is ridiculous..... near to us is Ashbourne and a famous old pub called The Green Man and Blacks Head. Outside is an ornate crossbeam featuring the Blacks Head. Following a long running row over the name, a couple of worthies scaled the arch and rescued the head before the PC brigade could have it removed. The council have backed the lentil munchers, the pub is renamed and the head gone forever.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I'm a vegetarian so I guess I'm naturally enrolled in the 'Lentil Lovers Club' since they feature in many of my culinary endeavours. However, this does not automatically enrol me in the Cancel Culture Club and as far as I can recall I've never attempted to re-write history.

Is it still alright to say 'Chick Pea' or are there gender based overtones associated with this legume?

Now if I can find my open toe sandals, bib and brace and straw hat I have to go and hug a tree.

:):) :)
(PS: Definition of a Russian Historian - someone who can accurately predict the past)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts