Have you put your pride and joy away for winter.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi now we are at that time of the year where most of us put our caravans away during the winter months, does anyone have any good tips to keep the caravan in good shape over the winter.

Thanks

G

Get it off the suspension.

I run clear mastic along any hollows in rail joints etc when we get a van.

Apart from regular drain down make sure the pipes under the van do not sag as they will hold water and can split if they freeze.

We have the van aired and heated on a ragular basis.

And a good polish with Autoglym helps keep it cleaner and makes it easier to wash down when you come to use it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Andy - we keep ours at a farm and first year it was on grass. We checked it regularly and were amazed to find loads of flies in the cupboards.

We opened the doors and ineffectively showed some of them out and my wife said "Don't bother - they are going back in via the fridge vents."

So a large tin of flyspray later and lots of dead flies. Left it overnight and went back the next day to hoover them up. Only trouble was that all that was there were the legs and the wings - and a few mouse droppings!

Two mouse traps bought and three mice killed in a day!

Thanks to someone on this Forum we tried Mothballs and they work a treat! No Flies, no Mice!

We have the 'van on hardstanding now as the farmer is improving the facilities he offers and so far no more problems - but we still put a few mothballs in old mugs and leave them in various places just to be sure.

Luckily the only damage caused was to the polystyrene cover on the water heater and an old newspaper. They made a nest right next the heater.

First trip out of the new season and the smell is soon gone.

So as well as draining all the fluids and storing the battery somewhere safe and keeping it charged I would recommend regular checking for invaders and mothballs to make certain.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Andy - we keep ours at a farm and first year it was on grass. We checked it regularly and were amazed to find loads of flies in the cupboards.

We opened the doors and ineffectively showed some of them out and my wife said "Don't bother - they are going back in via the fridge vents."

So a large tin of flyspray later and lots of dead flies. Left it overnight and went back the next day to hoover them up. Only trouble was that all that was there were the legs and the wings - and a few mouse droppings!

Two mouse traps bought and three mice killed in a day!

Thanks to someone on this Forum we tried Mothballs and they work a treat! No Flies, no Mice!

We have the 'van on hardstanding now as the farmer is improving the facilities he offers and so far no more problems - but we still put a few mothballs in old mugs and leave them in various places just to be sure.

Luckily the only damage caused was to the polystyrene cover on the water heater and an old newspaper. They made a nest right next the heater.

First trip out of the new season and the smell is soon gone.

So as well as draining all the fluids and storing the battery somewhere safe and keeping it charged I would recommend regular checking for invaders and mothballs to make certain.
Hi Clive perhaps you have a nice caravan and the mice have good taste

all the best

Andy

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Best way of keeping the caravan in good shape in the winter is use it. We were away the first week in November, away next w/e and 5 day break at xmas and again in febuary all in all nearly 4 weeks, that should keep it going well

Kevin H

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Any particular reason why you want to put the caravan away for the winter, Andy?

Some reasons not to...

Sites are cheaper and quieter.

Scenery and walking just as good.

Under the duvet type feeling when you get back to the warm cosy van.

You pay enough for the privilege of caravaning, get your moneys worth.

A good time for short stays, you may want to go back during the summer for a longer period.

Did I mention, it's cheaper?

Not trying to press you into something you don't want to do, but give it some thought anyway.

Some of the main items when storing your van over winter is to:-

Drain the water completly.

Remove the battery and give it a charge periodically.

Take out soft furnishings and store them in a dry area.

A final wash and wax if kept in the open.

Check your insurance if you feel the need to remove wheels, you may not be covered. Really though, you shouldn't need to, moving the van every week or two will prevent deformation of the tyres.

Hope this helps.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Any particular reason why you want to put the caravan away for the winter, Andy?

Some reasons not to...

Sites are cheaper and quieter.

Scenery and walking just as good.

Under the duvet type feeling when you get back to the warm cosy van.

You pay enough for the privilege of caravaning, get your moneys worth.

A good time for short stays, you may want to go back during the summer for a longer period.

Did I mention, it's cheaper?

Not trying to press you into something you don't want to do, but give it some thought anyway.

Some of the main items when storing your van over winter is to:-

Drain the water completly.

Remove the battery and give it a charge periodically.

Take out soft furnishings and store them in a dry area.

A final wash and wax if kept in the open.

Check your insurance if you feel the need to remove wheels, you may not be covered. Really though, you shouldn't need to, moving the van every week or two will prevent deformation of the tyres.

Hope this helps.
Cheers Lol food for thought

Andy

Nov 7, 2005
Visit site
Some reasons why I'm GLAD to put the caravan in hibernation for the winter...

It's dark by 5.

...so nights are long,

it rains more,

it gets frosty,

there are freezing cold snaps, snow,

bad weather for travelling,

the dogs get filthy,

...which means that the awning and van does,

scenery and walking is not as good,

you have to wrap up every time you go out (in some cases when you're in!),

Home is much more comfortable,

I cd go on...

OK, so call me a wimp, a fair weather caravanner and all the rest.

That's fine for me, because it's my personal view - everyone to their own! But the greatest reason for putting the van away in winter is that, like absence it makes the heart grow fonder.

Like the football season, I like to see a beginning and an end to seasons - too much for me can get wearing and devalues the pleasure. Winter gives me time to catch up with all the other things and people I've neglected during the long, beautiful summer away, and makes me all the more keen to enjoy the van when the new season comes around!

I know there are scores of hardy, enthusiastic types who get great pleasure out of winter caravanning. And good luck to you all...but it's just not for me, nor I suspect the majority of caravanners, but I'm quite prepared to stand corrected!

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Using the van all year round is a good idea in theory but once the clocks change in autumn the days are short and wet. Perversely, we restart in February when the days are just as short but cold rather than wet. We can cope with cold much better than wet - in and out of the van.

We would like to go away for Christmas and New Year as well, but complicated family commitments prevent this.

As for winter precautions, ensure the hot / cold water system and toilet flush are completely drained. Remove the wheels supporting the caravan on axle stands, not winter wheels. If you've a permanent mains supply, leave the battery on charge using a good charger like the CTEK, not the inbuilt supply unit. If you've no permanent mains supply remove the battery to a spare room and keep it charged there. Don't bother with dehumidifiers, they just take moisture out of the atmosphere because fresh damp air will soon enter through the vents. Before you use the van in Spring, just leave the heating on for 24 hours with the windows on night vent. Get the van serviced!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts