Headroom!!!!!

May 8, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I am a newbie, so please be gentle.

Could someone kindly advise me if there are any touring caravans out there which have better headroom than the standard 6'5"? Being 6'7", I am too restricted and it is such a shame, as my family and I really would like a tourer.

I came across Inos - their standard is 6'7" headroom, but they are very expensive vans.

Chris

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Your faced with quite a difficult situation. I am 6ft 4 inches and just clear the majority of roof area in the caravan. Can’t think of any that would be much higher. Whether the more upmarket and larger caravans from Swift Bailey or Eldiss are higher would be worth examining. Some of these are wider than norm and designed more for seasonal pitches. But pricey.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
I sympathise... being 6'3" and broad I clear regular door frames and can stand up in my Sprite, but I've smashed my head on things more times than I can remember (a fully open caravan window is at forehead height) and find myself not really fitting in places.

I think the problem is the average height; for a UK male it is 5' 10" as per a Google search (I didn't have time for a deep dive into the source data). So it seems that bed scaling is based of this figure which will appeal to the broadest spectrum of potential users; fixed single beds and fixed rear island beds seem to have a length no longer than 6' or so, meaning that I cannot lie down in the beds with a board at the bottom! You may also have an issue with the beds, depending on layout.

What I don't know is if the external height of the caravan, which limits internal headroom, is limited by any regulations, such as the 7 metre (excluding a-frame) rule for caravan length and the 2.55 metre rule for width.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
At 5'6" i have no problems with banging my head and would be happy if they made them a bit lower to cut down on wind resistance. If you are at either end of the height scale you will have to make do with something made for the average person.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Originally 6ft plus but now due to advanced years a little less I sympathise. During my time I've had one caravan of German make and from memory there was a little more headroom in this than subsequent UK vans but only marginally.
Sorry but there is no obvious solution apart from 'Duck or Grouse'

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
I’m just under 6’3”, and before we ordered our new Swift for the second time, back in 2017 (long story ! ;) ), we looked at a couple of demonstration model Lunars. The first thing I noticed in the Lunars was that my head was permanently in contact with the ceiling, and that was when I was just standing there, not even walking up and down ! - That helped us to rule that brand out from the very start.

I’m not even aware of the ceiling height in our Swift, but if you’re 6’7”, hmm ...

Hope this helps,

Ic.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Icaru5 said:
I’m just under 6’3”, and before we ordered our new Swift for the second time, back in 2017 (long story ! ;) ), we looked at a couple of demonstration model Lunars. The first thing I noticed in the Lunars was that my head was permanently in contact with the ceiling, and that was when I was just standing there, not even walking up and down ! - That helped us to rule that brand out from the very start.

I’m not even aware of the ceiling height in our Swift, but if you’re 6’7”, hmm ...

Hope this helps,

Ic.

Lc ,

Try taking your high heels off before you go in the van :p

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Icaru5 said:

Hope this helps,

Ic.

You are right about the Lunar, the headroom is 5 or 6 mm less than the other UK makes. Possibly that bit lower height helps to keep the weight and fuel used down a bit.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts