Heating in Adria 2009 542 DT Problem

Jul 7, 2019
Visit site
Hi, we have bought a fabulous Adria 2009 542 DT in excellent condition and collected it yesterday from a very reputable dealer, we have put the heating on tonight to accommodate my son and daughter in law for one night on a 240 hook up on our drive and after 15 minutes it trips out. It is a Truma Ultraheat system, and I will go back to the dealer in the morning, but is it something we are doing wrong as I’d like to keep them warm tonight if I can?

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I cannot fully remeber the system, but does it need water in the system, and then selected, heating only ???

Let them just cuddle up :p

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
They are pretty straightforward units. Clearly 240v is getting to it. There is the fan speed controller either to be set on auto or at a set speed. The controls for that are on the top of the unit. Then there is the normal wall mounted power setting of 500w. 1000w or 2000w, then there is the thermostatic heater control which sits as part off the wall mounted control. Have you rotated the thermostat setting high enough? From memory its calibration is 1-9. In summer with warmer evenings it may be set too low. No water required its totally dry air unit.

Jul 7, 2019
Visit site
Thanks, it is tripping off at the consumer unit? I set it at 2000 and 9, full blast as it was chilly out there tonight just to warm the van up for them. Every time I left it for 15 minutes the switches were flicked back up on the main unit like they had tripped out?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
kgb26 said:
Thanks, it is tripping off at the consumer unit? I set it at 2000 and 9, full blast as it was chilly out there tonight just to warm the van up for them. Every time I left it for 15 minutes the switches were flicked back up on the main unit like they had tripped out?

There are a number of possibilities and all need to be checked carefully.

You say "the switches" i.e. more than one switch had tripped in the consumer unit. is this correct? or can you be more specific about which switches have actually tripped?

Don't use the appliance, make sure its electrically isolated by removing the fuse in the spur outlet plate.

If the RCD has tripped then it suggests there is a fault on an appliance where it is shorting to earth.

If its just the MCB, then its points to a short in the element or its control circuit.

It could just be the the MCB or RCD have gone faulty and are tripping erroneously.

What ever the actual cause it needs to be investigated and repaired before its used again.

Jul 7, 2019
Visit site
Thanks, will do. We will check it again in the morning, we have a one year warranty so if there is a fault at least we can get the dealer to sort it out. Many Thanks

Jul 7, 2019
Visit site
Well, I did as advised and turned everything off last night and have tried it again this morning, fingers crossed after about 30 minutes of running it seems fine. We did have torrential rain last night and I am wondering if it was our hookup causing the consumer unit to trip off. I am going to go over it inch by inch today to check for splits etc as everyone drives over it as we usually keep our caravan plugged in on the drive, being a new van to us I am also not sure if I am employing the right method for everything yet either. Thank you for the help last night, they were toasty in our winter sleeping bags anyway.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Quote " I am going to go over it inch by inch today to check for splits etc as everyone drives over it as we usually keep our caravan plugged in on the drive"

Are you saying that you have a mains cable going to your van that is laying on the ground, unprotected from being driven over by cars?

If that is so, then you need to seriously reconsider what you are doing as that is downright dangerous from several points of view.

The mains cable MUST be protected from being driven over, either by installing a dedicated charging point with armoured cable to it, and trenched, or with the use of the protection ramps which the cable sits in away from direct contact with anything else.

Something like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hopopular-Protectors-Protective-Protector-2-Channel/dp/B07S35CSLZ/ref=asc_df_B07S35CSLZ/?tag=bingshoppinga-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid={creative}&hvpos={adposition}&hvnetw=o&hvrand={random}&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl={devicemodel}&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584482458926177&psc=1

Jul 7, 2019
Visit site
It comes from an outside water proof plug point with a trip switch and runs down the drive, I will get some of those things off Amazon and try and run it down the side of the drive instead,or I can get an armoured cable put into our shed so it doesn't go across the drive at all as a permanant solution, so will get on to that next week. We did have a plastic cable cover over it, but it just kept moving all the time, so was unsuccessful, Thanks for the sensible advice.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts