Hello All

Dec 10, 2022
Visit site
Hi All
I’m John from North West England and doing a lot of research around caravaning. I apologise in advance for a lot of stupid questions I’m likely to ask 😁

We don’t even own a caravan as yet but it’s something I have longed to own and missed to boat doing so with
My children so hoping to do so now we have a granddaughter.

trying to research what works for people, how cost effective it is and any putfalls to avoid.

looking forward to chatting and reading on the forum.

cheers
Jihn

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi and welcome to the Forum, and good luck in finding a caravan. Your question wrt what works for others has a really long list of potential replies, as few individuals are the same. Firstly if you plan on taking your granddaughter you will probably want a four berth. We took both our grandchildren out lots of times, virtually every school holiday, and pre school age too, they are now aged 30 and 18 years and we all really enjoyed it. Buying new or pre owned, , budget, single axle or twin axle, your tow cars capability, dogs, where to keep it, fixed bed for two or make up the front lounge bed, private purchase or dealership.

I would recommend sitting down and making a list of your preferences and restrictions. Reading some magazines etc. Then go along to some large dealerships and just go around to look at the layouts and sit in them to think through how you would use it. Practical Caravan magazine has a section that details all of the various layouts on the market. Wander around the two Club websites. Caravan and Motorhome Club, Camping and Caravan Club, lots of technical help sheets, descriptions of all of their sites, details of their events like rallies, overseas trips, temporary holiday sites. , local groups etc.

Cost effective relates to an individual’s own perception of value. Since we started I think that the real cost of caravanning has increased. Certainly since the pandemic and staycations the price of caravans has rocketed both new and pre owned, as has the price of cars. It may well be that as the cost of living increases bite that bubble may burst. If you can use the caravan frequently then it’s cost per diem reduces. The two Clubs have a wide range of sites called Certified Locations, or Certified Sites. These can range from a green field with only a facility for water and waste, to some with facilities that rival larger sites. The Clubs and private site owners again provide a wide range of facilities and price will reflect those facilities as well as time of year. We bought a new van in 2005 and used it all year round, later caravans are all suited for 12 month usage and are extremely comfortable. Ones with solar panels can be used “ off grid” which gives flexibility of sites.

We sold our caravan last summer not because of heath or financial reasons but because of family commitments we weren’t able to use it in other than constrained circumstance, the tow car then went last August. I felt extremely sad as we had enjoyed or caravan touring both solo and with family in Britain and abroad, but it was the right decision.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2022
Visit site
Thankyou so much for the detailed reply Clive. A lot of what you mention I have started to consider and research and some points you mention I never thought of or knew about. I think I need to look into the caravan club details.

I think we have decided on going single axle based on not only cost of van versus a twin axle but the towing costs and vehicle possibly needed for a larger van. Yes the space would be nice but not essential I feel as we would get an awning for a 4 berth to give us more space and options on the occasions others wish to join us. Me and the Mrs will be fine in the van on our own or with granddaughter so wouldn’t use the awning then.

we also like the end fixed bed with Jack and Jill washroom I believe it’s called? The model that has caught our attention the most is the Swift Eccles 560.

I work a 4 day week and my day off rotates so once a month I get a long weekend so we plan to use for weekend breaks of some description monthly. I’m on the doorstep of North Wales so plenty of places to go without too much travel.

We have found a secure site to store it with cameras gates and manned 24hrs. Think cost was £550 a year.

I really am starting from scratch on this. We have stayed in statics before which I appreciate is different so I’m also looking to get to grips with all the mechanics of running the van. Toilet maintenance, washroom running, cooking, heating, TV / Internet options. I’m watching a lot of videos on you tube. I’m also not the most mobile
So anything I can have to make life easier I will add. Thinking powered cart for transfer of water buckets / waste toilet etc. no idea how all this works but anything to make life easy will be welcome.

we won’t be jumping into this anytime soon. It will be a while down the road yet but I’m hoping to be as well informed as I can be on dos donts pros and cons.

Im also hoping once travel becomes less restricted and the COL crises settles the market may also become more favourable.

Cheers
John

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thankyou so much for the detailed reply Clive. A lot of what you mention I have started to consider and research and some points you mention I never thought of or knew about. I think I need to look into the caravan club details.

I think we have decided on going single axle based on not only cost of van versus a twin axle but the towing costs and vehicle possibly needed for a larger van. Yes the space would be nice but not essential I feel as we would get an awning for a 4 berth to give us more space and options on the occasions others wish to join us. Me and the Mrs will be fine in the van on our own or with granddaughter so wouldn’t use the awning then.

we also like the end fixed bed with Jack and Jill washroom I believe it’s called? The model that has caught our attention the most is the Swift Eccles 560.

I work a 4 day week and my day off rotates so once a month I get a long weekend so we plan to use for weekend breaks of some description monthly. I’m on the doorstep of North Wales so plenty of places to go without too much travel.

We have found a secure site to store it with cameras gates and manned 24hrs. Think cost was £550 a year.

I really am starting from scratch on this. We have stayed in statics before which I appreciate is different so I’m also looking to get to grips with all the mechanics of running the van. Toilet maintenance, washroom running, cooking, heating, TV / Internet options. I’m watching a lot of videos on you tube. I’m also not the most mobile
So anything I can have to make life easier I will add. Thinking powered cart for transfer of water buckets / waste toilet etc. no idea how all this works but anything to make life easy will be welcome.

we won’t be jumping into this anytime soon. It will be a while down the road yet but I’m hoping to be as well informed as I can be on dos donts pros and cons.

Im also hoping once travel becomes less restricted and the COL crises settles the market may also become more favourable.

Cheers
John
Well researched. Give thoughts to payload of the caravan and GVW of the car. Kit can use up payload rapidly. Ie battery 23kg mover 30-35 kg. Etc.

Reactions: Johnlfc132
Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Might be worth joining both the Caravan and Motorhome Club and the Caravan and Camping Club. You then get access to club sites and Cl or CS 5 or so pitch private sites. You get a monthly magazine from each and access to insurance, overseas travel, breakdown cover and a whole lot of etc!
Depending on the age of the grandchildren you could add an awning with inner tent for extra births (perhaps in better weather) which might expand the range of vans and layouts you can consider.
good hunting!

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi. Welcome to the forum. Condition is everything and a newer van is no guarantee that all will be well. If you buy from a dealer insist on a recent damp report, a service and the history of the van and check all the warranty condition. If you buy privately, get a local mobile caravan engineer to do you a full check. This is a good place to look for a list of mobile engineers:

Good luck in your search and keep us posted.
mel

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. I think the outline of your plans looks fine and the Eccles is a nice van. If you are buying second hand from a private seller I would get a caravan engineer to check it over for you and in particular get a damp test. There have been a good few reports of people being sold some very dodgy caravans in these sales.
The storage cost looks very close to what we pay for secure storage although prices vary according to where you live,
To get water to the caravan look up Aquaroll. This is basically a barrel which you can pull with a handle and this design is almost standard in the industry although there are other wheeled containers available. The advantage of Aquaroll is spare parts are readily available whereas most others do not provide these. They also do a wheeled waste container with some parts interchangeable and therefore also available. I use a bucket only for washing it and doubt many sites will allow you to use buckets for water or waste and you do need more capacity.
Not sure if the one you looked at a mover, but if you are at all unfit they are very useful. Some though use a lever to operate them and you need to be fit for these. You can buy some that use a winding handle to wind them on, but if the budget allows automatic ones are available.
A good electric drill also helps to reduce the effort in winding the legs up and down.
You will also need security devices. These will be stipulated by your insurer so I would not buy until you see what they say.

Jan 26, 2023
Visit site
Hi All
I’m John from North West England and doing a lot of research around caravaning. I apologise in advance for a lot of stupid questions I’m likely to ask 😁
Speed Test
We don’t even own a caravan as yet but it’s something I have longed to own and missed to boat doing so with
My children so hoping to do so now we have a granddaughter.

trying to research what works for people, how cost effective it is and any putfalls to avoid.

looking forward to chatting and reading on the forum.

cheers
Jihn
Hi John welcome to the forum

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts