Hello everyone

Jan 7, 2017
Visit site
Complete newbies here. No doubt I'm gonna ask loads of questions that have been asked thousands of times before. A bit about us. Married with 2 kids (6 & 9 mth). My Mrs is a horse rider and is selling her horse box as she wants to buy a horse trailer and therefore we will be getting a Kia Sorrento at some point this year. We enjoyed holidays away in a trailer tent last year but decided a caravan is the way forward. So the question is....which one and how much should we pay for a 1st caravan ? We would like fixed bunks and somewhere for the kids to get washed/showered. Apart from that, we aren't too bothered other than we will also need an awning. Many thanks in advance.

Neil

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Welcome to the forum, and I hope you get the answers to any of your questions.
To start with, "which one", you and your wife are the only people who can determine what is "right" for you and your family.
Go to as many caravan dealers and look at as many vans as you can, and see what layout suits you all best, then you can start looking for one.

How much should you pay? depends on your finances and how much you are prepared to pay for the van that suits you.

I am sure you will get all kinds of tech replies about licence entitlements, weight limits etc so I wlll not go there !!!!

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Whato and welcome,

What a dilemma. As Damien says, check out your licence entitlement first so you can sort your weights.

As far as family layouts are concerned fixed bunks are fine up to about the 5' mark or so and then access and sitting to read in bed can be an issue.

Set your budget and try and stick to it, don't forget to allow for additional equipment you may need, fresh water container, leisure battery, gas, electric lead, grey water container, awning and so on and so forth. Condition, damp free and service history are more important than brand or age of the van. Look at as many as possible, all go together to look, don't rush.

As far as bathroom goes then a smaller corner or side one is often better use of space BUT, for supervised showering and toileting of children a good sized end washroom can't be beaten.

Hope that helps for now.

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
I think that you need to get out and about to see what you like when it comes to caravans. We have an Adria and to be honest apart from a few small things that annoy me you can't beat it for a value family caravan, no frill so to speak but it suits us and the kids love it. From my experience of vans with bunk beds they are not as readily available as ones with a fixed double bed, they also tend to be lower in the luxury features then vans built for couples. The sorrento should give you a good choice of caravans that you can tow to be honest, depending on model and kerb weight as they do vary. I would suggest having a look online for your local dealerships and take the time to visit them to see what they have, what you like and what is in budget.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. It is difficult to advise what to buy as this is a very individual thing and so as Damon says look round the dealers and see what suits you. As for what to spend this is basically dependent on your budget and the level of luxury and what you want in it. If you are buying second hand for the same price you will find a range available with the budget models being newer but more upmarket ones older, it just depends on what you want. More upmarket ones though will be heavier so watch the weights.
If you passed your test after 1997 you will be limited to a gross train weight of up to 3,500 kg unless you have taken the additional test, so check that. For safety reasons the towing guide suggests that your caravan MTPLM should not be more than 85% of the cars kerb weight although it can be exceeded with care, but I would certainly draw a line at 95%. The towing limit of a vehicle is simply what it can restart 5 times on a 12% slope and has nothing to do with safety, so while you must never exceed it do not regard it as viable when it exceeds the weight of the car. The Kia is generally regarded as a very good tow car though.
With two children we have always found that having their beds at the back and the toilet in the middle works well as it gives a gap at night and you do not disturb the children going to the toilet after they are in bed. Shower sizes vary so look at what is available but with four of you you might find using the site facilities better than all the water collecting and emptying.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Welcome to the forum Neil.
The old Kia Sorento is still a formidable tug.
Caravan wise and obviously working to a budget go to as many dealers you can and look at their models on offer.
Many have a bargain corner tucked away. Avoid damp models.
Caravanning with young children is brilliant and exactly where many of us started years ago.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Raywood said:
If you passed your test after 1997 you will be limited to a gross train weight of up to 3,500 kg unless you have taken the additional test, so check that. ...

I know this might be considered nit picking but the Cat B licence category actually requires the combined Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM) of the tow vehicle and trailer must not exceed 3500kg. This is not the same as the Gross Train Weight, as its possible to copy with the GTW but still exceed the combined MAM, and there is no latitude with the MAM as they are precise limit figures not measured weights.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts