Hello from Spain

Dec 2, 2021
Visit site
Greetings from Spain and thank you for allowing me to participate. We are a family of 4 waiting for our new caravan and delighted to learn from all of you. Greetings !

Reactions: Hutch and PTA
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Welcome and enjoy the forum as I am sure many of us will be able to offer some helpful advice. What caravan have you ordered?

Dec 2, 2021
Visit site
I think the Mitsubishi is your best bet nice and heavy with loads of torque.
I also think so, but we've the hitch ball installed on the other car. In any case, a minor problem, because we accumulate a lot of delay in the delivery of the caravan.
Like many others, from what I read around here ;)

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Best to check the weight plate on the car.
Vauxhalls are just rebadged Opels so the limits will be the same.
Plated weights maybe, but can't guarantee towing limits are the same across GM Europe - many years ago you and I debated this on another forum, specifically Opel Netherlands used 3 different towing limits, dependent on the maximum gradient.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Plated weights maybe, but can't guarantee towing limits are the same across GM Europe - many years ago you and I debated this on another forum, specifically Opel Netherlands used 3 different towing limits, dependent on the maximum gradient.
Towing limits that are not documented on the weight plate aren't legally enforceable. They only represent the limits for which the manufacturer accepts product liability. He can therefore specify a higher towing limit than what the weight plate suggests subject to use on lesser gradients than the 12% stated in the regulations. This is to meet customer demand.
Product liability always remains with the technical centre responsible for design and development, in this case Opel in Rüsselsheim, Germany and not with Opel Netherlands, Vauxhall or any other sales organisation. These sales organisations may opt not publish technical limits beyond those required by the regulations, but that is purely at their own discretion and does not compromise what is deemed to be the actual technical limit as set by the design responsible source.
If this were not the case, an Opel purchased in the Netherlands and brought into Germany and used there would have a different towing limit to the same model bought in Germany, which is absurd.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2021
Visit site
Welcome!
Lucky you, living in a beautiful part of the world.
Haha, thank you and thank you all for the kind responses. And of course, sorry about my English if I make some mistakes.
No problem with the Opel, it's maximum towable mass (maybe MTPLM in UK?) is 1.300 kg, and the future caravan is adjusted to that figure. Now it is a question of seeing if it can tow it with ease, we usually visit mountainous areas.
By the way, we love your part of the world too and the designs and setups of English caravans. Thank you all.

Reactions: Hutch and PTA

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hello Satno
Welcome, we hope that you'll enjoy using the forum.
Please let us know when your caravan arrives 😊

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Haha, thank you and thank you all for the kind responses. And of course, sorry about my English if I make some mistakes.
No problem with the Opel, it's maximum towable mass (maybe MTPLM in UK?) is 1.300 kg, and the future caravan is adjusted to that figure. Now it is a question of seeing if it can tow it with ease, we usually visit mountainous areas.
By the way, we love your part of the world too and the designs and setups of English caravans. Thank you all.
There is a good matching site called “ Towcar.org” I’ve found it quite useful on my last three cars and two caravans. It allows flexible adjustments to things like caravan payload, car payload, noseweight etc. The predicted outfit performance is given for flat and mountain terrains plus things like engine revs at steady speed etc. Worth a look.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. My feeling is that the Opel will tow it reasonably well, but if you head into the mountains the Mitsubishi would be a far better option. There is no real substitute for good torque and power, and the more the better if you have to stop and start again on a steep hill..

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. My feeling is that the Opel will tow it reasonably well, but if you head into the mountains the Mitsubishi would be a far better option. There is no real substitute for good torque and power, and the more the better if you have to stop and start again on a steep hill..
The OPel 1.9TDI has a maximum tow limit of 1200kg so unlikely it can be used to tow a Knaus 560 which is a very heavy caravan in comparison to similar UK brands and layouts.

Dec 2, 2021
Visit site
Thank you all for your kind advice, I will check these webs. The caravan (if it arrives) is a 450, middleweight with ATC as option, but all precautions are little.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Satno, welcome to the forum, I hope that the replys have not put you off.
They would make me go somewhere else.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts