Hello & new to caravanning, advice please :)

Jan 9, 2020
Visit site
Hello all
Thank you for accepting us to the group, we have decided to travel this year and after 2 months of searching for a suitable van have decided to join caravan life instead.
We are viewing our first caravan on Sunday, a 2009 coachman amara 2 berth and would like to know what to look for? It has been heat damaged and has caused some slight rippling to one side and have been assured it hasn’t affected anything but we as complete novices would like as much info as possible and all your advice would be greatly received.
Many thanks 😊

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Jo & Rich,

Welcome to the forum.

It is obviously very difficult for us to comment specifically about the caravan you are looking at as we would need to be able to see it in the flesh, but I do suggest extreme caution!

Caravan wall construction usually consists of an outer aluminium skin an inner vinyl covered wooden skin and a foam board insulation between. These are usually bonded together in modern caravans, and in slightly older vans they may be a relatively loose fit.

If the outer skin has got hot enough to be damaged, it is almost certain the skin will have transferred heat to the foam fill. The foam should not be able support a flame, but it will almost certainly melt or shrivel.

I have to assume that from the nature of your question, you are not experienced in caravan repairs, as often the cost of getting it repaired can be eye watering. The fact you know a caravan has been damaged can reduce the enjoyment of using it, as well as reducing its value.

So my advice is walk away from a known damaged caravan.

Best of luck

Oct 22, 2019
Visit site
Hello, I would 2nd what Prof said above. We searched long and hard before we finally purchased. Have a look around some dealers first to get a feel of layouts etc that you like. Listen to your gut rather than your heart too!

I would also say as you yourself you know nothing, I would suggest looking here: https://www.approvedworkshops.co.uk/find-approved-workshop

Once you find a 'van you like get a mobile service engineer to look at with you for peace of mind. You'll also need them afterwards for annual servicing.

Good luck in the search..

Reactions: Jo&Rich
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Agreed ; there are plenty of good ones out there that have no damage as people care for their vans. With that sort of heat how have the seals stood the test? Water ingress is a biggy with older caravans!

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I tend to agree. With that damage it needs someone experienced to assess the position. There are plenty of caravans out there, so as you are a newcomer I would be more inclined to use a reputable dealer for a safer purchase.
If you are still interested then do get a engineer to look at it and give you his thoughts.
I would suggest you look up the Caravan and Motorhome Club web site and have a look at the Advice and Training section which should help.

Jan 9, 2020
Visit site
Thank you all for your valuable advice and taking the time to reply, following the information we are cancelling our viewing on Sunday, I think we will start again with our search being at a reputable dealers 😊

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thank you all for your valuable advice and taking the time to reply, following the information we are cancelling our viewing on Sunday, I think we will start again with our search being at a reputable dealers 😊
I think that you have made the correct decision. At this time of the year there is no panic as the “ spring rush” isn’t here yet. If it even appears this year.
Take your time to look over the caravan. Look for condition. Does it look well cared for. Does it have a good service history. How old are tyres? Etc. Dealers are keen to do deals at this time of the year before spring trade in arrive. So don’t panic and negotiate firmly.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Jo & Rich, welcome to the forum.
I fully agree with the previous contributors, you have no way to assess the extent of any hidden damage or the potential costs involved.
Make a list of 'must haves' ' likes' and 'dont need' items, for example if you enjoy cooking you'll need a good kitchen area, think about where you will watch tv for 230v and aerial sockets, will you use the onboard shower or the site facilities?
Print copies of your list for when you look at potential purchases.
Check for signs of damp, soft wallboards, black mould and don't forget to check behind curtains and to gently peel back rubber window surrounds for signs of leakage.
Look inside lockers along the roof / wall joints, especially on the awning rail side, check floor integrity by checking inside floor lockers, and look at front and rear end panels for signs of stress cracking.
If you have any questions, just ask 😊

Last edited:

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi. Welcome to the forum. I agree, good decision. Have a look at the Caravan finder website, if you haven’t already. It will give you an idea what is out there.
Happy hunting
Mel

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi. Welcome to the forum. I agree, good decision. Have a look at the Caravan finder website, if you haven’t already. It will give you an idea what is out there.
Happy hunting
Mel
Jo&Rich

I agree with Parksy recommendations but I have had vans where damp was detected during service or the six monthly damp check and fortunately it had not progressed far enough to give any visible signs or any smell either. So you need to be confident in any dealers damp check or get your own independent check.

Reactions: Jo&Rich and Parksy
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I totally agree with the additional points that have been added, and I feel justified in diverting you away from the caravan you were considering.

I will add a further suggestion. Perhaps you have a family member or close friend who caravans, and they may be willing to help you view a few caravans at local dealers. With their experience, they may be able to spot some of the problems that can arise which an inexperienced person might miss.

Remember as the buyer you have the upper hand. Don't be afraid to ask questions becasue legally it is up to you to be certain the goods you are interested in will do what you need and want. Make a list of any questions you may have, and use it. The law requires seller to provide accurate information and answers. Do all of this BEFORE you agree to purchase, so that if anything seems fishy or wrong you can walk away.

When you eventually find a caravan that you really think is right for you, then its worth employing an independent caravan engineer to go over the caravan for you, before you agree to buy it!.

No honest seller would object to you having it inspected, and if they do object then it should raise your suspicions , and it might be wise to forget that caravan or dealer. These inspections will cost but it is money well spent to to have the caravan professionally checked for condition.

Generally buying from a dealer may cost more, but you do get stronger consumer protection through the Consumer Rights Act 2015 - even for secondhand goods. Buying from a private seller will usually cost less, but you will find it much harder to get any problems sorted.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Good move; as all above have said, it is a buyers market-our local dealer has masses of stock of lovely looking caravans all with warranties. Take you time and get a good one!

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Just a point to add to the Prof's point on purchasing from a dealer. If you do use a credit card to pay for at least the deposit and you will get additional protection with rights against the card company if there is a problem although we hope not.

Jan 9, 2020
Visit site
Hi Jo & Rich, welcome to the forum.
I fully agree with the previous contributors, you have no way to assess the extent of any hidden damage or the potential costs involved.
Make a list of 'must haves' ' likes' and 'dont need' items, for example if you enjoy cooking you'll need a good kitchen area, think about where you will watch tv for 230v and aerial sockets, will you use the onboard shower or the site facilities?
Print copies of your list for when you look at potential purchases.
Check for signs of damp, soft wallboards, black mould and don't forget to check behind curtains and to gently peel back rubber window surrounds for signs of leakage.
Look inside lockers along the roof / wall joints, especially on the awning rail side, check floor integrity by checking inside floor lockers, and look at front and rear end panels for signs of stress cracking.
If you have any questions, just ask 😊
Thank you, some very helpful advice in your message 😊

Reactions: Parksy
Jan 9, 2020
Visit site
I totally agree with the additional points that have been added, and I feel justified in diverting you away from the caravan you were considering.

I will add a further suggestion. Perhaps you have a family member or close friend who caravans, and they may be willing to help you view a few caravans at local dealers. With their experience, they may be able to spot some of the problems that can arise which an inexperienced person might miss.

Remember as the buyer you have the upper hand. Don't be afraid to ask questions becasue legally it is up to you to be certain the goods you are interested in will do what you need and want. Make a list of any questions you may have, and use it. The law requires seller to provide accurate information and answers. Do all of this BEFORE you agree to purchase, so that if anything seems fishy or wrong you can walk away.

When you eventually find a caravan that you really think is right for you, then its worth employing an independent caravan engineer to go over the caravan for you, before you agree to buy it!.

No honest seller would object to you having it inspected, and if they do object then it should raise your suspicions , and it might be wise to forget that caravan or dealer. These inspections will cost but it is money well spent to to have the caravan professionally checked for condition.

Generally buying from a dealer may cost more, but you do get stronger consumer protection through the Consumer Rights Act 2015 - even for secondhand goods. Buying from a private seller will usually cost less, but you will find it much harder to get any problems sorted.
Thank you for taking the time to reply, good advice here and we hadn’t thought about asking a caravan engineer to check one over, thanks again 😊

Reactions: Parksy and JezzerB

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts