HELP AND ADVICE PLEASE

Jun 11, 2016
Visit site
Hi all.

I'm new to the site, I've been a reader but now progressed to signing up, and I wanted your advice, please.

Have a new van coming soon, and I want to potentially buy a new tow car to replace my EXCELLENT 2.2 Tdci Titanium X estate Mondeo (08).

Not thinking of buying new, potentially upto 3 years old. Upto maybe £23k, but the less the better.

Needs to pull a van with MTPML of 1622kg. Though I don't profess to be a veteran tow pilot, as it were, I've been towing a couple of years and confident enough now. The van carries little weight when towing (25kg awning and general small paraphernalia), so I'd say will never be anywhere near 1622kg, and closer to its MRO of 1446kg. My car, on the other hand, is always fully Laden with min two adults and two children plus a fully packed estate boot and a full tank of fuel (admittedly the fuel gets used, but rarely gets near empty as I don't want to fill up with van in tow). So I guess what I'm getting at is, although I respect the sensibility of the 85% rule, I don't expect to achieve it, nor do I meet it at the moment, with approx 92%. If it helps, new van will be fitted with ATC trailer stability option too.

Th fact is, whilst a big 4x4 like Discovery, or Grand Cherokee, would be lovely, 95% of the time, the car pulls solo on A road commute journeys with just myself, so it's a little nonsensical to have. Anyway ramble over, I've been considering the following, any advice, or alternative suggestions?

Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate
Audi A6 Avant 3l Diesel quattro
BMW Touring 530D or 535D
Grand Cherokee
Discovery
New Mondeo Estate
Passat Biturbo estate 4motion

Would really love to hear and appreciate your views and advice.

Sorry for long message, newbie so go easy on me ha ha

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi and welcome.
You may be kidding yourself about the 'van's weight. You've not mentioned the battery and gas bottle(s). I take it you don't have a mover? You'd be surprised how much all the "general small paraphernalia" weighs and just how much of it you end up carrying. If it were me I'd work on the assumption I'd be towing somewhere close to the MTPML when selecting a tug. I offer no comment about towcars, never having had any of those listed by yourself.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Welcome to the forum Sterling.
Well done for thinking through your requirements.
There is no such thing as a 85% rule.
It is merely a guideline suggested for novice tugger.
Juggling weight ratios as you suggest is not good practice.
Use the MTPLM in all your calculations.
If you carry bicycles on a tow bar mounted bracket you will have to watch the weight load overall on the tow bar.
Car wise I can only say a friend had a Jeep. It was always in the garage. Even his rear diff failed.

Jun 11, 2016
Visit site
Thanks guys, for welcome and advice. I agree with all you've said. I do go on the MTPLM but I'm just conscious the two figures are under and over estimates, and worsens, or beyond indeed.

On bikes, carry them on car roof.

Think new van is pretty much 100% of car kerb weight and, whilst I don't doubt ot won't struggle, I'm looking for something heavier (car).....Maybe around 1800ky plus ideally and plenty of grunt and power, be reasonably refined and economic.....I don't want much I know ha ha.

Thanks again guys

May 7, 2012
Visit site
You do need something significantly heavier than the MTPLM of the caravan and given your experience I would not go too far off the 85% figure and certainly stick at no more than 90%. The choice of car though is very personal and all you list are competent tow cars. After weight you do need power to shift the load so as big an engine as you can afford helps.
When looking second hand to me it is finding a car in good condition that fits your needs and worrying less about the make.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
You could do far worse than look at the Volvo XC70 with the 2.4 D5 engine. I had one before the Shogun and Im seriously thinking about going back to another one. You get all wheel drive, an engine that will pull all day long, a quality feel to the car and loads of carrying room, plus its more than heavy enough for your needs.

Jun 11, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. Was just wondering of anyone towed with any of these, for advice. Thanks again. Fancying the Merc at moment, but wondering how it is with a van, and also if the rear wheel drive is a big disadvantage over the 4 wheel drive of Passat and A6.....Though only have front wheel drive at the moment.

Mar 21, 2008
Visit site
Buffers said:
why not get a galaxy or similar cheaper running costs than a 4x4 and still have the weight for towing

I quite agree. Although I tow with a Discovery now, I had a Galaxy (new shape) for 3 years and found it an excellent tow car, comfortable and economical.

Jun 11, 2016
Visit site
I am sure you guys must have been talking to my Netter half, as she's suggesting SMAX or Galaxy. It's a nice car, don't get me wrong, but not sure I want a big "van", especially for the everyday use, which equates to 90% of its workload.

Think in all seriousness, it's between :

Th four wheel drive cars
Passat Estate 4motion, biturbo (need to check weight)
Audi A6 Quattro 3l Diesel
Or
The rear wheel drive cars
BMW 535D Touring (or 530D)
Merc E350 Estate

I'm leaning towards the Merc, but feel the VW or Audi would be better with the allwheeldrive.
But the Merc is beautiful to drive and be in.

Arghhhhhh decisions!!!!

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Hi Sterling White Rose and Welcome to the Forum.One vehicle that nobody has mentioned is a KIA SORENTO.its basically a Mercedes .All merc running gear .I cant give my own opinion as I tug with a BMW X5 After saying that a close friend of mine tugs with one and hes never looked back ,pulls his Bailey T/A no problems.There are pleny of good motors out there for towing choose wisely
Sir Roger

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
If it's of any use, I'm on my third cheaper and lighter Passat (2.0 TDI 150PS) and it's lovely. I haven't driven a 4WD biturbo but if it's the same as my car only more powerful that sounds good to me. I was tempted by the Volvo V70/XC70 but in the end stayed with VW due to being offered a much better finance deal.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
SirRogerFFS said:
Hi Sterling White Rose and Welcome to the Forum.One vehicle that nobody has mentioned is a KIA SORENTO.its basically a Mercedes .All merc running gear .I cant give my own opinion as I tug with a BMW X5 After saying that a close friend of mine tugs with one and hes never looked back ,pulls his Bailey T/A no problems.There are pleny of good motors out there for towing choose wisely
Sir Roger
The Kia Sorrento has never had Mercedes running gear

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts