help for beginner please

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

I am very very new to this so am wondering if someone can give me some advice. I have just bought a 1991 Compass Omega caravan. The thing is I have no idea what to do with it. I am okay towing and pitching it up as I previously had a little Sprite. But I have no idea what to do with the rest of it; things like water, which pipe goes where, electricity etc. Could anyone advise me or do I need to go to the manufacturers? Many thanks.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Jane my first van was a compass omega '91. I thought then what i still do now, half the fun is learning what does what and how it all works.

Failing that go to a caravan park or dealership and ask some advice but most of all enjoy it!

p.s. this advice doesn't cover awnings....there a ideal way to end a good marriage. :)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Unlike the guy with a 'C' missing?!..I agree with John, we all have to start somewhere so might as well have a laugh along the way. It must be strange to come out of a Sprite where the only technical knowledge required was how to lock the door!, into the modern world of a well equipped home on wheels. Try asking a specific question like how does the water or room heater work, also say what make and model it is and then build up a complete picture from there.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If I were you I would call in to your nearest camping and caravanning or caravan club site, explain the situation and I am sure they would gladly help you get set up on site. Before your first trip you will need to make sure you have a few basic essentials like electricity lead, clean and waste water container and pipes to connect and water pump. Any carvan accessory shop will let you have these. Maybe if you take the van they will show you how to connect. My two local dealers would.

In my experience as a newbie just two years ago, they will be more than happy to help you. If I lived nearby I would pop over and run through things myself.

Caravanners in general are a helpful bunch, Don't be afraid to ask. Good luck

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
u r ok asking how do things and we will all help u all we can but u always get people who always try 2 put people like u down so don't worry keep asking

If your van is parked at home why not live in it for a day or two, Then with the internet handy, as problems occur you can come on here and solve them one by one . You'll still make mistakes though . I still do, and some can be more expensive than others . Stay safe and switch off the AC power at the mains and the gas bottle before you go to sleep .

Happy Holiday!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If your van is parked at home why not live in it for a day or two, Then with the internet handy, as problems occur you can come on here and solve them one by one . You'll still make mistakes though . I still do, and some can be more expensive than others . Stay safe and switch off the AC power at the mains and the gas bottle before you go to sleep .

Happy Holiday!
Why switch off the AC mains and Gas before going to sleep??

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts