Help Identifying model of heater & instructions...

Nov 8, 2018
Visit site
Hi everyone. The only thing I've not got working in my caravan is the blown air heater. I suspect this is down to me now knowing how it works rather than it being broken but I can't for the life of me find any information online. Everything else I've been able to find and identify through google images but this one has me stumped (hence why I'm asking you guys!)

Here are a couple of pictures. If anyone can shed some light on the model and operation of it that would be great. Bonus points if you know where I can find a manual :lol:

Thanks in advance!

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
You could try here
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1066772/Carver-3600-Stc.html#manual
as similar. There are fault finding pages towards the back.
I think you will find that the hole next to the control used to hold a click-push piezo ignitor, so originally you could rotate the gas knob, hold in and then click to ignite.
It is in event a Carver fire as stamped on the casing. Someone else might be able to number the model for you as it predates the 3600STC that the link is for.
My recollection of a later date unit is that you could pull the base outwards about a couple of cm, then lift the cover off two lugs at the top, which you could try gently and then there might be an original label to identify the unit.

Nov 8, 2018
Visit site
audiorob said:
You could try here
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1066772/Carver-3600-Stc.html#manual
as similar. There are fault finding pages towards the back.
I think you will find that the hole next to the control used to hold a click-push piezo ignitor, so originally you could rotate the gas knob, hold in and then click to ignite.
It is in event a Carver fire as stamped on the casing. Someone else might be able to number the model for you as it predates the 3600STC that the link is for.
My recollection of a later date unit is that you could pull the base outwards about a couple of cm, then lift the cover off two lugs at the top, which you could try gently and then there might be an original label to identify the unit.

Big thanks for that. I managed to get the whole front cover off (with a little persuasion) which revealed that a long rod which attached to the ignitor had come loose and fallen down in to the unit. I've fitted it again in its rightful spot and it works. I've managed to get it to ignite so now I'm just waiting to see if it warms up as it should : )

Thanks again!

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Well done Tombo, you'll soon be a caravan guru and will be offering advice on to our first time caravanners

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Tombo, soon The Prof will come in with , very correct info about, self help on gas appliances. Which is correct, just keep going, . You are doing well.

I had a gas leak in France , sorted my self, did I get a gas man to check it No basic. .
Carry on Tombo. :p

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I am pretty sure the fire in the pic is a Carver SB1800 and the piezzo connection is well known for vibrating off where it is supposed to sit to operate the ignition, as yours has done.

No problem with what you have done, it is what anyone would do and could do .

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Tombo, soon The Prof will come in with , very correct info about, self help on gas appliances. Which is correct, just keep going, . You are doing well.

I had a gas leak in France , sorted my self, did I get a gas man to check it No basic. .
Carry on Tombo. :p

As Damian has pointed out the model would appear to be a Carver 1800. which is functionally the same as a Truma SB 1800. You will find a set of instructions for the SB1800 here:-

http://www.arcsystems.biz/
The case is different, but it works in exactly the same way.

Points of note:

The heater discharges its fumes below the floor of the caravan. It is therefore essential that free air flow must be maintained under the caravan. This includes the removal of any snow build up

Some models have to use steel/bundy tube internal gas pipe work to comply with the construction regulations. It is therefore important the condition of teh pipes are checked at least annually, and replaced if corrosion is found.

And that leads me onto the dire warnings that Hutch has made you prepare for.

As the caravan is being used as full time accommodation, it is likely that the caravan could be deemed to be a domestic dwelling. As such the full force of the Gas Safety Installation and Use Regulations will apply to the dwelling, and that means you must refer all service, adjustment, repairs of the gas installation or appliances to a registered Liquefied Petroleum gas fitter. That is the law.

You are fine simply refitting the control shaft as it does not affect any of the gas controls or safety systems.

Nov 8, 2018
Visit site
Thanks again everyone for the kind words and advice. I won't personally be using the heater as I have EHU however I'd like to return this caravan to my sister as something she could use rather than just a glorified tent on wheels haha, Prior to me taking it on absolutely nothing worked and it was absolutely filthy. For some reason some ladybirds had taken a liking to it as they were everywhere! After a lot of cleaning and hard work it's not a fully functional dwelling.

Prof. Notes taken regarding gas safety etc. Thanks for that information. I'm only going to be in this 'van for about 2 months tops so for the time being I am using smoke/gas/carbon monoxide alarms and as a separate measure I make sure the gas switch off valve is shut and regulator detached from the gas bottle if every I'm leaving the 'van unattended. After getting my own however it will be getting a full once over from a professional.

Thanks again!

Tom

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts