Help on Italian Toll Roads

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Hello Everyone,

It's been a while since I have been on the Forum, but I am now looking for help on the best way to pay when travelling on the Toll Roads in Italy. Is it easy to just pay with a UK Credit Card each time, or is it best to get an Automatic Pass to allow payment at the end of the month. If the second option I have tried to understand how it works, but not as simple as the French system, so if anyone can give me a simple explanation or method on how I can get one.

Appreciate any help you can give me.

Jan 12, 2019
Visit site
We use a toll tag and pay monthly from our uk bank account. We order it from tolltickets.com, pick it up at Folkestone services, go on holiday have fun and return the tag to Folkestone on the return journey. It works a treat but we still hold our breath as we approach the barriers, just in case...... By the way, if you use a tag go for the hgv lanes not the car fast lanes. Hope this helps.

Jan 12, 2019
Visit site
Don’t forget ACSI card if you’re travelling out of high season, the savings are great! Used them last year all the way down to Dubrovnik, great sites and good prices!

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Hello Olivegrower,
We also went to Dubrovnik last year in September, and we have used ACSI since we started caravanning in 2010.
I tried Tolltickets but it seemed very complicated, so decided to suck it and see. I have also since purchased a good quality map of Italy and think we will try using the A & B roads as a result, as we do in France. They may be slower but you do get to see the country better.
I will let you know how we get on, when we return in June.
Many thanks,
George

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Lutz said:
Recently I have been driving down to Italy quite regularly and have had no problems anywhere paying tolls using my credit card.

But Lutz, the hassle for us is the toll gate on the other side of the car, it can be a pain in the bum, thats why i have kept my Sanoff tolling , or who they are now for over 8 years. .

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
EH52ARH said:
But Lutz, the hassle for us is the toll gate on the other side of the car, it can be a pain in the bum, thats why i have kept my Sanoff tolling , or who they are now for over 8 years. .

I understand, but when towing the caravan, even with a left hand drive car, I have to get out of the car to pay by credit card because I can't reach the machine while sitting on the driver's seat.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Well our Italian Adventure is over, so I thought I should let you know how we got on. We did not get a Pass for the Motorway, and only had one problem in making the payment, when I had not realised that my Credit Card had to be inserted in the same place as the Toll Ticket. The cost of the Motorways is very reasonable, especially when compared to France and can easily be justified by time saved. As an example Salerno to Rome was only 23 euro, but saved conservatively 2 hours and was less stressful as a result. The main roads were generally in a poor condition, some were dreadful, but we mainly had no problems. However on our way back to Innsbruck, when we paid our fee at the Italian Border, we could see there was a queue at the booths, however what we did not expect was that it went ALL the way back into Innsbruck!!

Our trip was 4,100 miles long and we went as far south as Lecce on the heel of Italy, the weather was very mixed, with lots of rain. This was a problem as we had taken no wet weather coats or shoes and we got soaked a couple of time. On our campsite near Florence I had to tow a Motor Home of his pitch, as it had dug itself into the mud, due to the amount of rain that had fallen. Our favourite place was Siena, and whilst it was busy, it was nowhere near as crowded as Rome & Florence, and the sun shone. We also enjoyed Assisi and were fortunate to be there for their annual Festival, as our site ran a bus to it, we did not have to worry about driving or parking. We generally used ACSI sites and had no problems in getting pitches without booking ahead. The sites where generally OK, with the exception of Florence, where the pitches were not very good.

Thanks to all for the help given, I did appreciate it.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I know what you mean about the state of some of the roads, they make ours look good. We always used the toll roads where possible but even some of those are quite broken. When it rains in Italy, it comes down with a vengeance, Im guessing usually late afternoon, but at least its fairly warm rain.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts