Help on stolen caravans please

Sep 20, 2022
Visit site
So, purchased our first caravan 2 weeks ago. Went into this totally oblivious. A friend has told me they purchased their caravan and it came Cris registered. I got no paperwork with my caravan (like I said, all new to me and didn't think to question paperwork! Got a receipt though). So, thought I'd register with CRIS for peace of mind, finds out today from them that it's flagged stolen or security watch?? She said stolen from 13 years ago! Been in touch with who we purchased off, they bought from a man who said hes had the caravan years and it isn't stolen. So I've rang the police today and they can't find any record of the caravan let alone it being stolen. So paid for a check and it says stolen or security watch flagged, and no registered keeper. What do i do??

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
There is no obligation to have a caravan CRIS registered and the record could be from many years ago when it was stolen, then recovered and the insurance company then sold it legally which is why the police may not have a record any longer.
#As a starter why don't you ask CRIS when it was recorded as stolen and then ask them to update their records as it will be very difficult trying to insure a stolen caravan if you decide to insure it? Is it an old caravan or not so old?

Sep 20, 2022
Visit site
That's the confusion, the police have no record of it yet its still showing on cris. It was reported stolen in 2009 and the caravan is a 2006 model. Will call Cris today and see if I can get any more information from them.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
There is no obligation to have a caravan CRIS registered and the record could be from many years ago when it was stolen, then recovered and the insurance company then sold it legally which is why the police may not have a record any longer.
#As a starter why don't you ask CRIS when it was recorded as stolen and then ask them to update their records as it will be very difficult trying to insure a stolen caravan if you decide to insure it? Is it an old caravan or not so old?
I bought a caravan that was not CRIS registered and had no problem insuring it, but the OP may have a problem as his is on a data base as stolen. Being 13 years ago I wonder how accessible the police records may be, or their interest in even pursuing some form of search. Wonder if the previous owner had it insured and who with. Although buying from a man who knows a man seems a bit suspicious. Hopefully the OP can resolve it via CRIS who do access police records, if they are available that is. Even spent convictions can be wiped in a shorter period than being discussed here.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I bought a caravan that was not CRIS registered and had no problem insuring it, but the OP may have a problem as his is on a data base as stolen. Being 13 years ago I wonder how accessible the police records may be, or their interest in even pursuing some form of search. Wonder if the previous owner had it insured and who with. Although buying from a man who knows a man seems a bit suspicious. Hopefully the OP can resolve it via CRIS who do access police records, if they are available that is. Even spent convictions can be wiped in a shorter period than being discussed here.
Can CRIS can access police records for stolen caravans as somehow I doubt it? However it is possible that the police or insurance companies supply records of stolen caravans to CRIS. Either way I would think that records would be kept for longer than 13 years?

However this does not help the OP if CRIS have not updated their records if the police or insurance have not updated CRIS. I wonder how many other people have been put off when CRIS has advised as stolen or on finance when neither are valid?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Can CRIS can access police records for stolen caravans as somehow I doubt it? However it is possible that the police or insurance companies supply records of stolen caravans to CRIS. Either way I would think that records would be kept for longer than 13 years?

However this does not help the OP if CRIS have not updated their records if the police or insurance have not updated CRIS. I wonder how many other people have been put off when CRIS has advised as stolen or on finance when neither are valid?

Under a FOI request to Lancashire Police in 2008 it confirmed that certain commercial organisations do have access to police stolen vehicle records, which makes sense as it widens the net to either recover the vehicle, and protect an unsuspecting buyer from buying a stolen vehicle. The organisations pay an annual fee for access.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
All is not lost. In addition to what CRIS say they must have the date and identity of the person who reported the theft. It could have been the Insurer or the original owner. They should give you this info.
This will tell you a little more what is available https://www.cris.co.uk/cris-check/

Sep 20, 2022
Visit site
Thank you, I've done a cris check and it says registered keeper not confirmed and stolen or security watch as recorded. The only information Cris has given me is that it was reported stolen in 2009 and maybe in Dorset. I've passed my details on to Dorset police and am awaiting to hear back. I fear I will be out of pocket though now 😔

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I think GDPR would prevent the personal details being released, but the insurer is different.
I would think that if the insurance company have paid out, the caravan belongs to the insurer and it would be up to the insurance company to notify that it is no longer stolen? I guess things do slip through the cracks from time to time. :unsure:

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I would think that if the insurance company have paid out, the caravan belongs to the insurer and it would be up to the insurance company to notify that it is no longer stolen? I guess things do slip through the cracks from time to time. :unsure:
That’s right as the insurer would not be bound by GPDR by just releasing that information but If it did belong to the insurer what would they do to try and recoup the costs that fell to them in any payout?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
That’s right as the insurer would not be bound by GPDR by just releasing that information but If it did belong to the insurer what would they do to try and recoup the costs that fell to them in any payout?
Perhaps they sell the caravan to a preferred dealer selected by them. When we rejected our caravan in 2017, it was collected by a well known dealership and put up for sale the next day. I suspect something similar happens with stolen caravans which could be why the CRIS database was never updated?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
There’s nothing stopping CRIS asking the “original “ Owner , Insurer to contact the current keeper. That’s if the Insurers still have the details . I’m surprise£ CRIS aren’t being more helpful. Saying it’s stolen is one thing but surely they can’t leave the current keeper dangling?

Reactions: Buckman
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The CRIS response says the caravan was either stolen or on security watch. I do not know what "security watch means and perhaps that would mean the caravan was not reported as stolen.

I think you should clarify with CRIS what "Security Watch" means That should not break any GDPR rules, but it might give a clearer picture of how to approach the matter.

If it was reported stolen a crime number should have been issued, If you can find the crime number that should give more pointers on where to look.

Sadly you must face the risk the caravan was reported as stolen, and not recovered, in which case you are not the owner, regardless of having receipt. If the caravan is recovered by the owner, then you could pursue the person who sold it to you through the small claims court.

Good luck

Reactions: Dustydog

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts