Help please.

May 22, 2014
Visit site
We have been out for the first time in our sterling Eccles onyx caravan year 2000.
1) when you run the sink Tap in the bedroom the shower tap in the toilet leaks water from its base ( badly).
2) the sliding door from the bedroom to living area is jammed half way open.

Are these problems easily rectified or major jobs???
Thanks.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Fern,

Welcome to the forum.

Both the problems are within the capabilities of a reasonably competent DIY'er, The problem is we don't know what skills you have available. To put it into some perspective, if you can change a tap washer at home, then I'd suggest you have the necessary understanding to cope with the problems in the caravan, however the fact you posted to ask suggests you are not confident in such things.

Neither should be too expensive to fix, but without being able to see the problems I don't know if the bathroom tap will need to be replaced or simply refitted. And the door may just need to be fe hung on its runners.

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. I am not bad at DIY. But I am a bit hand fisted. Lol. I tarted to adjust the door thinking the same as you however it wouldn't budge. It's enclosed by a wardrobe and the sink in the bedroom. As for the tap I am unsure how easy it is to get to the pipes and the back of the tap. Don't want to break anything as the van is immaculate. Thanks again.

May 24, 2014
Visit site

The mind boggles. :cheer: If you have your van serviced annualy, ask the agent to sort it for you, the issues you have a very minor and probably wouldnt cost anything if he is in a good mood. If you don't have it serviced, ask yourself "why not". Safety considerations alone say you should get the gas/electrical appliances and running gear checked.

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Lol I meant started. We have only just got the van and have arranged for it to be serviced etc. I was just asking an open question as I also want to maintain bits myself.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
OKey doke, the door is probably just off its runner, anyone with a mark 1 eyeball will be able to see where its jumped off and just hitch it back on. Simples :cheer:

As for the shower hose, try simply nipping the threaded connector up, but dont over do it. If not, then take a look at the self sealing washer.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Welcome to the forum and apart from the relatively minor maintenance problems I hope that you enjoyed your first trip. :)
Have a look at the top of the door to see if a runner has broken or is off the rail.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Welcome Fern

rest assured even brand new caravans have initial teething problem. Don't be too worried. The possible sliding door should be easily remedied as stated before.
It is possible the hot and cold water systems were not properly drained down for the winter. This may have caused one of the plastic pipes to fracture. Once you locate the bad joint or pipe it should be easily fixed.
Good luck.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts