HELP!!! Tar removal with white spirit has turned front of my ...

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
Oh my...I'm in deep doo-doo now with the mrs...

I got some tar spots last weekend and have started to remove them with white spirit. This has broken down the tar spots fine...the only problem is that the resultant beige liquid formed from the white spirit and tar has run down and stained the front of the van a lovely beige colour. It won't come off now.

So far I've used concentrated Fenwick's, AutoGlym intense tar remover...nothing is shifting it. I'm worried now that the front is now permanently stained.

As a footnote, I tried the AutoGlym stuff on a fresh tar spot and that also created a faint beige stain, even though I wiped around it straight after. I'm wondering if it's just the material that is used on the front of my Sterling Eccles Trekker (2005), reacting with both of the chemicals?

Anyway, I can't believe this hasn't happened before???

The only two posts on here are just about standard tar removal, not the resultant stain.

Any tips gratefully received, I'll post up what works and doesn't work as I try them.

Many thanks,

Gary

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Gary I always use house hold polish to remove tar spots from my car and caravan, never had a problem.I don`t know weather it will work now you have used white spirit, but I cant see it doing any harm

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
Hi Gary I always use house hold polish to remove tar spots from my car and caravan, never had a problem.I don`t know weather it will work now you have used white spirit, but I cant see it doing any harm
Hi Rick,

Thanks for your suggestion. I eventually got hold of some T-cut last night, plus some Autoglym Paint Restorer - both seemed to make headway in to the stains, but it was getting late and the light was fading, so it was hard to tell how close to white it was getting.

I'm going up there again (it's in storage up the road) this morning, so will know more then.

When you say household polish, do you mean normal furniture spray?

Cheers,

Gary

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
If your front is ABS you might have a serious problem. Hydrocarbons interact with ABS. Just been reading about ABS and horrified what affects it. I've cleaned previous

vans with standard car polish but won't do so now as most contain petrol.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Rick,

Thanks for your suggestion. I eventually got hold of some T-cut last night, plus some Autoglym Paint Restorer - both seemed to make headway in to the stains, but it was getting late and the light was fading, so it was hard to tell how close to white it was getting.

I'm going up there again (it's in storage up the road) this morning, so will know more then.

When you say household polish, do you mean normal furniture spray?

Cheers,

Gary
hi Gary glad your getting somewhere with it, Yes I normally use mr sheene or pledge to remove the tar spots then on the van use fenwicks and on my car just any car polish

hope you get sorted

Mar 7, 2008
Visit site
Hi Gary.

I have been in the vehicle repair buisiness for 20 years now as a paint sprayer! What ya problem is that you have melted all the tar with the white spirit! I suggest that you go to a vehicle paint supplier and get 5litres of paint degreaser/spirit wipe, which will not harm the paint at all but disperse the tar! douse a rag with the liquid then wipe off with a clean one! this should help, if not douse another and wipe the area again but get the jet wash out and blast the area. That should get it!!! let me know how you get on mate! USE CLEAN RAGS ALL THE TIME OTHERWISE YOU WILL BE GOING ROUND IN CIRCLES AND THE BEND!!!!

Mar 7, 2008
Visit site
SORRY, The physics of it is, on a painted panel under the microscope the surface has millions of pores like skin! so when you have wipped the paintwork you have melted the tar with your white spirits and the tar goes yellow/brown then sits in these little cavities!

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
SORRY, The physics of it is, on a painted panel under the microscope the surface has millions of pores like skin! so when you have wipped the paintwork you have melted the tar with your white spirits and the tar goes yellow/brown then sits in these little cavities!
T CUT OR WD40 DONT GO TO HARD WITH T CUT

Mar 7, 2008
Visit site
dont understand dean

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts