help with kia sedona- diesel & tyres

peo

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
i have just bought a bargain 2.9 diesel sedona- 1yr old demo with 17 miles on the clock. the owners book states that the trye pressures are 36psi all round but does not mention loads, towing ect.have contacted dealer who said" if it doesn't feel right blow them up a bit". also the book states that you must wait for glow plug lights to go off before starting although dealer states its a modern engine and you can just start it straight off. anyone got one and knows whats what as i dont trust the dealer advice 1 bit- cheers

Jul 5, 2005
Visit site
Hi

not sure about the other stuff, but my Kia Sportage Diesel handbook does state that the glow-plug light should go out before you crank the engine - if you have not done so within 10 seconds you should re-heat the coil.

I would assume your engine will be the same.

hope this helps.

Mark (",)

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Peo,

I would contact KIA UK directly re towing and loading etc the Koreans are really into the caravanning thing !!

Seriously though you want a letter stating exactly what the psi or Bar should be. God for bid but your insurance company will easily reject a claim if your tyres we found to have contributed to an accident. Over inflation can be as deadly as under inflation.

If the glow plug requires a delay then that's what the manual says then that's what it says - take it as gospel

By the way I don't hold much faith in your dealer firstly the 2.9 isn't a modern design - the engine on the new sportage is the modern one.

Secondly when your dealer asks Kia Uk to carry out warranty work they have to ask KIA UK for permission in turn the broken items becomes the property of KIA UK which they inspect and take up with the supplier; the problem lies when your dealer gets selective memory and goes by the handbook not by their previous advice.

Monkeys husband

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
HI Peo,

The reason for the glow plug delay is to make sure that the first few bursts of diesel fuel are warm enough to burn, otherwise the car won't start or at best, run very rough for a few seconds.

On a hot day, or with a hot engine, modern car ECU computers monitor these temperatures and reduce the glow plug delay - so newly designed cars won't show a glow plug warning at all - but some previous models do.

On a cold day, or with a cold engine, the glow delay could be quite a few seconds (the more modern the design, the faster the heating) and the engine may not start if you don't wait.

Robert

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts