Help with Renewing my Driving Licence

Aug 2, 2020
Visit site
Morning all,
I'm coming up to my 70th birthday so need to renew my licence which I've held since 1974. I've gotten form D2 (plus the D4 for my GP to complete) but am confused since the D2 refers to minibus plus lorry driving. All I want to do is to keep driving my car and towing my caravan (2018 Elddis Affinity 550, MTPLM 1363 Kg). My existing licence states that I can drive groups A and E only, its my original paper licence. Am I on the right track with D2 in order to retain what I think is that my licence allows me to tow my van?
Thanks for any -clear and simple- advice
Bryan

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Morning all,
I'm coming up to my 70th birthday so need to renew my licence which I've held since 1974. I've gotten form D2 (plus the D4 for my GP to complete) but am confused since the D2 refers to minibus plus lorry driving. All I want to do is to keep driving my car and towing my caravan (2018 Elddis Affinity 550, MTPLM 1363 Kg). My existing licence states that I can drive groups A and E only, its my original paper licence. Am I on the right track with D2 in order to retain what I think is that my licence allows me to tow my van?
Thanks for any -clear and simple- advice
Bryan

When I reached 70 I just filled out the DVLA form that was sent to me without the need to consult a doctor unless there were any medical conditions that impact the drivers ability. These were stated in the guidance notes. I then received the photo licence which allowed me to continue to tow the caravan in accordance with my pre 70 BE. The DVLA form arrived in October and the new licence shortly afterwards. Like you I had never had photo card licence. The 3500kg limit affects motorhomes more than caravans.

I understand that there are lengthy delays to processing things like licences and passports and HMG/DVLA have not given any "grace" period. Which considering HMG want folks to return to work seems like a bit of an own goal if two major service department aren't yet working again.

https://www.ageco.co.uk/viewpoint/health-and-lifestyle/guide-to-towing-a-caravan/

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
On modern licences, A=motorbikes, B=cars - are you sure you don't have A, B, E ?

If you don't want to drive large minibus's or lorries, don't bother with the D4 (which is chargeable) and just self-certify your health - that will allow you to retain BE which covers any car up to 3500 kg towing a trailer up to 3500 kg.

If you think you might switch to a motorhome in the future, some are over the 3500 kg limit and you'd need C1 - but that can be added back later simply by passing the D4 medical.

DVLA are now giving over-70 renewals the right to carry on driving while the application is processed because of delays - that's changed in the last few days.

Reactions: otherclive
Aug 2, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for the replies so far. I understand that DVLC send you a form (whatever the number) and that there are delays but was just trying to get ahead and, as Buckminster says, retain my BE entitlement

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
You can apply up to 3 months before your 70th birthday - given their delays due to Covid-19 you may not get the form from DVLA but you can order it from their website.

PTA

Mar 5, 2020
Visit site
I was in your position and didn't need C1. You can simply renew.
I decided, however, to have the medical for a C1 anyway...just in case.
If you have no health issues it's very straightforward. It cost me £50 by going to a dedicated medical group (sorry, can't remember their name) rather than my GP -which would have cost significantly more.
( Posted as a matter of interest rather than advice).

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
This topic has help me i am few years of my 70th Birthday so all the answers you have given to help (Bryan S) i have made a note .in my diary ..
Thanks everyone on this subject

TRENDING THREADS