Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
omega - mark Replies: 0

Need to buy a cheap towcar for my Bailey Pageant, have been kindly informed an omega diesel could be good. Any body got any info on them please.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I had tw litre 16 valve Omega petrol model - great solo car but spent more time on Green Flag whilst towing. Overheated continuously. I was told that these engines are very poor and should be avoided for towing purposes. Don't know what the desiel engine is like but was advised to go for a BMW sourced Omega desiel. Mind you I saved petrol, Severn crossing toll and saw more of the countryside from the breakdown wagon. Good luck with your choice of tow car.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
All Omegas are heavy powerful cras which are good for towing. The weakness with the petrol engines is the plastic cam-belt rollers which must be replaced when the cam belt is done, otherwise it can result in one VERY dead engine. There are a few stories of head gasket failures on the V6 models which can be expensive. Regarding the diesel engines, the 2.5 ex-BMW engine was good, BUT BMW stopped supplying them to Vauxhall because of the number of warranty claims over big-end failure (Vauxhall had modified the oil filtration system to suit the Omega). In a panic they dropped in the Vauxhall 2.0 TD engine from the Vectra, but with only 99bhp, it is underpowered. The newer 2.2TD is a better engine, but no-where near as good as the TDCi engines fitted to the new Mondeo's. Also, only the BMW diesel was available with an automatic gearbox, the Vauxhall units were manuals only.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts