hi all new to the forum after some advise please

Apr 6, 2017
Visit site
195/70R/14 95H TRIANGLE TR 928 NEW TYRE Specification: 195/70R14)

I bought a bailey ranger 6 berth i have receipts for work done on it
he had 2 brand new tyres fitted about 2 plus years ago the date code of these tyres are 2012 which makes them 5 years old ,would this make any difference as they was brand new when fitted technically they should be ok till 2019 the date code should only a reference as long as i got a the receipt it should be OK in the eyes of an insurance company to carry on using these tyres they are still like brand new and probable get a anther 2 years out of them

the tyre pressures on the bailey are 39 psi but they always look flat can you put more pressure in them or should i stick to the manufacture guide lines .
any advise thanks :(

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi, welcome to the forum.
I'm not an expert on tyres but the recommendation commonly quoted is that caravan tyres should be replaced at seven years maximum from the date of manufacture regardless of tread wear (or lack of wear).
This is because tyre structure deteriorates due to exposure after this time.
Most caravan tyres have very little tread wear, so look carefully for tiny cracks between the tread patterns and on the sidewalls, particularly the outer circumference where the tread meets the sidewall.
Check the wording on your caravan insurance policy, it's doubtful if there will be a specific clause requiring set tyre replacement intervals, but if you have any doubts why not pop along to the nearest tyre fitting bay where the experts would be happy to examine your tyres and offer the best advice.
It's best to stick to the manufacturers specified tyre pressures, don't overload your caravan and keep heavier items such as the awning over the axle on the caravan floor when towing.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
p.s.
Forgot to add, if you do have any doubts it's relatively inexpensive to replace two caravan tyres compared to the costs that could potentially arise from a catastrophic motorway tyre blow out ;)

Apr 6, 2017
Visit site
even thou the dates are on 2012 the tyres was not fitted till 2014 so its makes then 3 year old ithey was brand new when fitted i assume they should be ok .

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Welcome to the Forum.
Pearls of wisdom from Parksy.
The only date that matters is that on the tyre not the invoice.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I would follow Parksy's advice. The tyres on our last caravan started to crack after six years and would have been risky to use.
As for the pressure I would follow Bailey's figure although it is a little lower than I have used but the weight on the tyre is the determining factor.

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
These could simply be older stock not fitted till 2014, and if they have been stored correctly should be ok. An old unused tyre stored properly can be in a better state than a newer one standing in the sun.

Having said that, these are budget tyres with a poor fuel efficiency rating and mediocre wet weather grip. Replacement would be prudent, with the tyre valves changed and wheels balanced at the same time. Peace of mind.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts