Hi, I'm Andrew. Picking up my first 'van July 1st!

Jun 30, 2021
Visit site
Hello all. So we've taken the plunge in to the touring 'van fraternity... i've had the towbar fitted and will be collecting the 'van July 1st... what have i let ourselves into? I'm looking for somewhere to take the 'van perhaps to just practice. I'm based West Midlands so any corner of the UK is pretty much accessible. Needs to be wife and child friendly! (will be taking two of the six kids and the wife!)... and any tips for towing, setting up and accessories i might need are welcomed. Thanks in advance. Andrew.

Reactions: Bard Rooney
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Welcome to the forum, what caravan and towcar do you have?

The two clubs have lots of help sheets on their websites and can be accessed by non members.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
You will certainly need fresh/waste water containers, battery and gas and a number plate to match the vehicle. Towing mirrors are mandatory to provide a rear view beyond the rear of the van. Also handy to have some levelling ramps. Much of daily needs can be borrowed from the house although we keep a set of crockery (melamine) and cutlery not forgetting sharp knives can opener and corkscrew! People will have their own preferences for sleeping kit and much might depend on the layout of the van, but sleeping bags are easy to store and set up for the children, we use 2 king size bags zipped to a double for ourselves, but friends take the duvet and pillows off the bed at home! The most important thing to take is a sense of adventure, fun and humour!

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi welcome to Caravanning and to the forum. It is a good plan to find a site not too far from home for the first trip. Kingsbury Water Park, for instance. It is a Camping and Caravan Club site. Not been myself but others have said it is good. This is just an example; a bit of Googling will find you lots of others.
Whatever stuff you decide to take with you, don’t buy most of it at Caravan Accessory shops. Wilko, B & M, and places like that will have all the plastic plates and cutlery you need for a fraction of the cost.
mel

Reactions: GeorgeandAde
May 2, 2020
Visit site
Hi Andrew
Welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy your adventures. Hope all goes well tomorrow, any questions just ask, we are all here to help.
Gra

Oct 12, 2016
Visit site
Keep your first trip local. That way not so far to come back for the stuff you've forgotten. Also you'll know the locale for anything you need to buy.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I expect the OP will be too busy as well as too excited to get back to reply to any of our good wishes etc but it will be nice to hear how it’s all gone once the excitement calms down, fingers crossed there aren’t any hiccups to spoil the day.

BP

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts