Hi, Newbie advice for North Staffordshire.

Oct 6, 2020
Visit site
Hi all,
We have just paid a deposit on a twin axle Swift caravan and will get it next week.
We live in North Staffs (Dilhorne) does anyone have any suggestions for a suitable site for a complete novice to go to over October half term ( 2 adults no dogs on this occasion).

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Sponner, welcome to the forum and congratulations on buying your caravan.
My advice would be to choose a site with ehu (electric hook up) which is not too far from home for a first outing.
If you forget something you can get back to collect it and you can get used to the caravan and how everything works.

Reactions: WayneS
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi Sponner welcome to the forum enjoy your twin axle caravan this site not to far The Firs caravan club site Belper ( electric hook up )

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I do agree a site reasonably near home will enable you to get used to towing. If you tell the site it is your first rip you may get more help although social distancing might be more of a problem than normal. Caravanners are generally very helpful so if you need help just ask and most people will be only too happy to do so.
If you are looking for help on hitching pitching and the like there are some very helpful videos on you tube.
There are lots of sites available from very basic to full facility with children's areas and lots more. If you can let people know what you are looking for you might get a few more suggestions.
Enjoy the caravan and let us know how you get on.

Oct 6, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.
We've been told to allow 2 hours for the handover so I'm expecting some advice on pitching etc.
As I'm off for a fortnight we will go straight out and was looking for suggestions for suitable sites that are straight forward for a novice.
I'll look at the firs.

Reactions: JezzerB
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Have you joined the Caravan and Motorhome Club? They have a very good site at Buxton. I assume you are not looking for fully serviced pitches, rather decent sized ones with 16 ampEHU and good facilities?

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.
We've been told to allow 2 hours for the handover so I'm expecting some advice on pitching etc.
As I'm off for a fortnight we will go straight out and was looking for suggestions for suitable sites that are straight forward for a novice.
I'll look at the firs.
Hi Sponner you can get a serviced pitch (electric and hardstanding)

Oct 6, 2020
Visit site
Have you joined the Caravan and Motorhome Club? They have a very good site at Buxton. I assume you are not looking for fully serviced pitches, rather decent sized ones with 16 ampEHU and good facilities?
I haven't joined any club yet, seems there are a few to choose from and I haven't really got my head around the differences.
I think I get why a 16amp why is a good idea, hardstand speaks for itself but don't know what fully serviced means.
Again thanks for the advice, I'll check out the Buxton one.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Fully serviced allows you to provide water direct to the van either into aquaroll or via hose straight into van with pressure valve. Grey water from sink or showers is drained via hose to a drain. You would need to supply call the kit to connect water or drainage. I would advice just doing it using aquaroll which you fill up and taking your waste water to the disposal point. It keeps life a bit simpler while you are learning the caravan life. On site you may see vans on fully serviced pitches. Ask the occupants what it’s all about. I’m sure they will be happy to explain.

Oct 22, 2019
Visit site
Hi, welcome - have a look at Sunnyoak near Whitchurch and The Willows at Nantwich, neither too far from you and are good sites - been to both.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
At present we are on a fully service hardstanding pitch with our Aquaroll we have a Aquaroll mains water adaptor and you get your own tap and drain and we find it easier .to set up

Attachments

• ar52.jpg
    ar52.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 1
Oct 6, 2020
Visit site
Thanks again for the advice, first time towing was fine.
Hale's Hall caravan site near us were brilliant when they realised we were first timers (it was worth going there for the breakfast alone).
All in all I think we'll enjoy this caravaning thing.

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Sponner.
Take a pen and notepad with you to the handover.
It may help to jot things down whilst he's explaining where everything is and how it works.
I know there will probably be a handbook with the caravan,but I found a few notes jotted down helped me when I collected mine👍
Hope you enjoy your van.

Oops🤭 maybe a bit late now.
Have fun anyway.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Thanks again for the advice, first time towing was fine.
Hale's Hall caravan site near us were brilliant when they realised we were first timers (it was worth going there for the breakfast alone).
All in all I think we'll enjoy this caravaning thing.
Hi Sponner I am please the first time towing went great and you had a lovely time at Hales hall caravan site .and i hope you have more hols ...

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi Kevin M
Low season £28 per night for (Couples)
" " £36 per night for (Family )
And through out the season it keeps going up per night .
it might be a nice site but a little expensive

Oct 21, 2020
Visit site
Hi Kevin M
Low season £28 per night for (Couples)
" " £36 per night for (Family )
And through out the season it keeps going up per night .
it might be a nice site but a little expensive

Not sure what your point is Beachball?
Where did the OP ask for a cheap site?
You may think it’s expensive but I personally don’t.
It’s a fantastic site with great facilities and well worth trying.

Kev

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site

Kev
How can you not think it's expensive?

Oct 21, 2020
Visit site
Roger

For the facilities on offer I find it OK, we use lots of sites, some cheaper and some about the same, you get what you pay for and we love that particular site.
I think someone said in another thread that caravanning is no longer a cheap hobby.

Kev

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Roger

For the facilities on offer I find it OK, we use lots of sites, some cheaper and some about the same, you get what you pay for and we love that particular site.
I think someone said in another thread that caravanning is no longer a cheap hobby.

Kev
Whether they're worth the money is a separate thing to whether they're expensive - at £36/night for a family out of season that's definitely expensive

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Whether they're worth the money is a separate thing to whether they're expensive - at £36/night for a family out of season that's definitely expensive
Where we are going for this next week there are CL pitches at £38pn and all were fully booked for half term. Each pitch has privacy hedges and is fully serviced. We are on the main site with service and cheaper. All pitches have use of all site facilities. It’s somewhat more than we would normally pay but it’s a very nice site and in an area we like. We had to arrange the break to align with our daughters leave and granddaughter’s half term. But at least it gives us a welcome break away.

Reactions: JezzerB
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site

Kev
Hi Kev
I started off with the
Low Season
Couples per night £28
Family per night £36

Mid Season
Couples per night £ 38
Family per night £46

High Season
Couples per night £58
Family per night £66

if you don"t think this is expensive that your choice but i would not pay that price in the Mid / High season per night
I just wanting to advise the OP what the prices are through out the season ,that was my point

Reactions: CHESHIRECAT

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts