Hi there, new caravanners need some basic info

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Hi there, im Tom im 25 and from Glastonbury,
basically I have just bought a caravan iirc its a "caribou challenger" thats all i know so far, oh and its a 2 berth, I got it from an old chap who wants his driveway back so got it for a bargain £75, it has one damp patch below the window which i will sort....

where do i go next, what do i need to buy and check

thanks tom

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
http://www.mobilecaravanengineers.co.uk/mcea-find-an-engineer.htm
The best thing to do is get it serviced for th efirst time by a mobile engineer,,see link abov.
The most important parts which need informed inspection are:
Gas System and appliances.
Electrical System and appliances
Brakes, Tyres, Hitch and Chassis.
Full Damp Check

Once you have the service done, you will know what needs doing and how good or bad the van is.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Tom
I think that you may have bought a Bailey Caribou, probably manufactured in the 1980s. Being a 2 berth I shouldn't thik that it's too heavy but first of all you need to find out if your car is capable of towing this caravan legally and safely. There should be a plate on the caravan either on the A frame or near to the door with the weight of the caravan stamped on. The caravan weight in your case because you passed your driving test after 01/01/1997 must not exceed the unladen weight of your towing vehicle and the combination of the car and caravan must not exceed 3.5 tonnes maximum authorised mass.
There is more information about weights and licence requirements Here
Before towing you will need to check the caravan tyres, brakes, hitch, lights to ensure that the outfit will be safe to tow.
Check what is in the caravan, any electric hook up lead, water pump, leisure battery, lpg bottles, step? Is 240v power installed in the caravan, not all caravans from the 1980s had mains electricity.
The thing to do is to get the caravan home, have a look and report back. Good luck
smiley-laughing.gif

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
it weighs 650 kg, i have a peugeot 806 1900 td it tows a very heavy fully laden 8x6 trailer with ease so the weight will not be an issue, it has like an electric heater, lights with normal bayonet bulbs and has the point on the side to plug the power cable in so i guess it would be 240v, i am picking it up tomorrow and am hoping i by removing a couple fence panels i will get it in my back garden so i can do some work to it...... luckily i am actually a qualified mechanic so am technically minded so can do most of the stuff myself, except the gas lol.
this is the van i have (pic from internet)
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a103/mozzy456/caravan.jpg

i have not got it home to look over it properly just yet but for £75 i dont mind spending a bit on it if i have to, its only me the wife and our 2 year old daughter so this should be big enough for us

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts