Oct 12, 2021
Visit site
New to caravan life. Bought a 1994 Abi Marauder Gold last year and spent lockdown doing it up. Nothing major - just cosmetics, LED lights, shower room etc. Now looking to take off to France for a late holiday.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
New to caravan life. Bought a 1994 Abi Marauder Gold last year and spent lockdown doing it up. Nothing major - just cosmetics, LED lights, shower room etc. Now looking to take off to France for a late holiday.
Welcome to the Firum, enjoy your trip to France. Be interested to hear how it all goes

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Welcome to Caravanning and to the forum. Well done on your project. It is great when older vans get a new lease of life. Keep posting.
mel

Oct 12, 2021
Visit site
Thanks for the welcome.

I'll be looking for advise on the current situation at the ports. Never driven to France before, let alone with a caravan in tow .. yikes. Is there a section just for this topic?

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Mark & Lyn, congratulations on sorting out the ABI Marauder and welcome to the forum.
Questions about travel to the continent and the issues that crop up are usually posted in the Overseas Parks and Touring message board, but don't worry because I can easily move any posts that go astray.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
As Parksy says best to open a new thread. But in anticipation here’s a few tips:

Buy a copy of the Caravan and Motorhome Club touring guide for France. It contains masses of info on legal requirements, technical aspects, and listings of sites all over France

Have a good recovery and breakdown service for the outfit. I’ve always used CMHC Red Pennant. Came up trumps when required. .

If using autoroutes extensively buy on of the auto tags that sit in the windscreen and use the dedicated toll. Each transaction is then debited from your account

France doesn’t have the extended touring season we do. Many sites close down by end of September or earlier. Plan your stay overs.

Different speed limits depending on Gross Train Weight of outfit and weather conditions

Be aware that since 1 Jan 2021 certain foodstuffs and plants etc are banned from entering the EU. You’ve heard the media stories.

Theres so much more but the most tricky thing we found in the 1960s even driving solo was that in towns Road signs can be mounted anywhere and not in the obvious spots. Learn to trust “ Toutes directions” and “autre directions”

Happy touring

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to the forum you two, as Clive states, France almost closes to the caravan world from September, I found using this site, to find winter sites open. https://www.acsi.eu/en/
When you post about it I will tell you more. Good luck though.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just to add a couple of things, take an extra hook up lead, some sites can have electric posts a long way from your pitch, also a polarity checker, simple plug in one will do, lights up to check polarity. we also take a lump of cash, just in case card machines are out of action, and France closes on Sundays in many areas, although the coastal areas often have shops etc open until lunctime, still closes for lunch in many areas during the week

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts