Hiring a motorhome?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Looking for a 2 or more berth motorhome with onboard toilet that is not going to cost an arm and a leg to hire. It is wanted for doing several or more over night stops. Asking for a friend who has limited funds.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Looking for a 2 or more berth motorhome with onboard toilet that is not going to cost an arm and a leg to hire. It is wanted for doing several or more over night stops. Asking for a friend who has limited funds.
Friends of ours hired one from down Taunton way. It was a four berth Autotrail. They enjoyed it so much that they immediately went out and bought themselves a Autotrail 2 berth. Swift do motorhomes for hire.

https://www.tauntonmotorhomehire.co.uk/

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Friends of ours hired one from down Taunton way. It was a four berth Autotrail. They enjoyed it so much that they immediately went out and bought themselves a Autotrail 2 berth. Swift do motorhomes for hire.

https://www.tauntonmotorhomehire.co.uk/
Thanks I will look at that. They were totally confused when using Google and asked me to check, but all I got as very expensive rentals and page with few filters.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks I will look at that. They were totally confused when using Google and asked me to check, but all I got as very expensive rentals and page with few filters.
Rentals are very expensive for motor homes. Taunton aren’t cheap. But on the strength of their enjoyment our friends went out and bought one. They thought they would look for a 2013-14 model within their budget. Eventually bought a 2009-10 model at £36k and similar to caravans it is now back in Reading at the dealers having snags sorted out. Ouch.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Rentals are very expensive for motor homes. Taunton aren’t cheap. But on the strength of their enjoyment our friends went out and bought one. They thought they would look for a 2013-14 model within their budget. Eventually bought a 2009-10 model at £36k and similar to caravans it is now back in Reading at the dealers having snags sorted out. Ouch.
Our friends will only be visiting the UK for a couple of weeks when they are eventually allowed in . Covid scuppered their visit last year and probably this year.
They wanted to hire one initially for the duration of their stay till they saw the prices. Apparently it was a lot cheaper hiring a motorhome in the US.
I think they would be better off hiring a car and then using AirBnB for accommodation along their proposed routes.

Mar 1, 2020
Visit site
I don't know if it's the same here but in 2018 we did a long road trip in the USA, Wyoming, Dakota. Montana Colorado etc and had intended to hire a RV. Two separate rental firms told me that I should rent a car and stay in hotels. The RV's were favourable price wise if travelling shorter distances but the extra mileage charges were very high.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
If it is prohibitively expensive, why not see if you could pick up an old one of Ebay etc, and sell it on afterwards.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If it is prohibitively expensive, why not see if you could pick up an old one of Ebay etc, and sell it on afterwards.
I don't think their travel allowance would extend that far. Also at the moment currency exchange rate is very poor. IMHO if they bought or even hired the motorhome they may not have any money left to enjoy themselves. :ROFLMAO:

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Point taken lol. May I suggest then a thrity quid popup tent from Go Outdoors. ;)

Or hows about this for a suggestion, let them borrow your car and caravan. (Thingy looks quickly for his tin hat).

• Haha
Reactions: Buckman
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Point taken lol. May I suggest then a thrity quid popup tent from Go Outdoors. ;)

Or hows about this for a suggestion, let them borrow your car and caravan. (Thingy looks quickly for his tin hat).
Many years ago we lent our second car and caravan to brother who was visiting from South Africa. They wanted to go to London to see some friends so used the car. They then went to see other friends and instead of being away for 3 days were gone a week plus high mileage on car. I had recently been made redundant due to company going into administration and did not really want a service on the car too soon.
Damage to caravan was they had opened the locker door under the front bunk and some one must have stood on it so it broke away from the hinge. They then pulled out the drawer above the fire and hung wet clothes on it. The drawer warped and replacement was over £200!
Never again will we lend out the caravan! Our current second car is 25 years old so no issue as it only does about 150 miles a month currently.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
TBH, Im surprised you lent your caravan even once. Nobody, but nobody gets near ours. even our own children dont get an invite. :)

Reactions: Hutch
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Many years ago we lent our second car and caravan to brother who was visiting from South Africa. They wanted to go to London to see some friends so used the car. They then went to see other friends and instead of being away for 3 days were gone a week plus high mileage on car. I had recently been made redundant due to company going into administration and did not really want a service on the car too soon.
Damage to caravan was they had opened the locker door under the front bunk and some one must have stood on it so it broke away from the hinge. They then pulled out the drawer above the fire and hung wet clothes on it. The drawer warped and replacement was over £200!
Never again will we lend out the caravan! Our current second car is 25 years old so no issue as it only does about 150 miles a month currently.
We don"t lend our caravan out it might be old but we love our hols in it

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
TBH, Im surprised you lent your caravan even once. Nobody, but nobody gets near ours. even our own children dont get an invite. :)
Throught that as it was my brother and his family etc it will be safe as they were not towing it. Big mistake never to be repeated. Next time they can stay in our home and we will stay in the caravan. LOL!

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Motorhomes are very expensive items and I am afraid cheap rentals are just not there.

No one else tows our caravan but we have let daughter use it once on site. Only damage was when we took our grandson with us and he stuck his finger through door flyscreen.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts