Hitchlocks and wheel locks

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
I once again call on your vast cauldron of caravanning expertise and experience as I am but a novice to the world of touring (except under canvass). I will be picking up my new Adria in two weeks (exciting stuff), it doesn’t have alloy wheels) but as I assume most new caravans these days do, it has al-ko stabilised hitch. I would like to obviously be able to lock the hitch (as I think My insurance folk will once I have sorted that out) and think that a wise precaution would be to slap a lock onto at least one of the wheels… please help as I haven’t got a clue and the amount of kit on the market is just mind boggling.
I Thank-you all for you perseverance in advance.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
If it is an Al-Ko chassis you can fit (or have fitted) an interface that will allow you to attach an Al-Ko wheel lock through the wheel and bolt it to the chassis. To check if your car has one, look through the wheel for a threaded socket - possibly closed with a screw-in yellow plug - attached to the chassis probably to the rear of the axle. If it has one then go dig around the Al-Ko web site to find the right interface. They are not cheap but they do work. The only catch is that aligning the screw hole can be a pain if your 'van does not have a motor mover.

Other than that get an insurance rated wheel clamp.

As for the hitch, just Google Al-Ko hitch lock and you can buy the specific unit.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
The OP stated that his van does not have alloy wheels, so I don't think he can use an Al-ko wheel lock (no recess between spokes for the main part and no hole for the bolt to go through). :(

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
WoodlandsCamper said:
The OP stated that his van does not have alloy wheels, so I don't think he can use an Al-ko wheel lock (no recess between spokes for the main part and no hole for the bolt to go through). :(

Point taken, but you never know what might actually arrive!

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
There are a number of wheel locks about. Sold secure appears to be well rated. There are also hitch locks that fit an alko stabilised hitch head. You can also get locks that fit through the corner steadies so that they cannot be wound up. A perusal of your local caravan accessory store will show you the range and then a trawl of the internet will help you find the best price.
Mel

Sep 1, 2015
Visit site
:) Hi
Milenco do a lightweight hitchlock and lightweight wheelclamp, both very affordable. I have the wheelclamp and it is very easy to fit.

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
I must be one of the few caravan owners who doesn't possess a wheel clamp ( or two , as I have a twin axle 'van). That is one of the main reasons why I'm insured with the CC. I do however have a hitch lock.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
chrisbee1 said:
I must be one of the few caravan owners who doesn't possess a wheel clamp ( or two , as I have a twin axle 'van). That is one of the main reasons why I'm insured with the CC. I do however have a hitch lock.

I noticed the last 2 times I've insured with the CC that they no longer give discount for a hitch lock, even though I do use an Al-Ko one, because a van can still be easily towed away with a hitch lock fitted. I don't get discount either for the fitted alarm system because I declared to them that I do not power it during storage. I do however get discount for the Al-Ko wheel lock which I use. Have you told the CC that you don't use the wheel lock?

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I would not use a hitchlock unless the insurer requires it as they are not secure. Thieves often have a frame that fits over the hitch and allows them to tow it away without disturbing the lock. Some even do this with chains so except to lock the caravan to the car at services or other stops they cannot be relied on.
A good wheel clamp is far better although nothing is thief proof. Personally I like the Nemisis which I feel is the best I have seen and will fit most sizes of wheel which others do not. This means if you change the caravan and the new one has different size wheels you can still use the clamp.
Bulldog and Milenco are also very good but tend to be more difficult to fit to me. Always go for Sold Secure Gold to get the best.
Many insurances require the wheel clamp to be fitted whenever you leave the caravan unattended even for a few minutes so be aware of the exact terms.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I use a security chain rather than a wheel clamp. You can get Sold Secure chains from several makers. They are generally no more difficult to fit than a clamp and much easier to store and carry, fitting into a neat small plastic case. CC insurance seem happy with the chain (plus hitchlock and alarm).

You will see TV clips of big bolt cutters getting through the chains but then you will see clips of battery powered angle grinders getting through clamps too.

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
I must ask because I am too lazy to look it up properly (and I am at work with the boss watching me :whistle: ); the solid secure thing, am I correct in thinking that this is it a certification standard rather than a brand name; my preliminary investigations seem to suggest that it is and that caravan insurers accept this as a reasonable deterrent to would be criminals and may offer discounts for folk who use these products.

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
WoodlandsCamper said:
chrisbee1 said:

I noticed the last 2 times I've insured with the CC that they no longer give discount for a hitch lock, even though I do use an Al-Ko one, because a van can still be easily towed away with a hitch lock fitted. I don't get discount either for the fitted alarm system because I declared to them that I do not power it during storage. I do however get discount for the Al-Ko wheel lock which I use. Have you told the CC that you don't use the wheel lock?

Strange as I'm sure I get 10% discount for the hitch lock and with further discounts for secure storage and alarm. If someone's going to nick my 'van then apart from sleeping in it with a shotgun there's nothing I can do to stop them. A wheel clamp may slow them down by a couple of minutes at the most.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts