Hob ring not lighting

Jan 10, 2023
Visit site
Hi

I have a slight problem with my gas hob. 2 of the 3 rings won't light using the spark switch. There is gas flowing and I can see the ignition sparking but they won't ignite the gas. I've cleaned everything and I can light the rings with the spark from a lighter.
I can't think of any reason why they won't light using the ignition button

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Is the gas jet pointing at the spark? Is the spark big enough - i.e. does it run off a power supply or is there a battery hidden in there somewhere that needs replacing?

Jan 10, 2023
Visit site
The gas jet points directly up then the gas is dispersed. The spark is on the side and runs from the power supply. It's clearly sparking and gas is flowing.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
That doesn't make sense. If gas is coming out of the jet why can a flame light it but a spark cannot? Have you tried getting it to ignite with the gas barely on?

May 7, 2012
Visit site
It might be worth trying to light the gas in the old fashioned way with a match and see if it will light. This will determine if the problem is the rings or the ignition.

Jan 10, 2023
Visit site
Yes, I know. Makes absolutely no sense at all. That's why I'm here looking for advice. I've tried lighting with the gas full on and on low because I did consider that.

As I've said previous , I can use the ring by lighting with a lighter.
I thought there may be some sort of earth problem??

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
......light the rings with a flame and run for a few minutes on low.
Turn off and then try lighting with the spark ignition.
If that cures your problem then there was damp on the rings or spark electrode.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
It will be nothing to do with earthing. The igniter is 12V and runs off the caravan battery. The negative may or may not be chassis bonded.

Jan 10, 2023
Visit site
......light the rings with a flame and run for a few minutes on low.

Turn off and then try lighting with the spark ignition.

If that cures your problem then there was damp on the rings or spark electrode.

[/I have run the rings all summer using a lighter to ignite the gaThs so damp won't be the issue. Thank you anyway

QUOTE]

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Gas cooker hobs are notorious for getting substances spilt over them, which can then cause difficulties with starting flame, or keeping a flame burning correctly. The first thing you should do is to follow the appliances cleaning instructions in the handbook. If this does not work then because of the safety implications of gas burning appliances especially those with open flames like gas hobs, you should only attempt to dismantle any fixed items if you are competent to do so.

If proper cleaning does not resolve the problem then you should seek help from a qualified fitter.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts