Home Bailey tracker

Aug 23, 2021
Visit site
We have just had, in the last few days, our2016 Bailey Vigo caravan stolen from our own property! It is registered on the CRIS data base. In the course of all that you have to do, paper work, police etc we have discovered that Bailey fit their tracker devices in the same place in each caravan! Our tracker was found shoved in the hedge next to where our caravan had been! Alko wheel lock, hitch lock all on. Steadies were not down. We think it was taken in the early hours of the morning. Our property is in a fairly secluded cul de sac but nobody including us heard or saw anything! We do have a movement light which lights up the drive next to where the caravan was stored. We're getting another caravan in a few weeks time & we're going through the thought process of how to make the van more secure. Current thoughts are: secure automatic gate to the property, (costly!) a lockable post put in front of the caravan & extra security lighting & steadies down. With our next caravan we're debating whether in fact to have a tracker fitted at all as the purchase price + on-going payment/year seems not to be worth it. The retrieval rate doesn't seem that high given that Bailey insert the tracker in the same place in each caravan!!

We're both nearly 80 yrs old & have been caravanning for a long time! It's hit us very hard emotionally but we're determined not to let these awful low life dictate when/if we should cease our adventures! Any more advice re securing the caravan at our own property would be very welcome, thank you.

Maureen

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
You probably had a reactive tracker fitted which is as good as a wet paper bag. Although we had a Tracker as standard it was reactive so we had a Phantom proactive tracker fitted even before we took delivery as the Phantom Tracker is Proactive. Obviously this is not fitted where they would usually fit the tracker.
With the Phantom Tracker you can go Online to see your caravan at any time, monitor the battery level and also see the mileage done by the caravan.
If anyone interferes with caravan the call centre is notified immediately even if they remove the battery. The call centre then contact yourself to ask if it is you and if not they alert the police.
You can also monitor location of caravan, battery level and mileage done by caravan all Online.
Also consider storing the caravan at a CASSOA storage site which is more secure than many other storage site.

Aug 23, 2021
Visit site
Thank you. We didn't know that there were 2 sorts of trackers!! Ours was ripped out of the caravan that they stole & shoved into the hedge next to where the caravan was so it begs the question, are these trackers easy to find in the caravan? I know that Bailey fit their trackers during the build process in the same place & therefore easy to know for these low lives to find!!!

Reactions: Graham1955
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Thank you. We didn't know that there were 2 sorts of trackers!! Ours was ripped out of the caravan that they stole & shoved into the hedge next to where the caravan was so it begs the question, are these trackers easy to find in the caravan? I know that Bailey fit their trackers during the build process in the same place & therefore easy to know for these low lives to find!!!
A standard off the line caravan will probably have it fitted in the same place so thieves know where to look. With the Phantom Proactive if they try and access the caravan to remove the tracker the alarm will trigger and call centre notified. If they move the caravan even 1m the Tracker notifies the call centre.
As said also consider ALKO Secure wheel locks and Premium Hitchlock which will slow them down. If they try and use a grinder on the locks the noise of the grinder and sparks may alert others in the vicinity.

Aug 23, 2021
Visit site
A standard off the line caravan will probably have it fitted in the same place so thieves know where to look. With the Phantom Proactive if they try and access the caravan to remove the tracker the alarm will trigger and call centre notified. If they move the caravan even 1m the Tracker notifies the call centre.
As said also consider ALKO Secure wheel locks and Premium Hitchlock which will slow them down. If they try and use a grinder on the locks the noise of the grinder and sparks may alert others in the vicinity.
Thank you. We did have the ALKO secure wheel lock on (only on 1 wheel) & an ordinary hitch lock not the premium one.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
We have just had, in the last few days, our2016 Bailey Vigo caravan stolen from our own property! It is registered on the CRIS data base. In the course of all that you have to do, paper work, police etc we have discovered that Bailey fit their tracker devices in the same place in each caravan! Our tracker was found shoved in the hedge next to where our caravan had been! Alko wheel lock, hitch lock all on. Steadies were not down. We think it was taken in the early hours of the morning. Our property is in a fairly secluded cul de sac but nobody including us heard or saw anything! We do have a movement light which lights up the drive next to where the caravan was stored. We're getting another caravan in a few weeks time & we're going through the thought process of how to make the van more secure. Current thoughts are: secure automatic gate to the property, (costly!) a lockable post put in front of the caravan & extra security lighting & steadies down. With our next caravan we're debating whether in fact to have a tracker fitted at all as the purchase price + on-going payment/year seems not to be worth it. The retrieval rate doesn't seem that high given that Bailey insert the tracker in the same place in each caravan!!

We're both nearly 80 yrs old & have been caravanning for a long time! It's hit us very hard emotionally but we're determined not to let these awful low life dictate when/if we should cease our adventures! Any more advice re securing the caravan at our own property would be very welcome, thank you.

Maureen

So sorry to here this Maureen. Must be emotional and invasive. Love to know how they can cut the wheel wheel lock off without disturbing anyone. Sounds like your fully insured. Try to look upon it as an exciting new start and opportunity. Does no good to dwell on things. (Easy for me to say)!

My Phantom Tracker fitted as new to my van is proactive. I think the one fitted to my old 2011 Bailey was also but without an app. Both were fitted in a standard place. The Bailey had a motor bike sized battery with it. Anyone can find where a manufacturer fit them with a quick Google.

Phantom and some other quality providers will provide proactive trackers for a fitting fee plus subscription. I no longer subscribe to mine as at 6 years old I don’t see a benefit to me, just to the insurance company.

I your case, I would go for a quality security post. You can only do so much then it’s relying on the insurance. I don’t think it would have made any difference if the legs were down.

John

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I think you may have been given the wrong impression about the abilities of trackers.
Previous statements claiming certain models of trackers are "Proactive" are entirely misleading.

The word "proactive" means to create or control a situation rather than just responding to it after it has happened.

As far as I can see there is no way for a tracker or alarm system to take any action before one of its sensors has been triggered that would prevent the caravan being stolen.

In that respect ALL trackers and alarm systems are reactive.

A notice on a caravan simply telling any potential thief the caravan is armed with detection, transmission or recording systems is about as proactive as you can get.

But perhaps if systems were able to detect the approach of somebody, and verbally warn them they have been detected, and if they approach any closer the full protection system will deploy, that might be considered proactive - but it still needs to be triggered.

Reactions: Hutch
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Wasn't there previously a discussion regarding the use of the term "reactive and proactive" on another thread. To us is our Phantom is Proactive and we are very happy to use the term that it is proactive and not reactive.
No crime is committed until an unauthorised person interferes with the unit so the unit is reactive until there is interference at which point it becomes proactive.
Insurance companies also prefer to use the term "Proactive" when referring to trackers like the Phamtom Tracker although it maybe an incorrect term to use?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I think you may have been given the wrong impression about the abilities of trackers.
Previous statements claiming certain models of trackers are "Proactive" are entirely misleading.

The word "proactive" means to create or control a situation rather than just responding to it after it has happened.

As far as I can see there is no way for a tracker or alarm system to take any action before one of its sensors has been triggered that would prevent the caravan being stolen.

In that respect ALL trackers and alarm systems are reactive.

A notice on a caravan simply telling any potential thief the caravan is armed with detection, transmission or recording systems is about as proactive as you can get.

But perhaps if systems were able to detect the approach of somebody, and verbally warn them they have been detected, and if they approach any closer the full protection system will deploy, that might be considered proactive - but it still needs to be triggered.
Reactive or proactive a proximity alerting system might be problematic on a storage site when your neighbours arrive either side to attend their caravans. Or the site staff go between the caravans to strim the grass.

Reactions: Buckman
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Reactive or proactive a proximity alerting system might be problematic on a storage site when your neighbours arrive either side to attend their caravans. Or the site staff go between the caravans to strim the grass.

Yes, I don’t think the prof was serious, just highlighting the literal meaning of the word.

But we now have the technology, if someone so wanted. To install a hidden CCTV camera, This could record and call the owner if it detects movement. The owner could then view the intruders and issue a warning over a PA.

It could be the future!

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Yes, I don’t think the prof was serious, just highlighting the literal meaning of the word.

But we now have the technology, if someone so wanted. To install a hidden CCTV camera, This could record and call the owner if it detects movement. The owner could then view the intruders and issue a warning over a PA.

It could be the future!

John
Might need a change to the data protection act though as announcing yourself via a PA might not be appreciated.

The Data Protection Act 1998 (DPA)and the CCTV Code of Practice (the Code) states that hidden CCTV must only be used if you suspect a specific crime such as theft is being committed, and as a result you plan to involve the police.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Might need a change to the data protection act though as announcing yourself via a PA might not be appreciated.

The Data Protection Act 1998 (DPA)and the CCTV Code of Practice (the Code) states that hidden CCTV must only be used if you suspect a specific crime such as theft is being committed, and as a result you plan to involve the police.
Announcing yourself using a PA system should not infringe the Data protection Act if you use it to tell them to go away. Good way to scare them off while you stay behind closed doors as not wise to approach any thief no matter even if you are 6' plus and built like the proverbial brick ...house .
No issue if the camera is only focused on your property and activated if an unauthorised person enters the property. That is what our neighbour was told when she set up CCTV on her property a few years ago

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Announcing yourself using a PA system should not infringe the Data protection Act if you use it to tell them to go away. Good way to scare them off while you stay behind closed doors as not wise to approach any thief no matter even if you are 6' plus and built like the proverbial brick ...house .
No issue if the camera is only focused on your property and activated if an unauthorised person enters the property. That is what our neighbour was told when she set up CCTV on her property a few years ago
How does the camera know who is authorised or not authorised to enter your property. Don’t you have to have a sign indicating CCTV surveillance on a property, hidden or not. But I guess with the proliferation of smart doorbells etc that’s now been made practically redundant.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Incorrect assumption.

I detest the misappropriation of technical terms where it is done to suggest a particular product has abilities over and above its competition. "Pro-active" Trackers, "Calibrated" compressed spring noseload gauges, bead "retaining" bands, "Digital"... (name your appliance), - - and the list goes on.

It's advertising jargon to fool the unwarey.

No caravan tracker or alarm system that is currently made can legitimately use the adjective "proactive" as part of their description they are ALL reactive.

A system that is reactive when triggered cannot become Proactive its an oxymoron. - it is always acting after the fact, not before it.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I would not want the caravan back, Mrs H, would be highly anoid to have anyone else in the van, uninvited. Even if the insurance value was below the estimated. Let the towrags have it.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I would not want the caravan back, Mrs H, would be highly anoid to have anyone else in the van, uninvited. Even if the insurance value was below the estimated. Let the towrags have it.
The idea of the proactive Phantom Tracker is that the thieves are stopped before they can remove or use the caravan as it notifies the call centre the moment anyone interferes with the caravan. With a bit of luck the thieves are also apprehended.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Actually I have to smile when people say that if their caravan were pinched they would not want it back. I have often wondered why as the same people have probably at some point in the past bought a second hand used caravan from either a dealer or privately where someone else has slept on the bed, used the toilet facilities etc.
If our caravan is stolen and recovered within hours due to the proactive tracker working a sit should, we would be happy to have it back. Less aggro and less hassle. Not sure whether we would want it back if it disappeared long term i.e. weeks, however by that time the insurance should have paid out anyway.

Reactions: otherclive
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It's a massive enticement to get people to buy a product when claims about quick recovery are dangled in front of them.

I have yet to see verified figures for the recovery time, and the recovery rate, cost of repairs needed after theft.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
It's a massive enticement to get people to buy a product when claims about quick recovery are dangled in front of them.

I have yet to see verified figures for the recovery time, and the recovery rate, cost of repairs needed after theft.
There have been enough reports in newspapers about quick recovery of stolen caravans to convince us that a tracker is the way to go.
However none of us can disprove the claims so I guess it is evens all around. Same with trailer accidents, reasons for the accident. We will probably never know.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
If you are insured new for old, why would you want it back. A used van has probably, hopefully been owned by somebody who would look after ti as well as yourselves, but a stolen caravan is much more likely to be abused.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If you are insured new for old, why would you want it back. A used van has probably, hopefully been owned by somebody who would look after ti as well as yourselves, but a stolen caravan is much more likely to be abused.
That is the idea of the proactive trackers as you are notified straight away and hopefully if police respond quick enough the culprits are apprehended. If not and the toerags do remove the caravan, they can be tracked and hopefully the caravan recovered quickly before it is abused.
Many years ago my ex-wife had her car stolen from right outside her work and in broad daylight. It was never recovered and sadly we only had third party cover which never covered theft.
My company car was stolen a few years later from a pub parking lot and was recovered lying on its side in a ditch however was still drivable. The thieves were obviously drunk as car was littered with empty spirit bottles and cigarette ends. Again only third party cover so no payout.
If either had been recovered we would have continued using them.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
That is the idea of the proactive trackers as you are notified straight away and hopefully if police respond quick enough the culprits are apprehended. If not and the toerags do remove the caravan, they can be tracked and hopefully the caravan recovered quickly before it is abused.
Many years ago my ex-wife had her car stolen from right outside her work and in broad daylight. It was never recovered and sadly we only had third party cover which never covered theft.
My company car was stolen a few years later from a pub parking lot and was recovered lying on its side in a ditch however was still drivable. The thieves were obviously drunk as car was littered with empty spirit bottles and *** ends. Again only third party cover so no payout.
If either had been recovered we would have continued using them.

The automated censor strikes again!

• Haha

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts