HOPEFULLY picking up first new to me caravan next weekend

Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
So flipping excited. Planning to do a few nights at a site near Weston-Super-Mare where the dealer is in case of any issues. I've got a big box of 'toys' which has been sat in the middle of my living room for the past few weeks, including wheel clamp, hitch lock, towing mirrors, chocks, nose weight gauge etc. Got a lot of other kit too including porch awning, dual voltage telly. Going to buy a starter kit off the dealer including EHU lead, aqua rolls and gray waste tank. I've got a Dometic Rally Pro Awning too. I more or less have all the kit apart from a caravan. :) I will try and go down the beach and explore the area on my test run, but I've got a feeling a lot of it will be spent at the site playing caravan. Can't wait!

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
You may have to buy a leisure battery and pay a deposit for a calor gas bottle if you haven't already got one Chris.
We bought our present caravan and also it's predecessor from Davan in Weston Super Mare.
Have a great shakedown trip!

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
So flipping excited. Planning to do a few nights at a site near Weston-Super-Mare where the dealer is in case of any issues. I've got a big box of 'toys' which has been sat in the middle of my living room for the past few weeks, including wheel clamp, hitch lock, towing mirrors, chocks, nose weight gauge etc. Got a lot of other kit too including porch awning, dual voltage telly. Going to buy a starter kit off the dealer including EHU lead, aqua rolls and gray waste tank. I've got a Dometic Rally Pro Awning too. I more or less have all the kit apart from a caravan. :) I will try and go down the beach and explore the area on my test run, but I've got a feeling a lot of it will be spent at the site playing caravan. Can't wait!

The caravan should be supplied with a (new) EHU cable.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Well done. Hopefully the dealer will do a decent handover and throuhgly explaing to you everything. We go to Brean regularly so are familiar with most sites down there. Have you one in mind at the moment. Also have you insured the caravan yet as do that before you even sign for the caravan.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Best of luck with the new toy, what is it?
You will need a water carrier and waste water tank unless you are on a serviced pitch and if so connections for that.
If you can video the handover, or at least the technical bits, as you will probably forget a lot of what was said.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
On our first Brand New Caravan, we found a switch by the side of the worktop, didn't find out for a couple of weeks that it operated a floor height light by the toilet door.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Good Luck Chris with your new toy take it steady when towing until you get use to it don"t forget toilet rinse ,have a nice time ,

Oct 18, 2021
Visit site
Our living room and Bedroom is also full of stuff ready for our new caravan which we are picking up on Friday from Highbridge. We’ve booked a seasonal pitch on Mill Farm in Bridgewater…excited is an understatement, I’ve been counting down the days for weeks 😂

Reactions: Hutch and Mel
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Take your time, double check and enjoy your new baby. Whilst away test everything. Unsure , try us guys and ladies on here.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Our living room and Bedroom is also full of stuff ready for our new caravan which we are picking up on Friday from Highbridge. We’ve booked a seasonal pitch on Mill Farm in Bridgewater…excited is an understatement, I’ve been counting down the days for weeks 😂
Highbridge are a decent dealership and will look after you. I am not familiar with Mill farm in Bridgewater, but you should enjoy it.

Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
Pick-up on Friday has been confirmed. I'm booked in for three nights at Hurn Lane CAMC site near Burnham-On-Sea. Fully serviced pitch. Got an Aquaroll mains adaptor as well as extra hose and gray water kit coming. I'm going to have a lot of different kit to play with, fun fun fun! Got lots to prepare / buy this week, crockery, pots, pans etc.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Highbridge caravan dealer are great and they should look after you, enjoy your seasonal pitch and plenty of holidays

May 10, 2020
Visit site
Just a suggestion, go to a tow bar fitter and get them to test your socket. I assume you have a 13 pin unit. Takes a couple of minutes and preempts any hang ups on collection day. Not all tow bar electrics are born equal especially when it comes to fridge power.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Pick-up on Friday has been confirmed. I'm booked in for three nights at Hurn Lane CAMC site near Burnham-On-Sea. Fully serviced pitch. Got an Aquaroll mains adaptor as well as extra hose and gray water kit coming. I'm going to have a lot of different kit to play with, fun fun fun! Got lots to prepare / buy this week, crockery, pots, pans etc.
Looking at the reviews i would take it nice and slow with your new caravan the access is down a narrow lane but have a great time when you get there

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We used that site recently. On the way there you need to go straight where there is a very sharp 90 degree left turn. When you turn off that road towards the club site be a bit careful as there is a bit of a hump on the T junction.
The fully serviced pitches are very nice, but make sure that you have the correct adaptor for the water connection to the tap. The CAMC use a weird size and neither of our adaptors fitted. The warden had to come and fit one for us that accepted one of our adaptors. Never come across this weird size tap on any other site.

Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
Just a suggestion, go to a tow bar fitter and get them to test your socket. I assume you have a 13 pin unit. Takes a couple of minutes and preempts any hang ups on collection day. Not all tow bar electrics are born equal especially when it comes to fridge power.

Car is in for MOT tomorrow, so won't they test the electrics then?

I've checked the fridge electrics with a multimeter.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Yes the towbar, and 13 pin electrics are tested, allegedly. 7 pin are just visual. Be aware not all test centres have the same test equipment as a professional tow bar fitter and thus as the caravan is not connected some spurious readings may arise

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Yes the MOT will check your 13 pin socket. But, I believe I am right with this, they will only check it with regards to the lighting. side, brake, reversing and fog.

John
As we have a detachable and the socket folds away up out of sight, apparently there is no need to check it for a MOT?

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
As we have a detachable and the socket folds away up out of sight, apparently there is no need to check it for a MOT?

Mine also is detachable and folds away, but they do check it, I would rather that they do. Once they checked it and it failed. We easily proved that it was actually fine. It turned out that some of the certified testing equipment did not always get it right. The MOT place had no choice but to fail my car even though they knew it was their equipment. To get around this I simply plugged in a 13 pin to 7 pin converter. When they retested they did not have to check it because it appeared to be 7 pin.

How daft is that? That was some years ago, I don't thing the equipment problem happens now.

John

Reactions: Bluetonic

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts