Household tv's v's 12volt TVs.

May 14, 2017
Visit site
Just wondering what you good folks do in regards of TVs in the caravan. We were looking today at flatscreens in the 22-24 inch range but have been told that standard TVs may trip the electrics on the caravan. We will be using ehu most of the time so I'm not sure the 12volt tv is necessary?

Apr 19, 2017
Visit site
kerbdog said:
but have been told that standard TVs may trip the electrics on the caravan.

Whoever told you that? (I can only assume they hoped to sell you an overpriced 'special caravan TV' )
If you are on EHU any standard mains TV will work precisely the same as it does at home.

If you DO want to use a TV off 12v when you do not have EHU, then some ordinary sets can be powered directly from 12v DC if they use an external 12v DC power supply. (there is debate about whether the 12v 'van supply is stable enough). Any TV can be powered from 12v via a pure-sine-wave inverter. All TVs use a fair bit of power though, so be careful not to take too much out of your battery when not on EHU.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Our Hitachi mains 21" is 40watts or if you prefer 0.174amps :)
It's actually lighter than the 12v one that came with the caravan.
Unless you go off grid regularly why pay loads for a 12v .

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Dustydog said:

That's a mite confusing Dusty,
I presume you are quoting the current of 0.174A @ 230V ac when used on 12Vdc that would be at least 3.3A :blink:

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
Dustydog said:

That's a mite confusing Dusty,
I presume you are quoting the current of 0.174A @ 230V ac when used on 12Vdc that would be at least 3.3A :blink:

think it might be time to *** down to specsavers Prof. :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:
Dusty's post clearly reads that his standard 240v tv [Hitachi 40w] is lighter in weight than the original caravan 12v one is. the power consumption at 12v is irrelevant as it cannot be used on 12v. it's a main only TV. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
SirRogerFFS said:
Just pop down to your local Tesco and buy a Technika they are ideal for caravans and good picture quality .
Sir Roger

Ah Sir Roger you ole goat....I beg to differ on this one, suppose its like a new caravan you get a good one or a bad one, I had a bad one, exchanged it for another bad one, then changed it for my money back!! The sound quality on both was terrible!! Went to Argos and got a Bush TV with Freeveiw and DVD player.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Gagakev said:
SirRogerFFS said:
Just pop down to your local Tesco and buy a Technika they are ideal for caravans and good picture quality .
Sir Roger

Ah Sir Roger you ole goat....I beg to differ on this one, suppose its like a new caravan you get a good one or a bad one, I had a bad one, exchanged it for another bad one, then changed it for my money back!! The sound quality on both was terrible!! Went to Argos and got a Bush TV with Freeveiw and DVD player.
Ah! You have the Jungle Drum Version :p

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
My understanding, which may be wrong is that 12v TV's work better and are not damaged by the voltage dropping below 12v. This won't happen on an EHU but if you're relying on the battery alone topping up with a solar panel in daylight hours it could become an issue. As far as makes and models each to their own and try before you buy.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We use a domestic Beko 20 inch tv which at home normally sits where the "ironing lady" can see it. Has Freeview, DVD and HDMI/aux various inputs and can even record onto USB stick if I was so minded, which I am not. Had it now for at least five years and it cost less than £100.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
PHOENIXFLIER said:
Not 100% sure about this, but I think dedicated "caravan" TV sets use a lot less power, so better "off grid"?.

The only way to save much power on a TV is most likely to be the size and the lumen output power. SO unless caravan TVs are low light out put they will be much the same as their normal domestic counterparts.

Feb 28, 2017
Visit site
I went and picked up a couple of 22inch LG TVs from Argos. HD free view A rated on power and it plays all the kids movies through a USB stick. (You can record to it as well) £120. So I don't need to worry about dvds etc. Really impressed actually. They weigh about 2.5kg each. Wall mount or stand. The size and weight are perfect for wall mount in the van. I would argue that the picture is better than my 52inch Samsung at home!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
CluelessNewbies said:
.... I would argue that the picture is better than my 52inch Samsung at home!

Hi.
That is quite a common comment I hear being made, but there is a good reason for it. Assuming both the large and small set are the same designated resolution, then the fact that they both show the same information, then the density of that information will be higher on the smaller screen.

Fortunately the small room dimensions of the caravan may actually mean your smale set appears to give a bigger picture than your home set :)

Feb 28, 2017
Visit site
Thats a very good point. That and the fact that my home set is plasma and the caravan set is LED! The sound also projects better in such a small enclosed space!

Im half tempted to start using the van as my home office!

Mar 7, 2015
Visit site
kerbdog said:
We were looking today at flatscreens in the 22-24 inch range but have been told that standard TVs may trip the electrics on the caravan

Just went thought the exact same dilemma ( although we are moving to a satellite system as soon as I pick one) and I just bought this
It is lighter than the 17 inch TV we previously had, has a smaller foot print and takes up less space on the TV shelf, has inbuilt DVD, can record direct to USB if using a digi aerial, and can play movies etc off of a USB.

The picture is excellent, and the sound is amazing for a "cheaper" TV

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We have never had a problem with the TV tripping the electrics although if on a 10 amp or less hook up you do need to watch what you use on electricity. We have a standard Hitachi bought from Tesco many years ago and it works perfectly for us.
I do still keep the box and packing though for transporting it and travel with it in the car to protect it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts