How do I know how much to pay for an older MH?

Feb 13, 2017
Visit site
Hi!

We are thinking of buying a 2007 "Arto 69 EGB" through a motorhome broker.

From what I can find - this was a special edition for the UK market (hence the GB!) featuring a rear lounge with the added benefit of 2 extra seatbelts at the back of the van! We love the layout and belts which is all going to work brilliantly for us and our three small kids. It is actually 4 berth but with 6 belts and being hardy campers we will make the bedding work!

We are newbies and have no idea what the van is worth. It is on at £37k but they are open to offers - which to my mind means that they know it is overpriced - but what would be a good price?
From what I can discover the new price for these in 2007 was somewhere around £53k varying slightly with spec.
Thanks so much for any help you can give!

Andy Bramhall
Newcastle upon Tyne

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi Andy. We've asked Practical Motorhome's expert Gentleman Jack and this was his response:

"I’m aware that many feel that ‘open to offers’ means that it is over-priced, though I’m not sure it does always mean that. Any windscreen price is usually an opening figure for negotiations. For some dealers this will include a portion of ‘value’ to add to a part exchange offer to make it more palatable. If you are not trading anything in against a dealer purchase, a reduction in price can usually be negotiated or accessories fitted at no extra charge. Although there is a Glass’s Guide for motorhomes, that’s all it is ... a guide! Achieved prices vary by at least 10% either side of the quoted ‘book-price’.

To answer your question directly: a good price will be anything that you and the seller find acceptable. To get an idea of what is a ‘fair’ or ‘reasonable’ price, put the make and model followed by ‘for sale’ into your internet search engine and see how much is being asked by other vendors of similar ’vans. These will vary for reasons I’ve given above, and between a dealer or a private seller, especially if the dealer is offering a meaningful warranty, part exchange facilities and so on.

Most – but not all – of sales by brokers without retail premises are really a private sale via an agent.

I surmise that what you really want to know is whether £37,000 is a ‘fair’ price. All I will say is that it is in the right ball park, but without seeing the vehicle it is impossible to give a specific figure.

Do not stretch your resources to such a degree that you haven’t any folding in reserve for the inevitable repairs and upgrade that any 10-year old vehicle might require over the next three or so years. On a new vehicle these will be covered under the manufacturer’s and converter’s warranties. Also bear in mind that you are buying an elderly diesel engine, currently out of favour with the HMG attempting to improve air quality.

Up to now I’ve always bought used motorcaravans or converted them myself, but I have only been able to buy ‘pre-owned’ because others buy ‘new’ and change every so many years!

Happy hunting and enjoy whatever you decide on. It’s a great way of life."

We hope that helps.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts