How far can I travel...?

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
Hi Folks this is my first post, so please go easy on me !!!
We are very much at the planing stage for our trip to France this year, last year we covered nearly 2,000 miles, myself, wife and two teenage girls...!! but we had a tent, this year we plan to buy our first caravan and would like to get an idea of the distance's we can expect to cover in a day, towing a van and keeping to the speed limits,I am a very experienced HGV class 1 driver (retired) and therefore have no problems covering the miles, as I said we are just trying to plan ahead, all tips/hints much appreciated

Many Thanks
Jimmythetug

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Your biggest limitation on driving hours is likely to be the 3 females with you!

You could use the Via Michelin website to route your plan, which can be set to towing speeds and the appropriate limits in the various countries.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
From my point of view it is a holiday not a route march so I prefer to keep the towed mileage down to no more than three hundred miles in a day at the most but it really depends on what you feel you can manage.

In France if your car has a legal gross combined weight of more than 3.5 tons then the speed limit on the motorways drops from 81 to 56 mph with similar restrictions on other roads so you will need to take this into account. This applies to the manufacturers gross figure and not the actual weight of the combination. For more information try http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/overseas-holidays/advice-and-information/compulsory-requirements/speed-limits

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Hi, Jimmy!, As a rough guide, I reckon to average 45mph, including meal/rest/comfort stops, not being in too much of a hurry we tend to do 250-300 miles at the most!

JimF

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
I agree with the others; you're on holiday, what's the rush? Particularly as you're retired!
We have special circumstances as my wife is somewhat disabled, so we make do with only around 150/180 miles (3 to 4 hours) per day, but we do go out for 10 or 12 weeks at a time. No stress, no hassle, just enjoy.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
In France it also depends on whether you are on the Peage/Motorway or the A or back roads. On the motorways you can set the cruise control to 60mph, therefore in 6 hours you will cover 360 miles or thereabouts, with stops. On the A road it depends if you are in an area taking you through towns on a regular basis, then I think 30/35 miles in an hour could be reasonable. If in country area's this can easily rise to 45 miles an hour. What is certain is that towing in France is generally much easier than in the UK, as the road are quieter, however you can hit some tight spots when passing through some small villages and towns.

I personally never use the Peage, and plan routes on the A and minor roads, they are more interesting and more relaxing, which if you are on holiday is the main point. I should add that being retired I am not up against a time scale, so if your holiday is for a limited time, then the Peage can get you where you want to be, in the shortest time possible, giving you the most time at your destination.

You could consider purchasing a Snooper Sat Nav from the Caravan Club, this gives you all the camp sites you will ever need in Europe including ACSI sites, and is set up specifically for caravans, so should ensure you do not go down any roads that are not suitable. Also look at joining ACSI if you are travelling in the off peak periods, this gives you a choice of over 2,800 sites in every country in Europe, at reduced pricing. The books alone are worth the 13 euro's.

I wish you all the best on your plans, we have made some great friends and acquaintances in the 5 years since we started.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It really depends on circumstances, where you want to go over how long a period.

In winter, when I just want to get down to the sun and the daylight is short I manage 350 - 420 miles a day using toll roads and being prepared for quick nightly set-ups and early morning departures. This without undue stress . Last year my wife did all the towing and maintained this schedule despite very limited towing experience.
However In early Autumn in France we have sometimes done as little as 50 miles between sites.

I can only suggest that you discuss ideas with your family and come to some sort of agreement, such that if you decide on a higher mileage day everyone understands that the breaks will be short and coordinated.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
When we left our site in France last year to head for calais , the sat nav read about 7 hours . We left just after 8am for a 7pm ferry thinking 11 hours easy , with a few breaks , with the tunnel shut at Rouén though , we made it within 3o minutes of gates shutting , that was some driving ! And a touch panicky !!

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
200 or less miles a day - non peage, is more like a holiday. Set off by 09:30 and pitch up before 16:30. If we are on the way home then we tend to get within 50 miles of the ferry the night before (just in case). The less stress the better:)

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Just been putting my post codes in for France , last year , we stopped 1/2 way over night , then continued onto site for 2 weeks , then done it in a one'a on way back , but this time doing it the opposite, stopping near dover for 1 night then euro shuttle at 6am then a 43o mile drive with a few stop offs off course ! A little towards 9 hours on the road ! But on way back doing disney Paris for 2 days so stopping on another site which breaks the journeys up, can't wait !!

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Per the comment about satnavs. Before you go make sure you delete (NOT just disable) all POI's for speed cameras and speed limits. They are illegal in France and can land you a hefty roadside fine.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sorry to say I have found Snooper pretty unreliable. Even though set to caravan mode directed me to 'pedestrian only' road last year using the latest map update.
Frequently suggest city centr routes when the obvious and best route when towing is to follow the Pois Lourdes / HGV routes. Not impressed.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts