How Much of a Blow Can a Caravan Take?

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
Well for the first time ever we are delaying a weekend away in the caravan. We were due to travel to Aberporth in the morning, but the winds there are forecast gusting to 57mph. I know it is worse further north.
Our Coachman seems pretty sturdy in a blow, better than the Abbey before (perhaps because the sides were fibreglass rather than aluminium?) Once or twice when its been really bad we have turned the caravan in to the wind and more often parked the car (good old Disco!) between the caravan and prevailing wind direction but I don't think we have ever been blown at over 50mph before.
Apart from the obvious risk towing and prompted by the piece in the magazine about the Bailey that was rolled over (Ouch!), I wondered if there is any data from the manufacturers or anywhere else on just what it takes to blow a tourer over when pitched?

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
After what has been forcast I would not even think about it.
Choice is yours !

But have a look here before you make your mind up
Watch the video !!

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
We survived 3 weeks of force 7 Near Gale force winds on the Western Isles (Outer Hebrides) this summer, that's up to 38mph but gusting to double that - 2 of the days the wind went up to to force 8 Gale Force and one day was up to force 10 Storm/Whole Gale, up to 63mph but gusting over 100mph.
The site owner parked a coach right next to our caravan on the worst day - I'm not sure the caravan would have survived that unaided - we couldn't turn to face the wind because we were close to the eye and the direction was going right round several times a day.
We've towed in force 6 Strong Breeze which was gusting up to 58mph but it was tail-wind so stability wasn't threatened, fuel consumption was fantastic!

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The following is the latest from Metcheck:
Severe Gales and/or Snow

Areas Affected: Northern and western Scotland, northwest England and Northern Ireland

Valid: From 06:00 Thursday 08th December - 18:00 Friday 09th December 2011

This is an Advanced Weather Warning issued by Metcheck at 09:28 on Wednesday 07th December 2011.

A rapidly deepening Atlantic storm system will track east/northeast close to northern Scotland during Thursday and Friday. Widespread gales are expected to develop, with severe gales and storm force winds potentially occurring over parts of western Scotland, Northern Ireland and northern England. Gusts of wind may well exceed 80MPH in places.

As the winds veer north-westerly on Friday, there is the potential for a North Sea storm surge to occur, which would bring the risk of coastal flooding.

Whilst rain will also affect many areas, snow likely over high ground in Scotland with accumulations of over 10cm likely in some areas.

A combination of the above conditions will bring hazardous travelling conditions and extra care is advised.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why would anyone deliberately put themselves at risk knowing what is forecast,,,,,,,,,,,,beats me

May 12, 2011
Visit site
According to the BBc. The winds in Scotland reached an incredible 165mph....
Think you'd need to clamp the van to the ground to stop it taking off...
The winds here in Durham have been bad, i was hoping to have a trip with our van down to York, but unfortunately we deciced not to...

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
Just isn't worth the risk is it. We are now heading off this morning after a productive days Christmas shopping instead. Winds in Aberporth reached 60 mph yesterday and were obviously much worse further north. No brainer really.
smiley-smile.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts