How times have changed!

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Years back this meant Motorbility , now I believe the list of potential car choices is virtually unlimited including many excellent tugs.
DB406659-5E84-4A7A-BAF6-5A881F1C5A0D.jpeg

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
There was an old bloke with one in our local when I was a mere lad, and at the end of a session he would give his mate a lift home in it, I think they only came in that Egg shell blue, colour.

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
The Invacar! Blast from the past. Remember them well, growing up there was a charming gentleman on our estate who had one, gave him mobility and independence. Great convept and did a good job. They were withdrawn and then banned from public roads I think though early this century for safety reasons.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The Invacar! Blast from the past. Remember them well, growing up there was a charming gentleman on our estate who had one, gave him mobility and independence. Great convept and did a good job. They were withdrawn and then banned from public roads I think though early this century for safety reasons.
They aren't banned from public roads - all those owned by the government were scrapped but a few remain in private hands and can be used on UK public roads.

GAS

BANNED
Jun 5, 2015
Visit site
.... back in the day when you could park up at the edge of many football pitches up and down the country watching the game in a cosy warm environment... Now some stadiums its near impossible to get in for some disabled members of our community.....

GAS .... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
They aren't banned from public roads - all those owned by the government were scrapped but a few remain in private hands and can be used on UK public roads.

"......... It became illegal to drive an Invacar on UK roads on the 31 March 2003, and as they were all leased to drivers the government was able to recall the vast majority of them and they were all scrapped, along with the vehicles stockpiled in government warehouses.
Today very few Invacar models have survived. Those that have can be found in motoring museums or are privately owned"

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site

"......... It became illegal to drive an Invacar on UK roads on the 31 March 2003, and as they were all leased to drivers the government was able to recall the vast majority of them and they were all scrapped, along with the vehicles stockpiled in government warehouses.
Today very few Invacar models have survived. Those that have can be found in motoring museums or are privately owned"

"Ian’s Invacar was effectively banned from the road in 2003, but somehow his was part of a group of 15 that escaped the scrapman’s grab and now the former invalid carriage is insured, taxed and undergoing testing – so far this has revealed a huge oil leak and a serious carburettor fault. Ian hasn’t managed 17 miles in yet, let alone 170!"

Probably illegal as an invalid carriage but not as a motorcycle.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The invacar was great for disabled customers for there use in the past
As a youngster I saw a poor chap crash one. They were an absolute death trap and should never have been built in the first place! BB , I’ m not sure disabled people thought they were great. There again the Trabant served a Nation🤪

Last edited:
Reactions: Parksy

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
My grandfather who was very disabled by Rheumatoid Arthritis had one. Trouble was he couldn’t drive, ( I don’t think You needed a driving licence for one?) Anyway, I have a vivid childhood memory of my Father running down a Treorchy back lane, alongside it, yelling frantic instructions at my Grandfather who rapidly veered into a hedge. Don’t think it left the garage after that.
mel

Reactions: Parksy and Dustydog
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Didn't you also have various bubble cars like the BMW Isetta plus of course the Messerschmidt KR200. I think these came about due to an oil shortage at the time probably a Suez crisis in the '50's.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Didn't you also have various bubble cars like the BMW Isetta plus of course the Messerschmidt KR200. I think these came about due to an oil shortage at the time probably a Suez crisis in the '50's.
They were designed/built to help Italy and Germany rebuild after WW2, using trades/skills from the aircraft industry

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The Heinkel was made under licence by Trojan cars at Croydon Surrey. Lovely cars powered by a feisty Sachs 198 engine. Brother had one. It had a reverse gear!

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The Heinkel was made under licence by Trojan cars at Croydon Surrey. Lovely cars powered by a feisty Sachs 198 engine. Brother had one. It had a reverse gear!
Reverse gear avoided the embarrassment of parking front on to a wall and not being able to get out!

Hoomer

BANNED
Jun 11, 2018
Visit site
Years back this meant Motorbility , now I believe the list of potential car choices is virtually unlimited including many excellent tugs.

Not no more. The choice is now fairly limited and most larger cars and 4x4's are not in the scheme after serious rabble rousing by the Daily Hate

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts