How to measure the noseweight with scales ?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

I've frequently read about people measuring their vans noseweight with a pair of bathroom scales.

I picked a pair of scales today and want to do the same.

However I'm not sure what size / type of wood or whatever to connect between the hitch and the scales.

Any useful advice, tips or hints would be very welcome.

Thanks, Mike.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
This works for me: put a small piece of ply etc flat on the scales to spread the weight and (hopefully) get a more accurate reading. Put caravan on level ground, with the hitch at the height that it would be on the towball (which should mean that the van is level or slightly nose-down). Measure the distance between hitch and scales, and cut a piece of 3" x 3" to size. Chock the wheels properly and release the handbrake. With the wood standing vertically on the scales, lower the hitch so that the scales take the load.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have always used bathroom scales and used to use a bit of wood but recently I tried with the wood and then just put the jockey wheel on the scales and wound it down until the hitch just cleared the tow bar and the difference was only 2kg!!! and well within the tolerence of the scales.

I have also bought a Caravan Weight control fron Reich. Fantastic bit of kit and this enable you to check the overall mass of the caravan.You just roll the caravan over it. Cost about

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Mike

just read your quetsion answered by Mike P this is correct except that only a peice of 1" dowle is needed it must fit inside the cupling head, which is where this weight muts be measured, as if a nose weight gage is used that is where it is put. Please DO NOT put the jockey wheel on the scales as this will be a false reading, The cupling head gose onto the tow ball not the jocky wheel. This is a once of exercise once you have the weight right then each time you load put items in same place.

Happy trecking

Jim M

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts