How to reverse a caravan

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
In the latest blog in our series covering towing basics, our experts talks you through reversing a caravan, to help you back up like a pro. Read more here. We hope it's helpful!

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
As an ex-HGV driver who'se job involved reversing large articulated lorries into some awkward places at times, the one top tip that I'd add to David Motton's advice would be to try to arrange to reverse into a pitch space with the drivers side nearest to the pitch whenever possible, the opposite to that shown in the diagram.
Sometimes the layout means that this is not possible, so there's no other choice but to reverse from the 'blind side' as shown in the diagram on the article, but if the choice presents itself, perhaps by initially approaching from an on-site 'lane' next to yours, I usually try to have the pitch on my side so that I can see the rear corner of the caravan as I reverse into my pitch.
When I drove articulated lorries, a drive round the block to approach my entrance from the drivers side often saved time, effort, and was much safer because I could see the banksman (if I had one) and into the available space which the rear of my trailer was entering. ;)

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Some years ago my (first) son in law took his HGV test and shortly afterwards he accompanied me to put the caravan back into storage. My normal approach was to do as Parksy suggested, but even then after some years towing and CMHC course my brain resisted my attempts to think things through in mirror image. So I either required quite an number of attempts to get it into its tight space. or used the mover. However, arriving on the site my son in law asked if he could have a go. Considering he had never driven the car or manoeuvred a caravan he stuck it into its storage in one smooth operation. Yours, still green with envy!
I must admit though I am better when people aren't watching, which I guess is bit like putting up awnings too.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
I agree with Parksy , me being a bus driver I do the same if need to reverse and the same with car and caravan I always reversing to my right so I can see where I am reversing to. But I must admit since getting our new one and getting a mover put on reversing is at a minimum now to save on the clutch.

Craig .

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
I agree with Parksy , me being a bus driver I do the same if need to reverse and the same with car and caravan I always reversing to my right so I can see where I am reversing to. But I must admit since getting our new one and getting a mover put on reversing is at a minimum now to save on the clutch.
Craig,
I must admit i try and keep reversing, or very slow forward crawls to a minimum as the DSG and Powershift gearboxes can wear out their clutches just like a manual, and cannot be treated like the more traditional torque convertor/epicyclic gearbox. I positively race up my levelling ramps! In September my daughter bought a Powershift Focus with low miles and just over three year old. Ford have recently replaced the clutch packs at their expense and Im told are now moving away from Powershift.

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
otherclive said:
... i try and keep reversing, or very slow forward crawls to a minimum as the DSG and Powershift gearboxes can wear out their clutches just like a manual
The low ratio on a traditional 4x4 helps, but recently manufacturers are tending not to include the feature, to save cost.

I don't have any trouble with the theoretical geometry. As a kid I had a hobby of making quite large Meccano vehicles and remember once spending an hour or so reversing a model articulated truck with a trailer round a corner.

But that was viewing from above. The big problem I find is the visibility, and the towing mirrors either see only the side of the caravan or empty space. I should get a camera on the rear of the caravan, that should help a lot.

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
I totally agree Parksy! A few years ago I was asked to do a piece for PCV magazine (basic tips or something like that) and recommended always trying to reverse to the offside so that you could see the rear corner of the caravan, especially if you don’t have any one to guide you.

I once learned the hard way when reversing to the nearside, and caught the rear offside corner of the caravan on a wall. :oops:

HNB

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
As a curent hgv driver, one thing that was always taught to me, plan your manouver before you do it, look at how your going to do it first, get your vehicle in the best corect postion (prefrabley straight) and dont be afraid to use as much room up that is available to you...but more importantly, if in doubt..stop get out and check

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I agree with all above,I always try to drive past with the pitch on the right.As a footnote to any newbies who are worried about reversing your unit,get hooked up and go to an industrial estate,preferably with offices.All shut at weekends and plenty of spaces,and space to practice till your hearts content.Obviosly I'd recommend a course,but being tight works for me. ;)

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
Brasso530 said:
.... go to an industrial estate,preferably with offices.All shut at weekends and plenty of spaces,and space to practice till your hearts content.
I tried that once, not to practice with a caravan but to align my headlights on a large blank wall. For the pupose I had put in some heavy toolboxes to represent passenger weight. A police car soon arrived and I ended up being questioned as if I had been intending to break in with the tools :oops:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts