How wide will you go??

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
I'm not sure about 8' wide vans, especially with sites (mostly CLs) which are located down what look like muddy footpaths. I've driven past campsites which was awkward solo, who knows how caravans got in there with oncoming traffic.

In my own experience, I've had to wait for an abandoned car, on the approach road to a site, to be removed by the police; otherwise I would have had to put the offside (the side with 4 windows) through a hedge and dodge a telegraph pole to sneak past - probably not possible with an 8-footer. Hilariously, whilst waiting, a person who decided to not wait, rode past on a bike and moaned to the Cop that he'd scratched the windows on his new van on the hedge.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
That extra few inches will cause a few problems for some, and possibly some site entrances will be tight, but I think they will be rare.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I'm not sure about 8' wide vans, especially with sites (mostly CLs) which are located down what look like muddy footpaths. I've driven past campsites which was awkward solo, who knows how caravans got in there with oncoming traffic.
We are only talking about 6" and not 6'. LOL! Never had an issue with ours although some very tight spots.

Reactions: JezzerB
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
It really isn't an issue-the one tight spot we had we managed very easily but worst to worst i'd have motormoved it out of the gate-wouldn't have inconvenienced traffic for a few seconds getting over the road!

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
It really isn't an issue-the one tight spot we had we managed very easily but worst to worst i'd have motormoved it out of the gate-wouldn't have inconvenienced traffic for a few seconds getting over the road!
i was talking to a couple today who got the same caravan they said towing the 8ft wide wasn"t a issue

May 7, 2012
Visit site
They could be an issue on some storage sites, though possibly because the pitches were designed with narrower models in mind, and they could be a bit narrow if you get two or three together.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
It was interesting leaving a CL yesterday as it was off a road that was only just of 8' wide and had kerbs. As you leave the site you need to turn sharp left however on your right on the corner they have a large tree so when turning right you need to be careful that rear end does not catch the tree. If single axle I don't think there would be an issue.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
If storag;e were that tight we wouldn't pay for it-all our pitches on storage have space to open the door and more besides-no issue if all were 8foot wide along the whole site. Length is more an issue-he has some demarcated twin axle sites as some are a bit short.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We use a CAMH site and they do give a good width even though the man next to us has bought an 8 ft Bailey so we have no problem. Last site we used was far closer but we had to park at an angle, not sure how they are managing now.

Reactions: JezzerB
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Where we store or van in a Barn, it seems like the motor homes on either side of dont know, how to park. They get so close its stupid. I have placed markers on the back wall to help, maybe they need a new licence catorgory. B + MH ( Motor home ).
Sunday afternoon rant over, time for the Woosie fest Jacobs table. Wine bread Hummus, chicken thighs, and Parksys lemon cake.

Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
The storage is 10 minutes from home and under £300 a year with security gate and CCTV. So I'm happy where I am at the moment, and new caravan is not on the cards for several years, if we saw an 8 footer that we had to have then I would certainly look for a new site.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Where we store or van in a Barn, it seems like the motor homes on either side of dont know, how to park. They get so close its stupid. I have placed markers on the back wall to help, maybe they need a new licence catorgory. B + MH ( Motor home ).
Sunday afternoon rant over, time for the Woosie fest Jacobs table. Wine bread Hummus, chicken thighs, and Parksys lemon cake.
How was the food on Sunday afternoon did you enjoy it :)

Sep 18, 2021
Visit site
Further to my search for replacement Adria roof light, I took advice sending pics to dealer of the external rectangular dome and ordered from dealer. The actual cost for just the outside double glazed plastic came £476, 6 to 8 weeks delivery. Being a Yorkshire man, I had to lay down in a dark room for several hours after paying for it.

Reactions: otherclive

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts