Hymer B544 heating system

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone, Im thinking of purchasing a Hymer B544, specifically for the short length, spacious layout which can accomodate 8 people around the table and the reputation for a good build, does anyone know if it has the Alde heating system fitted as standard and if so what year would they have started fitting this system, I know some of the older Hymers (03 , 04) have the Trauma Blown air system, but is this noisy, does it keep you warm and is it costly on your battery power and gas,I would prefer the Alde system as I have experianced this in a Dethleff Globetrotter and I know its silent, extremely warm (not sure how it comapres to power and gas consumption though). Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Chris

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Unsure what year you are buying. As new, the Hymer 544 offers an Artic pack which has Alde heating. Do not know whether you can get in this country. Most, if not all, Hymer 544s will come with the Truma blown air system.
I have an 05 plate Hymer 544 and its brilliant. I tend to use an oil filled raidator [De Longhi] to keep up the temperature and the Truma to get warm. Later Trumas offer the option of gas/electric heaters. I've never been cold in the UK but then the lowest temperature was -8C. It drinks gas, we used about 7kg every two days on just gas but we were toasty warm. However, it is well insulated and will be no more hungry than similar vans on the Truma system.
After 05, the quality of build on Hymers was said to get worse as they cut costs and weight to remain cmpetitive. Don't know if it is true but it was a common comment. Latest Hymers seem to be better built again.
The curved front Hymers lacked bed width over the cab so that needs to be checked. New ones seem better but you will have to check. Downside of the bigger bed in the snub nosed Hymers is that forward visibility is hampered by the windscreen pillars and screen blinds.
Rapido do a similar layout with similar build quality. Pilote's version seemed a lower build quality for me when I looked last year.
You will be hard pressed to fit 6 around the table let alone 8. The table is permanently in place in mine which takes getting used to.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the rapid response, much appreciated. It was the 04 or 05 plate I was thinking about. It seems there are two types of B544 unless I'm mistaken, one has two twin settees facing forward and backward on drivers side with table between and a sideways bench settee on passenger side, the other (which I prefer) has sideways bench settees both sides with table in centre, I looked at one in Lowdhams and could seat 3 either side and still had the 2 front swivel seats which could be used to make 8 people around the table. It seemed comfortable enough.
We tend to go on the weekend meets which dont have mains so oil radiators wouldn't be much good, however, if the Truma system keeps us warm thats fine, do you know if its noisy at all?
regards
Chris

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts