Hypothermia?

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
We are going away in the van over New Year. Teenage lad insists that he will not sleep in the van due to OHs snoring and that he will sleep in the awning in the low sleeping annexe that we have. He will sleep on an airbed with a duvet under him; he will be in a sleeping bag and with a high tog Duvet over him. He will wear thick pyjamas and a fleece. If we have typical January temperatures; is he going to perish of hypothermia? If this is the case there are advantages as he is an adolescent boy and therefore opinionated, loud and smelly; but I am quite fond of him. Should I have the fight and make him sleep in the van?
mel

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Shouldn't be a problem Mel.We camped in the last really cold snap with the exact set up you describe.If he finds it too cold,he will soon come back into the van.

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
I think that dampness will be a bigger problem than the low temperatures. From my winter camping days I can remember being lovely and warm in bed but the bedding always felt cold and damp on the outside. A mummy type sleeping bag will keep him warmer than a standard squared one and it will also help to keep his head warm. Failing that a woollen or thermal hat is handy to keep ears warm. If all else fails find him a young lady to keep him warm :)

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
graham_somersham said:
. If all else fails find him a young lady to keep him warm :)
Flippin' 'eck Graham; he is only 14. As it is I am prescribing cold showers and a run around the field to keep his mind off thoughts of a carnal nature.
smiley-embarassed.gif
He'll have to manage with a hot water bottle.

thanks both of you for the reassurance.
mel

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Mel Clip him around the ear and tell him not to be so silly
smiley-laughing.gif

But think I would agree with Mullsy he will come in if too cold
13.gif
The little devil will return.
13.gif

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
From memory of my camping days long ago you need at least as much insulation under you as above, if not much more. A sleeping bag on top of a thermal mat is usual for winter so he'll freeze if he only has a duvet on top, however thick.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
He's a teenager they are all pretty soft and wet :) He'll be in at the first shiver!! Keep up the cold showers and the runs should be naked while drip drying says he with three girls here!! He needs to keep that up until he's at least 80!!

Nov 5, 2006
Visit site
The air bed is the problem, as the cold will transmit from the ground keeping the air inside cold.An insulated sleeping mat under the air bed is a good idea or if you have room a sheet of 1" polystyrene foam.& if possible another mat on top of the air bed

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
When I was in the army, 1970, we where out on Soltau plains in west Germany for 8 weeks in temps -25c. We had nothing but tents in base camp and most of us had no camp beds. The most important thing to keep warm is plenty of insulation from the ground. Air bed with a very good winter sleeping bag would suffice. The materials they use today are well tested and used in all types of weather. This depends on how much your prepaired to spend on a one off situation. Other than a new sleeping bag, plenty of insulation beneath, The lightweight sleeping rolls are good and a fleece on top of the sleeping bag would probably be ok. One thing to remember, if your too walm, you can always take things off, if your cold, you can't put them on if you aint got em.
smiley-laughing.gif
So plenty in reserve and he will be fine and may enjoy the adventure or put up with the snooring.
smiley-cry.gif

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Thank you one ansd all for your helpful suggestions. I will make sure he is well insulated underneath and take comfort in the notion that the chill will curb his teenage hormones.
mel

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Mel
Get a Grip here.
When we were boys in the 60s under a Blacks of Greenock canvas the key thing was a decent ground sheet and then a feather down sleeping bag. I never got cold.

So what's changed
smiley-undecided.gif

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Mel
Get a Grip here.
When we were boys in the 60s under a Blacks of Greenock canvas the key thing was a decent ground sheet and then a feather down sleeping bag. I never got cold.

So what's changed
smiley-undecided.gif

DD, what's changed is that kinds have become gret big wusses!!
When I was 11 years old, my folks gave me a new bike for passing the 11+. I then packed it with all my camping gear (tent,stove and sleeping bag) and went off for a week, all on my own.Nothing to do with the OP perhaps, but nowadays kids aren't allowed to walk down the street on their own!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts